Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 sonata (144k +/-) refused to start on a cold morning (< 10 F), the car would crank but not start, the dash lit up normal, radio came on, etc. Thinking it was a semi-dead battery I called for a jump, only for a more experienced ear to hear something might have been off with the timing belt. No codes were thrown. Off it went to the mechanics who got it into their cozy shop and began to examine it.
- the timing belt was in perfect condition.
- all fluids were good
- they put a chemical in the cooling system to check for carbon monoxide, which I am told is a reliable way to check to see if the head gasket are compromised some how and that came back clear, the head gasket are good.
- spark plugs & wires were good.
- battery is good.
- crank position sensor replaced about 2 years ago (and it didn't do this when it started going bad, which makes me think its not the problem)
-recently replaced thermostat and radiator cap when original thermostat began to fail - it never over heated, but temp gauge did get just under 3/4 way up. It never got to red.

it started up and ran fine for the mechanic; Drove it home without issue.

Apart from being a cranky old lady who doesn't like cold weather, any ideas on what is wrong? unfortunately we don't have access to a garage so that isn't an option. But a car that won't start isn't an option either. Apart from this the car has been a relative dream and we really need to have it last until the spring or beyond.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Once the car was in the shop how long did it warm up before it started? How full was your tank? What I'm getting at is maybe it was frozen. Last week here in Chicago it was around 5deg. one morning and my 03 did the same thing. I pushed it into my garage turned on the heat and waited about two hours. Started up no problem. I only had a 1/4 tank maybe less and didnt add any additive like "heat".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not quite sure how long they let it warm up, f
but I would guess long enough to take some of the 10 degree ambient temperature chill out of the metal. At least that's what I would have done. I wondered if some snow had gotten tossed into a place it didn't belong and froze thus causing an issue. Happily its been downright balmy here since then and we have had no further issues. I guess we will find out when the next arctic cold front passes by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to add it had a 1/2 tank of gas without anything added; I have been driving on it with out issue for the past week so I don't think that's the issue?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts