Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the belt that connects to the water pump and alternator snapped on my way to work so I had to limp it home on the highway I didn’t know it was connected to the pump at first so I was going highway speed and out of nowhere heard a deep grinding sound and then notice the car overheating. Once I slowed down the temp came back to normal though. My question is does anyone have an idea of what that grinding noise could’ve been? Fixing the car tomorrow but now I’m scared to turn it on

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
114 Posts
So the belt that connects to the water pump and alternator snapped on my way to work so I had to limp it home on the highway I didn’t know it was connected to the pump at first so I was going highway speed and out of nowhere heard a deep grinding sound and then notice the car overheating. Once I slowed down the temp came back to normal though. My question is does anyone have an idea of what that grinding noise could’ve been? Fixing the car tomorrow but now I’m scared to turn it on
You knew you lost the belt that runs the water pump and you still drove it? You wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You knew you lost the belt that runs the water pump and you still drove it? You wild.

I didn’t know I lost the belt that drives the water pump at first. Once I knew I didn’t have a choice but to limp it about 5 miles to get it home. I live in rural Canada so getting a tow truck out would cost an arm and a leg and I have no buddies that I could’ve called to tow it back with a strap

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
114 Posts
I didn’t know I lost the belt that drives the water pump at first. Once I knew I didn’t have a choice but to limp it about 5 miles to get it home. I live in rural Canada so getting a tow truck out would cost an arm and a leg and I have no buddies that I could’ve called to tow it back with a strap
Well legit you didn’t have much of a choice. Sad to say but it’s very possible the engine is toast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well legit you didn’t have much of a choice. Sad to say but it’s very possible the engine is toast.

Well I guess I’ll find out just about to head in to pickup the new belt and the power steering belt since I’m already there and I’ll post an update once they’re on and coolant is topped up fingers crossed all will be well

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Accent GS
114 Posts
Well I guess I’ll find out just about to head in to pickup the new belt and the power steering belt since I’m already there and I’ll post an update once they’re on and coolant is topped up fingers crossed all will be well
Look for telltale signs, like oil in coolant. Best you can do now is replace all the belts, and hope for the best. It really sucks that these accents don’t have a proper temperature gauge.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I guess you figure an engine is cheaper and or easier than a tow truck. I don't get your rational but it could change once you get the bill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look for telltale signs, like oil in coolant. Best you can do now is replace all the belts, and hope for the best. It really sucks that these accents don’t have a proper temperature gauge.

All turned out well in accent world put the new belts on topped off the coolant and took her for a test drive after she was at operating temp. no white smoke, no overheating, and no coolant in the oil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
N
I guess you figure an engine is cheaper and or easier than a tow truck. I don't get your rational but it could change once you get the bill.
Never said an engine is cheaper than a tow. But I’ve had to deal with overheated engines before and I know how to deal with them. This was the first time I’ve ever heard that noise from an overheated engine so that’s why I asked what you guys could’ve had an idea of what it was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts