Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for the terminology but I know nothing about automobiles.

I just brought my 2017 SFS into the dealership for some work. The check engine light came on the other day and I started having issues when I accelerated and the engine would shift gear. They just called me and said they have to run a bearing test and if it fails the whole engine needs to be replaced. She told me if it fails then the new engine is covered under warranty and I can get a loaner car at Enterprise and that would also be covered. I started thinking about this and I had a 2003 or 2004 Elantra that had a ball bearing come loose after 3 years and shattered parts of the engine and I needed to get that cars engine replaced as well.

I'm starting to think I should get away from Hyundai.

Is this just a coincidence?

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
You'll get a new engine an it will be good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It failed the bearing test, they said they are going to replace the engine. They said its gonna take like 2-3 weeks though. i just picked up the car they got me from Enterprise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to update it.

I just got my car back on wed. they had it for over a month, but at least they paid for a rental car for me. they replaced the engine and said its good now. they said it was an issue that they had a class action suit against them for so whatever it is that went wrong is now covered for life. I didn't get any paperwork yet cause apparently it was written up incorrectly so they have to redo it and said they'd mail it out to me when its done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
so, I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to update it.

I just got my car back on wed. they had it for over a month, but at least they paid for a rental car for me. they replaced the engine and said its good now. they said it was an issue that they had a class action suit against them for so whatever it is that went wrong is now covered for life. I didn't get any paperwork yet cause apparently it was written up incorrectly so they have to redo it and said they'd mail it out to me when its done.
I just had mine replaced on a 2015 2.0T with 61,000 miles. I have a few questions----
#1---What is a "lifetime warranty"? It is for the life of the car or the original 120,000 mile warranty?
#2---How reliable are the replacement engines? Or do they simply have the same problems that have plagued all Theta II engines? Meaning, are these engines so unreliable that a long trip is out of the question?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, as for #2, I have no idea how reliable the new engine is, I've only just gotten my car back about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I can't say how reliable it will be either, I just had both my cars' engines replaced. some have failed again in the past, but I don't know about recent replacements.Some have said there are some changes to the new engines, besides the software.
So time will tell...

Reactions: WhiteKenny

·
Registered
128 Posts
Someone correct me if i am wrong but the newer blocks have some design changes that reduce an issue the older blocks had with bore deformation. There are other changes like a redesigned oil pump/balance shaft assembly, and i believe that they added under piston oil jets (to help cool the pistons) in 2017.

Read this (with google translate):

1 - 11 of 11 Posts