Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 2 months after my battery warranty expired, my battery decides to die. According to Hyundai, they will chip in 25% of the cost of the battery and 100% of the cost of labor which adds up to $85.

I'm wondering if my amp, subwoofers, and HIDs will void the battery warranty. What would cause my battery to give out this earlier? I know about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Could the dealership prove that it was my lights and sound system that killed the battery? Everytime you get the car serviced, will the dealership inspect the battery for you? Just want to double check with you guys before I go to the dealership tomorrow morning.

P.S. I did search the forums ^_^
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/148497-battery-replacement-after-1-year.html

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
I had a hard time getting them to warranty mine after a year with a completely bone stock car. They ultimately did the right thing, but it was quite a fight. I was monitoring voltage with a voltmeter that plugged into the cigarette lighter and they started to blame it on that! On a car with any modified electrical system, if you're dealing with dealers like I had to, good luck. Your mileage may vary of course! :)

As far as if they check it... Battery is usually something they put on the multi-point inspection forms but I never knew for sure exactly what it was they were looking at.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Does anyone have the specs of the OEM battery?
Mine has the specs printed on top.. 45 Amp/Hr with 410 CCA (cold cranking amps).

My dealer load tests my battery when I take it in for my regular warranty service.. They record the actual cold cranking amps the battery is able to provide on the check sheet... At the 6 month warranty check, the 410 CCA battery was producing 450 CCA under load.. At the 1 year check, it was down to 409 CCA.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has the specs printed on top.. 45 Amp/Hr with 410 CCA (cold cranking amps).

My dealer load tests my battery when I take it in for my regular warranty service.. They record the actual cold cranking amps the battery is able to provide on the check sheet... At the 6 month warranty check, the 410 CCA battery was producing 450 CCA under load.. At the 1 year check, it was down to 409 CCA.
Thanks. I'm going aftermarket. Might as well pay an extra $12 for warranty and a more powerful battery.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This might sound ridiculous to some people, but is there a battery out there with similar CCA's that would weigh 10-20 pounds less than the OEM/Autozone batteries and wouldn't need modifications to fit in the original location?

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
I'm going to get this one instead. 3 year warranty + 2 years prorated.
EverStart Maxx 121R Automotive Battery: Automotive : Walmart.com
I ended up with that one when my MC needed its third battery. Isn't anything fancy, just your typical Johnson Controls battery (the same people who make batteries for Interstate, AutoZone, Advance, etc.) Pretty good price and you'll probably always be close to a walmart for warranty if needed.

It worked ok in the 10 months I had it before I traded the car in. I had to hit a couple different walmarts to find a fresh-ish one. Check the date sticker on it if you get one, month/year format to make sure you get the freshest possible.

121R is an odd size that was difficult to find many options. Didn't know they continued to use that size in the RB's. Other groups (like 35) would fit in my MC, but the hold-down would have required modification due to the 121R having that fat lip at the bottom.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would just get an Interstate battery. Better quality control than EverStart. But again, batteries are always hit or miss. I've seen them last for years, or suddenly crap out. Also, always check the battery connection once in a while. They can work themselves loose and cause problems that an inexperienced person may think would require a battery replacement, but all it needed was the terminals to be tightened up a bit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Batteries are not very consistent. My previous 2009 Hyundai Hatchback battery lasted 3 years and was shot. I put a new battery in my other car, a Mazda MPV, in October of 2008. Its still working great. Almost 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
Definitely a hit or miss thing.

My wife's car has an AC Delco battery that's 8 years old. I want to continue this science experiment but I'm worried it might leave either one of us stranded so I'll soon replace it. :D

OTOH my Accent ate through 'em... Owned it 7 years and as I mentioned above, was on its third battery.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've got an F-150 pickup. I got 12 years out of the original Motorcraft battery. And I did get stranded once... That's when I decided to replace it :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for advice/tips everyone. I really appreciated it. I didn't notice how weak my engine would start before I installed the new battery. I manage to find a battery that was manufactured this month at Walmart :) I have to say though, walmart customer service sucks so bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts