Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its possible, this car is light and handles well that it can beat 400 hp cars at the track. At least thats what im told . I havent personally done it but i hear over on the rio forums that they do it all the time. Accent and rio are pretty much the same car

·
22,793 Posts
Never discount driver skills. Best car on the track is, pretty much, worthless in the hands of an amateur. And the reverse is true, as well.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
light weight with a few suspension upgrades. its all about power/weight ratio. i can't speak for the newer gamma engines since i've had almost no exposure to them, but the older accent engines didn't allow for much headroom for upgrades...i think it was anything beyond 6psi turbo boost and you'd be risking damaging the pistons themselves.

maybe someone can fill me in? love to learn more about these new engines.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I highly doubt it, unless they're running on a go kart track; something that's all curves with no straightaways where the power of the 400hp car is never used beyond 30% potential.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the Accent would get passed like it's standing still. My other car is around 250hp, going from that to the Accent, it's so slow it's not funny. I'd say ask them to post a vid if they "do it all the time" but I already know they're just playing pretend on the internet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is not happening unless the owner of the 400hp car is driving in reverse. If they have 400hp, they most likely have put money into their suspension as well.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Its possible, this car is light and handles well that it can beat 400 hp cars at the track.
My other car is around 250hp, going from that to the Accent, it's so slow it's not funny.
Yeah, lots of braggarts on lots of auto websites, fer shore. Maybe the Accent will beat a Formula One car. Formula One only has 1.6 liter engines now. RPM redlines are down from 18,000 to 15,000 this year. Even with the Formula One turbo, the Accent should easily handle the Formula One car to 200mph. :D:eek::D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lol, that's funny right there. This Accent wouldn't stand a chance against my 230 hp Honda Accord. ****, I think my 195 hp 4x4 jeep grand cherokee would outrun this Accent.

While it's a great little car, it was never meant to go fast. It's slow as molasses.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a few snippets of what was said by a rio owner/owners

I just finished my first track day with the Kia Rio. I gotta say i am **** impressed at what this car can do. Why do say this with such confidence? well between me and my friend, we passed an Acura Integra, RSX, Mitsubishi Evo X, Evo VIII, Lexus ISF, and a few Mazda Miatas and bealive it or not, almost a Nissan GTR

The Rio may not be a sports car like a Porsche or BMW, but it has a lot of potential. Although it doesn't have a lot of power, it makes up for that in its weight and handling. When we initially tested the Rio we surprised how well it did at the track. We passed a few 400hp cars so we know there is something there worthwhile

The Car sure takes a lot of people by surprise, with its power to weight and torque. I wouldn't recomended racing in the street bealieve me its much more enjoyable passing STIs, Evo's and other higher power vehicles in professional track. Frankly because it's safer and people push their cars harder which makes it more enjoyable. For example, When we first tested the Rio it was in a technical track and we passed so many fast cars, one of them was the Lexus ISF, very nice car with 416hp to the rear wheels, but it weight a ton. We passed it, honked and waved. He was so determined to chase us, he went off the track into the dirt 3 times before he gave up.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Honestly, i think this depends on a lot of things; track, type of race, driver skill level(s), weather condition, amount/impact of mods.

It's possible to beat faster cars in slower cars depending on if you're racing an amateur driver, and if you can properly take advantage of the other car's weaknesses. It also depends on tires.

My 190hp Celica beat a Roush Mustang and a BMW M6 and i can tell you that in my case it was track, tires, amateur driver and weather that aided me (at least against the BMW).

In my opinion, if you want to beat faster cars, you focus heavily on cornering, corner exit, braking and eliminating understeer. Sticky tires help a lot; it's amazing how many people go to the track with just summer tires. This allows you typically beat them in corner exit.

Additionally, i think it's still important to work on your power-to-weight ratio, or more importantly, your torque-to-weight ratio. In the end, i think if you really dial this car in, you can beat higher hp factory cars. It'll be harder if you're up against higher hp cars that are also modded. As for the Kias beating higher horsepower cars, i mean, that could just be a 225hp Lexus IS350 or something, or sometimes people have 400hp+ in a pretty unrefined 1987 Firebird or something and don't handle the best. Just know your strengths and know their weaknesses and maybe you can make it happen. I'm a big fan of the underdog and i love seeing little hatchbacks shame cars like VW hatchbacks w/ cocky owners and such.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
. Just know your strengths and know their weaknesses and maybe you can make it happen. I'm a big fan of the underdog and i love seeing little hatchbacks shame cars like VW hatchbacks w/ cocky owners and such.
I agree it is nice to shame the cocky owners.but it is definately on driver ability, i was chased by a wrx sti the other day there is no way i would of beat him but he let me lead and we had a fun chase around town. On equal driving ability and if he wanted to rip past me he easily could of.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Yeah that's like my experience-- just driver skill. I think it was the Mustang and BMW owners' first time at the track. If you were to drop an instructor in their cars and one in mine, i doubt mine would have won, despite my tire and weight advantages. But it's all in fun. However i've found that in the car scene, people are very quick to dismiss you just because you don't have a high output motor or overly sophisticated suspension. But it's amazing what you can tune out of a car like a simple econobox. ****, the suspensions in our cars, as crass as they are, are still a bit more sophisticated than a lot of trans am cars from the 80s. I was watching some races from the late 70s and early 80s and they really didn't have very good suspensions.

And i think people get too hung up on who's faster than whom. There will always be faster and slower cars, and i think people should try to compare themselves to others less as to not become vein or bitter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts