Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just purchased my 2017 Tucson SE and I’m pretty sure my passenger tweeter is blown. The bass in this thing is terrible, and I assume I can blow the speakers fairly easily given that I’m pretty sure the tweeter blew when my phone started ringing (the volume for the ringtone shot to full blast and I’m still not sure why.) I had a crazy sound system with a 500W amp and 12” sub in my old Nissan Xterra. I didn’t want to take up my whole trunk with that setup however, so...

My question is: What are the best audio upgrade options for this model? Is the cutout for the subwoofer in the front doors standard? Would this model have it? Would a 4 channel amp help protect my speakers from getting blown?

I’m not totally clear on all of this, but I definitely want more bass and I want volume without blowing my speakers.

Thanks in advance for any advice here guys!

19 Posts
While I don't have any upgrade recommendations I am surprised that your Tucson has such a poor sound system. I have a 2017 Base model and the stereo is fantastic, the bass is good enough to shake my mirrors if I crank it up. Any chance that the dealership will help you out with the blown tweeter?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.0T
253 Posts
Quality of a sound system is so subjective. And of course taste in music. A person like me isn't going down the road thumping bass in his neighborhood so the sound system is fine for me.

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out, the tweeter actually doesn’t seem to be blown. When my phone is connected via Bluetooth, the sound is a bit scratchy and made the tweeter sound shakey and possibly blown. But if I plug the phone directly into the USB port, the sound is better.

I agree, sound system quality is subjective. I had a pretty intense system in my old vehicle, so any stock system doesn’t give the “vibrato” I’m looking for. Lol.

I will check out that thread and see what I can do. I’ve had some work done by GeekSquad at Best Buy in the past. I asked the dealership about upgrading the sound system and was told they don’t do that. So maybe I will check with them and see what they can do?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I came from a 2017 BMW and it's Harman Kardon 16 speaker system and so the Hyundai is a world apart. Its not the volume for me so much as the quality of the sound. Having said that, in the UK, even the the top of the range model doesn't come with the amp and sub-woofer so it's super weak and tinny.

I don't really want to spend much so I think I'm just going to swap out the speakers with better quality ones and maybe get some bass later.

I wonder if that invalidates the warranty?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, we got the short stick in Europe, none of the trims here have a central speaker or amp+woofer in the trunk (maybe it'll improve now with the facelift?). So if you don't have it as well, you can try adding an amplifier and upgrading the speakers (the "4 speakers 2 tweeters" version does not have an amp)

What some people in the local community did with some measure of success was to install a small form factor HLI amplifier (high level input, since the stock headunit does not have preamp outputs) that fits behind the headunit (most were successful with Pioneer GM-D1004) and changed the speakers with Focal Auditor R-165S2 (speaker with separate tweeter) in the front and R-165C (speaker with integrated tweeter) in the rear which are 90% drop-in upgrades (except for the tweeters in the front which need a bit of work).

Unfortunately the cars that have OEM amplifier are connected to it via S/PDIF so you would need a more expensive amplifier if that's your case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts