Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What are a good brand of brakes that are most compatible with factory. Specifically, pads and rotors. I am considering PowerStop brand Z17. Has anyone had problems with the dealer when aftermarket brakes are installed?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
All should be compatible but not all the same but then again some are boxed, renamed and sold for less.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I replaced mine with PowerStop Evolution ceramic (F&R) and they are fine, so the Z17's should be good to go. The only thing that I don't do and have never done is what they call bedding in the pad. Just install and drive, no problems ever.
Dealer would have no say in the pads you decide to use.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Powerstop Z 23 are a better choice IMO , Carbon Fiber / Ceramic and not much more $ than the Z 17 kits.

I have used EBC for 20 years but the last set of EBC Red Stuff I installed on my Sonata only lasted about 30,000 and were also noisey and almost 2 x the price of Powerstop.

I just replaced all 4 with Powerstop pads about 8,000 miles ago and they are quiet, and stop very much better than OE. Also no dust so far.
K7510 is the kit for a 2015-2018 Sonata Sport 2.0T with 12.6" front rotors and manual parking brake. Comes with all new hardware, rubber boots and pads and rotors. $282 from Rock Auto

K7511 is for the Sport (12.6 front rotor) with electronic parking brake

If your rotors are good pads alone front and rear are about $ 90 ($40 f - 30 rear from Rock Auto)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. I have what I can only describe as a "creaking noise" in the lower front end. The control arms, links and even the steering rack was replaced - all under a Platinum HMA thankfully. However the problem persisted. When I pushed for a more thorough diagnosis, the dealer claims it's coming from the front brakes and that they are "after market". The rotors are in need of resurfacing/replacement but that shouldn't be making that sound. The sound is like an old door closing (creaking not squealing) which I thought may have been bushings in the sway bar or even strut bushings. If I pay about $300 for a Z23 kit or EBC or even on the lower end with a Z17 kit, I don't want to hear that the brakes are not within factory standards and they will dismiss the problem to that.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I installed the Z17 kit(rotors & Pads) just over a year ago. I followed the mfg bed-in procedure. They stop better than the OEM did. However, the OEM rotors were warped and that was the main driver for me replacing in the first place. Dusting is ok, with regular car washes they wipe clean each time with a damp towel. Pads still look pretty fresh with ~15K miles on them. Had warranty bearing replacements while the rotors and pads were on and no issue from dealer. If you use parts that are designed for your vehicle, I would hope you don't have an issue. They would have to claim or prove your parts caused the problem.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks for all the responses.
. If I pay about $300 for a Z23 kit or EBC or even on the lower end with a Z17 kit, I don't want to hear that the brakes are not within factory standards and they will dismiss the problem to that.
If you replace the brakes with anything other than Hyundai OEM and that is the cause of the problem your Hyundai warranty probably will not cover the repair (replacement of aftermarket parts) because your after market parts are causing the problem.
EBC, Powerstop, Raybestos all the major manufacturers meet or exceed the OEM requirements and using any of them as a replacement will not void your warranty for anything else on the car. So if the noise is not the brake pads / rotors and you have replaced them with non Hyundai parts then the other part / s that are causing the noise will be covered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For my 2013 2.0T, I have Power Stop's Z23 front and rear brake rotor and pad kit (K5376 on Amazon) for over 36,000 miles now. Comparable, if not better, braking performance as OEM. However, they are noticeably louder when braking in the rain, which may likely be due to the drilled/slotted design.

If you decide to tackle installation yourself, be aware the rear suspension design on this car is not service friendly and will require more time to complete than the fronts. You'll need to disassemble part of the lower suspension to reach a bolt holding on the brake caliper bracket.

I haven't been to a dealer for over 50k miles now, except for recall related issues and a recent poor fuel economy problem (which they were completely useless for). But, as other people have mentioned if you have brake related problems, a dealer can easily point to aftermarket brakes as the cause of the issue to avoid any warranty related work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you replace the brakes with anything other than Hyundai OEM and that is the cause of the problem your Hyundai warranty probably will not cover the repair (replacement of aftermarket parts) because your after market parts are causing the problem.
EBC, Powerstop, Raybestos all the major manufacturers meet or exceed the OEM requirements and using any of them as a replacement will not void your warranty for anything else on the car. So if the noise is not the brake pads / rotors and you have replaced them with non Hyundai parts then the other part / s that are causing the noise will be covered.
Hi,
The problem that I had the car into the dealer originally was a creaking/groaning noise. I thought it may have been bad bushings in sway bar, struts, something else. They replaced the steering rack, bearings, links, lower control arms - all covered under a HMA. Taking delivery of the car showed the problem still there. After a more thorough diagnosis, determined it was bad after market brakes. Question: What is good after market brakes. In their view, they would say no after market brands are as good as OEM. I just want the car fixed so I can unload it. Too many things going wrong on a 2012 car with about 34k miles well cared for. Oh and might I mention the engine threw a rod too while they had it and that was replaced too along with a VERY expensive ($3106) radio replacement.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi,
The problem that I had the car into the dealer originally was a creaking/groaning noise. I thought it may have been bad bushings in sway bar, struts, something else. They replaced the steering rack, bearings, links, lower control arms - all covered under a HMA. Taking delivery of the car showed the problem still there. After a more thorough diagnosis, determined it was bad after market brakes. Question: What is good after market brakes. In their view, they would say no after market brands are as good as OEM. I just want the car fixed so I can unload it. Too many things going wrong on a 2012 car with about 34k miles well cared for. Oh and might I mention the engine threw a rod too while they had it and that was replaced too along with a VERY expensive ($3106) radio replacement.
****, that car is snake bit.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi,
Then have them do the brakes or if you are a DIYer buy the OEM pads from on line Hyundai Dealer and do it yourself, you will save hundreds and if the noise is still there take it to the dealer and complain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts