Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so lately Ive been having alot of road noise coming from my Left Rear tire. Alot of friends of mine said it sounds like the wheel bearing is bad. I was going to purchase the part myself cuz funds are low right now with school and all. Most of the time I tend to get most of my parts from rock auto, but the problem is will I need the hub and bearing assembly or just the wheel bearing??? I was going to just go to a place like firestone and just worry about the full cost but the price they charge for the same parts is nearly double. Also does anyone know I specific brand for the part that is good. Any information is much appreciated..

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
How do you know your tire isn't bad? Usually it's the tire. Switch them around front to back first and rule out a tire problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm

well im at about 105K miles and the sound get louder as I accelerate plus there some slight vibration felt in the steering wheel also as speed increases. I thought maybe was the bearing cause the area I live in has a **** ton of speed bumps and not the rounded kind... the pattern speedbumps on the ground. The tires on the back were rotated/ moved to the back from the front recently and have 7/10 tread depth on both of them and the noise only comes from the left rear wheel. Unless tread isnt a factor... all signs seem to lead to the hub/bearing thing...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
you're on the right track i think, but with car repair diagnosis is key. a lot of people get the urge to replace parts because that's what they think it is - only to find out its not. in the end you waste your time and your money, and that's not what this is about.

so here's a tip to confirm before you order:
jack up that side of the the car, remove the wheel. try moving the hub up and down by hand, i usually grab the studs. it should feel solid and not have any play in it. if there is, you have a bad bearing.

simple test :)

as i always say, when jacking up a car safety is paramount. use jack stands and wheel chocks - pump jacks lift and a car will kill you if it lands on you!

also, torque your wheels properly when reinstalling the tire. torque wrench is your friend.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Move the tire front to rear, see if noise stay or follow.. if follow the change of position, then it is a tire noise.. tires is less $$ than wheel brg.

If noise stay, then we can assume bearing,, but I am not there to drive and hear the sound too.

Front is a bearing replacement witih bearing and snap ring, and some press work

Rear is done as an assembly (hub/bearing)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts