Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to what time interval the belt for the alternator and other accessories has to be changed? Also what the labor and parts would be? Just want to plan ahead for the future incase its really expensive.

·
22,793 Posts
Check your owner's manual for service intervals. It's also listed in the little booklet inside your glove box for recording oil changes, etc. It hould be posted there, as well.

As far as labor rates, call your dealer and inquire to get a "ballpark" estimate.. But expect those rates to increase over time. A local shop might save you over dealer rates. Just make sure to save your receipts and log it down. Using another shop for things like this will not impact your warranty.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I usually start inspecting them for cracks/age at 3 years 60,000 miles or so but they can last 6-8 years and 90,000 as well. many techs will say that one should not keep a belt on beyond 8 years due to age and crack related failures regardless of the miles. Comes down to after 3-4 years start looking closely for signs. Cost, don't know but these appear to be pretty easy to get to so guestimate, 100-200.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The belt itself if you source it yourself will run you about $10 for a good one (check RockAuto.com). Labor is another thing. Just shop around or if you're handy do it yourself. I have always changed my belts at 100,000 miles even if they still looked good. But I also do my own maintenance so the actual cost is low for preventative measures.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The belt itself if you source it yourself will run you about $10 for a good one (check RockAuto.com). Labor is another thing. Just shop around or if you're handy do it yourself. I have always changed my belts at 100,000 miles even if they still looked good. But I also do my own maintenance so the actual cost is low for preventative measures.
:thumbsup: look for cracks, if there are any change it.
Dont over tighten that will screw your bearing in the idler wheel and put extra drag on the engine.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The only belt(s) that can get really expensive are the timing belt and balance shaft belt, something the MD Elantra does NOT have. If you're handy, swapping out the serpentine belt shouldn't be too challenging and the part is dirt cheap.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The only belt(s) that can get really expensive are the timing belt and balance shaft belt, something the MD Elantra does NOT have. If you're handy, swapping out the serpentine belt shouldn't be too challenging and the part is dirt cheap.

Do it with cold engine... I have a nice burn mark on left center forearm from changing belt on a car that came in and fella waiting on it.. pink spot now with red dot in middle, was about size of dollar coin, first degree burn, week before last it happened.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The service manual says
Cracks on the rib side of a belt are considered acceptable. If the belt has chunks missing from the ribs, it should be replaced.
Still, if I had 60,000 miles and had some serious cracks, I'd still replace it. Cheap enough insurance. the fan belt is currently from 3 to 14 bucks at Rockauto.com.

It is 2013 now. Son of a gun, if there isn't now a smart phone app for measuring the wear of a belt. Look up PIC gauge by Gates. I've never used it before so can't recommend it. It doesn't get very good reviews, but maybe with some some time, revisions will improve it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
...the fan belt ...
Are you in your 30's or older? "the fan belt"...showing your age. :D

Last car that I had that had a fan belt was a 1990 Bronco II.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Guilty. I'm twice that age and carry life's little scars to show it. :eek: I even still drive a car that has a real live "fan belt" At least it did until I replaced the belt-driven fan with an electric fan. it still has the belt though. So does that belt's name now change? It is still the same belt.

The name of the belt is irrelevant to me. It still is a belt (at least for now). I think I'll still call them all fan belts, whether "V" shaped or ribbed. It is tough to change habits.

BTW, thanks for making me think about my age!:D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Guilty. I'm twice that age and carry life's little scars to show it. :eek: I even still drive a car that has a real live "fan belt" At least it did until I replaced the belt-driven fan with an electric fan. it still has the belt though. So does that belt's name now change? It is still the same belt.

The name of the belt is irrelevant to me. It still is a belt (at least for now). I think I'll still call them all fan belts, whether "V" shaped or ribbed. It is tough to change habits.

BTW, thanks for making me think about my age!:D
LOL. I'm in my 30's and still catch myself calling it a fan belt. I'm almost comfortable calling it a serpentine belt now. I still keep reminding myself that I have a transaxle and not technically a transmission. :D Just so people think I know what I'm talking about.

·
22,793 Posts
LMAO! I know its "new" name. Have even referred to it as such. But being "another" proud member of the aging Old Geezer's Club," it "was" a fan belt, it "is" a fan belt, and it will "forevermore" be a fan belt. :grin:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm almost comfortable calling it a serpentine belt now
And if this same belt's routing just happened to have no angle that was >180 degrees, would it still be called a serpentine belt?

Just askin'

Maybe I should learn to call it a fan(ish) belt. Naw..... I'm too old to learn now!

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts