Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the old clickitty click click when trying to start the car today on the charger now wouldnt go even with a boost pack....
Hoping it's just time for a new battery and noting else..
Been brutally cold, -30+

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Look at production date on door post, add a month or so for battery.. 3yr old battery... buy a new one.

While you have battery out, remove ground cable from body there beside battery tray and grind the paint off to bare steel.. paint is an insulator,, not a conductor.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Synthetic oil and or block heater might be helpful; looks like Alberta is even colder.
Synthetic isn't going to make the car start with a dead battery. The advantage is it will flow slightly better and save some wear on the engine during the cold start.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never used synthetic probably never will..
Charged her up, started fine went to Canadian Tire and bought a new one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
sorry you made a mistake buying a motomaster battery from canadian tire.. You'll be replacing that 2 years down the road or 40,000 kms.

the best place for batteries is walmart or costco. They sell batteries made by johnson controls and are pretty fresh this season.. 1-2 months old

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Synthetic isn't going to make the car start with a dead battery. The advantage is it will flow slightly better and save some wear on the engine during the cold start.
I have started cars/trucks at -40 in northern Ontario ,major difference in cranking speed.

Doesn't help with a dead battery, but it will with a weak cold battery.

One of the things that justifies the cost of it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have started cars/trucks at -40 in northern Ontario ,major difference in cranking speed.

I start mine all the time up here 4 hrs nrth of thunder bay in -30+ not plugged in and she cranks maybe 3 revolutions and fires up no problems.
My last Accent went 300,000 with a perfectly fine engine when we gave her to friends to drive.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry you made a mistake buying a motomaster battery from canadian tire.. You'll be replacing that 2 years down the road or 40,000 kms.

the best place for batteries is walmart or costco. They sell batteries made by johnson controls and are pretty fresh this season.. 1-2 months old
Its got a 3 year replacement warranty Ive never had a issue with Canadian Tire products.
My Walmart did not have a battery.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Good God thats cold! Okay I can definitely see the benefit of syn in your case:D

·
22,788 Posts
...remove ground cable from body there beside battery tray and grind the paint off to bare steel.. paint is an insulator,, not a conductor.
+1 This is a definite plus! Only takes a bit of time. Payoff is huge with improved grounding contact.

...batteries made by johnson controls and are pretty fresh this season.. 1-2 months old
JCI makes about 70-80% of the aftermarket batteries on the auto store shelves. And they are fresh. And reliable. Their Optima is expensive, but highly rated. I'll get an "upper tier" conventional battery when the time comes. And, saddens me to say this, probably from Wal*Mart. Nothing against them as it is the lady that's always in front of me at the auto department register with $222 worth of groceries in her basket! "Hey lady, do you think you're the only person in this place? Would you like one of the tire installers to stop what he's doing and load your trunk for you, too?" Don't get me started. :mad:

Good God thats cold! Okay I can definitely see the benefit of syn in your case:D
Cold? That is ridiculous! It will be July before he thaws out! Temp here is about 25F and I'm MISERABLE! :frozen:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
+1 This is a definite plus! Only takes a bit of time. Payoff is huge with improved grounding contact.

JCI makes about 70-80% of the aftermarket batteries on the auto store shelves. And they are fresh. And reliable. Their Optima is expensive, but highly rated. I'll get an "upper tier" conventional battery when the time comes. And, saddens me to say this, probably from Wal*Mart. Nothing against them as it is the lady that's always in front of me at the auto department register with $222 worth of groceries in her basket! "Hey lady, do you think you're the only person in this place? Would you like one of the tire installers to stop what he's doing and load your trunk for you, too?" Don't get me started. :mad:

Cold? That is ridiculous! It will be July before he thaws out! Temp here is about 25F and I'm MISERABLE! :frozen:
This battery was made Jan '13 wonder if I should top it off a bit with the charger or just slap it in and go to Dryden or something (65 kms one way bye highway)
I've always wanted to try a Optima battery but they are so $$$
If this one dies they will replace it full out not prorated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
From us northerners..... :mad: (I was hoping to use a :flipoff: smiley face but the Hyundai Forum does have one).

Actually I just heard this a few months ago, heat kills batteries and cold finishes them off.

Cold down here too - 85F.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
This battery was made Jan '13 wonder if I should top it off a bit with the charger or just slap it in and go to Dryden or something (65 kms one way bye highway)
I've always wanted to try a Optima battery but they are so $$$
If this one dies they will replace it full out not prorated.
If you have a smart charger I would let it top it up ; factory dry charge is not a real good charge.
One of my old Hyundai is still on the road with 350k kilometres as my brothers winter beater. The old motors with lower compression are actually easy to turn over and start sometimes; than a new car.

A/C Delco use to make good batteries at one time, Sears etc sold them.

Yeah the northerners are getting the big chill.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have a 2011 which I bought in Mar of 2010. I just had to put a new battery in two weeks ago......

My last Hyundai was an XG and I drove it 9 nines, sold it to a neighbor who drove it 3 more years and never had to change a battery . I guess either I was lucky or they are making batteries different now......

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My eye doc's secretary has a 2001 Santa fe she just replaced her battery last year...
She must keep it in a garage or something.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2.0 터보;1803761 said:
From us northerners..... :mad: (I was hoping to use a :flipoff: smiley face but the Hyundai Forum does have one).

Actually I just heard this a few months ago, heat kills batteries and cold finishes them off.
Very true heat is also bad...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I like the Duracell brand batteries from Sam's Club, they have an 84 month warranty. No idea who really makes them though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it's in , Hankuk Hannah thanks me lol
Smoother idle, lights seems brighter... Guess that poor alt was working over time..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts