Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
The BCM in my 2003 tiburon V6 6speed has been damaged by a helpful employee. The BCM will need to be replaced. I have read so many conflicting reports on this. I don't have the fob for the car anymore. If I purchase a used BCM will it work ? are they specific to model and year? What if anything needs to be re programmed from the dealer? If I bought a donor car and switched out BCM , ECM and key mechanism would this work and avoid any re programming? The damaged BCM is a 95410 2C137
Any help would be much appreciated Thanks

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
The BCM will need to be replaced....I don't have the fob for the car anymore....What if anything needs to be re programmed from the dealer?
The only thing that would need to be programmed by the dealer is the fob. Since you don't have that you shouldn't need the dealer.

Part of the engine immobilizer is built into the BCM (dashboard fusebox) but it's just the key amplifier and doesn't need coded/programmed. Just be aware that the immobilizer part wont be in the BCM from cars built for the USA since they don't have the transponder key immobilizer. But if you get a used one from a Canadian car you "should" be OK. Tiburon BCMs fail regularly though so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot if faulty ones being sold online.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Are they specific to each model year and options , having a hard time finding the exact part number of mine. What validates the key? In other words if I install another BCM how will it recognize my key or chip in the key? THANKS

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Are they specific to each model year and options
I don't think so but I can't be 100% sure. Does your car have some high end options that might be missing from other models?

Deuce123 said:
What validates the key? In other words if I install another BCM how will it recognize my key or chip in the key?
The immobilizer is part of the engine computer. There's an amplifier in the BCM that amplifies the key signal before sending it to the computer. That part doesn't need to be coded.

A while back I had a customer with a Tiburon (called a Hyundai Coupe here in the UK) that wouldn't start because water had gotten into the BCM. I couldn't find a cheap replacement BCM for it but I managed to make it go again by taking the amplifier (SMARTRA unit) from a Hyundai Accent and splicing it into the wiring on the Tib. The key amplifier on most Hyundai models is a sepearte wee box but they built it onto the fusebox on the Tiburon/Coupe for some rea$on.

Scott.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I found on here somewhere a bunch of BCM number of what is suppose to be a match for the car. My original # is 95410 2C 137 and I 've found a donor car with a 95410 2C 132 in it and according to another thread this should be the match. I have read other thread from folks saying they hope the BCM was discharged correctly??? before removing from vehicle and also talk of re programming but sounds like it just for the fob . Im wondering if maybe a wire was nicked up there as well that may send the key signal to the ECM. Anyone know which pin or wire sends that "good key signal" to call to start it.
Thanks for all the help so far its been very useful in solving this issue

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
I have read other thread from folks saying they hope the BCM was discharged correctly???
No, I don't know what that means either.

Deuce123 said:
Anyone know which pin or wire sends that "good key signal" to call to start it.
The immob comm wire is on connector "I", terminal 20 on the back of the fusebox...see below:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok installed the 132 BCM and bypassed the connect from the antenna at key switch and soldered straight thru , car just cranks but no start , nO car with key flashing lite on dash anymore used to flash 5 times now no flash , double checked solder job and all have great continuity . Thanks again Autospark for the help!!

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Ok installed the 132 BCM and bypassed the connect from the antenna at key switch and soldered straight thru , car just cranks but no start
You can't bypass parts of the immobilizer system and expect the car to start. There wouldn't be much point to having it if anyone could just bypass it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry wrong choice of words. I read on here that many times there are issues with the connector located just above steering column where antenna ring plugs into with the other ignition wires. I simply cut it out and soldered wires together. Sorry bypass was def not the case or right word.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Sorry wrong choice of words. I read on here that many times there are issues with the connector located just above steering column where antenna ring plugs into with the other ignition wires. I simply cut it out and soldered wires together. Sorry bypass was def not the case or right word.
Ah right, got you. I'm actually having intermittent immobilizer problems on my Getz so I'll maybe need to be doing that mod myself soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so today I went back over wiring and found that the wire on that connection was a little shitty looking right at plug so I removed that portion of wiring harnesss and soldered the new connector in. Now when key is first turned on the light with the "car with key" flashes 5 times then goes out . the car will crank but won't start. if i turned a key on for about 3 sec then back off again then quickly on the " car with key " light stays on for roughly 5 to 7 sec but still just cranks but no start. Please any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
The immobilizer light flashing is telling you there's a problem. Have you checked the engine for trouble codes?
What exactly did you do to the immobilizer wiring?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I got it finally!!!!!!!

This car is being stripped and set up to run the Bone division at our local tracks. We stripped the car of all interior and cut out door panels then welded in a very solid roll cage as well as chassis stiffening as much as rules allow. After everything was stripped and unplugged ( accessories not being used as well as sunroof , hatch and other stuff we thought we better fire everything up just to make sure and BOOM!!!!!!! fired right up. So we then carried on, I had an employee from my sheet metal business with some spare time and asked him to build me a dash panel for the car (which turned out beautiful ) . After eevrything thing was roughed in and painted we went to fired the car. It would crank and 4 ways flashers were going off , car with key light flashing 5 times but wouldn't fire. Once I got going over car and wiring wire by wire I noticed a mark in the top of the BCM, upon closer inspection I appears a drill bit went thru the box and just nicked the board. As I'm unplugging wires on the BCM I notice some have black electrical tape on them. I believe Mickey Mouse at remote car starters R US just spiced into to these wires the ole taped 'em up way.
So anyways the long and short of it is I believe that the BCM and the ECM need to be programmed together or matched together or something.
I replaced the BCM only from donor car - " car with key " symbols flashes 5 times car cranks but not start
Removed ECM from donor car and steering column , installed ECM from donor car and removed antenna ring from key canister on column and dropped key from donor car in the centre of ring, used original key to crank over the car and BOOM car fired up no problem. This tell me that theres some connection or programming between BCM and ECM other then voltage.
But any how my car is running and race ready and I would really like to Thank Autospark for helping me out with this and since my heritage is Scottish I just might look you up when Im over for a visit , at least buy you a pint.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
Removed ECM from donor car and steering column , installed ECM from donor car and removed antenna ring from key canister on column and dropped key from donor car in the centre of ring, used original key to crank over the car and BOOM car fired up no problem. This tell me that theres some connection or programming between BCM and ECM other then voltage.
Obviously your right. I did notice that some other Hyundai models use a different immobilizer system with the 2.7 engine but there aren't any differences shown for the different engines used on the Tiburon/Coupe. Hyundai don't sell many V6 powered cars here in the UK due to our heavily taxed petrol so I'm not that familiar with the V6. Apologies for maybe misleading you a little.

Anyway, glad you got it running. How about posting some pics to show off your handiwork.

Scott.

PS....I've never been known to refuse a pint :beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts