Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still wondering what the he|| it was. Does anybody know what this could have been, I'm baffled?

My transmission would only sometimes shift into second gear, i mean sometimes as in, i'd have to shift from neutral to first a few times before I could shift into second gear. I would shift into second gear, and it wouldn't pop out - it wouldn't grind - it would just catch all the way through the rpms.

One of the cables SEEMED to not be moving upon trying to shift into second, it felt like i was hitting a wall inside the shift box when going from first to second.

Just wanting to know, out of curiosity. Figured why my first motor blew out, so after selling - I just want to kind of come to terms with what was wrong.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
So I assume this repeated shifts into 1st are while you are rolling at speed, still trying to get it into 2nd? My transmission pretty much wont let me shift to first unless I am crawling (going super slow)

maybe your synchros were completely shot? I am pretty far from a transmission expert but i thought if they were gone you pretty much have to get your rpms just right before it lets you go into gear.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine running - car stationary is when I had noticed the problem, even though it DID happen while rolling too.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
My transmission really fights me when i try to shift from 3rd to 2nd. It doesn't seem to be any easier if i double clutch and seems a bit easier if i let the RPMs get down further before trying. Shifts fine from 1st to 2nd though. Your problem reminded me of mine.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My transmission really fights me when i try to shift from 3rd to 2nd. It doesn't seem to be any easier if i double clutch and seems a bit easier if i let the RPMs get down further before trying. Shifts fine from 1st to 2nd though. Your problem reminded me of mine.
i hate transmissions.

350 Posts
Some synchro stacks respond better to more drag in the gear oil than others. Sometimes it is better to accept a little more overall friction to gain better shifting characteristics.

Essentially, a case against synthetic gear oil.

Once the synchro wears out though, it's generally not going to get better without replacement.

Also worth adjusting or replacing the shifter mechanism. Bushing wear?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts