Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to do away with that ludicrous battery drain warning when parked, with the only drain being the radio, and Acc position is On?

After driving a few hundred miles, mostly at 80 mph I have to believe my battery is as fully charged as possible, I then pulled into a truck stop, got a cup of coffee (that could have been used to pave a road) and tried to sit in the Tucson listen to the radio and relax but that every 30 seconds the beep and the reminder to start the vehicle, came close to me pulling my handgun and placing a bullet into the info screen.

If this battery is such a POS that it cannot run a radio for a few hours before draining, I either need to dump this vehicle or get a larger battery. And other than this stupid warning, I like the vehicle.

I would understand if the voltage had dropped to around 11.8 V but I'm sure it still had to be well over 12V after such a drive and only a few minutes of listening to the radio.

Even if it was 19 degrees outside I was comfortable and even though wasting fuel has never been a problem with me, in this day-and-age, idling a car for fifteen minutes while I drink road tar and try to relax is ludicrous and should be made illegal by some environmental group.

Someone at Hyundai engineering needs to get the computer programmed to only turn on this warning after the battery actually drops to a certain level (approx 11.8 volts) vs. just having the ACC position picked while sitting in the vehicle.

I know one thing for sure, this vehicle will never be used as a stake out vehicle by law enforcement; idling vehicles draw attention

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson hybrid limited
293 Posts
Is there anyway to do away with that ludicrous battery drain warning when parked, with the only drain being the radio, and Acc position is On?

After driving a few hundred miles, mostly at 80 mph I have to believe my battery is as fully charged as possible, I then pulled into a truck stop, got a cup of coffee (that could have been used to pave a road) and tried to sit in the Tucson listen to the radio and relax but that every 30 seconds the beep and the reminder to start the vehicle, came close to me pulling my handgun and placing a bullet into the info screen.

If this battery is such a POS that it cannot run a radio for a few hours before draining, I either need to dump this vehicle or get a larger battery. And other than this stupid warning, I like the vehicle.

I would understand if the voltage had dropped to around 11.8 V but I'm sure it still had to be well over 12V after such a drive and only a few minutes of listening to the radio.

Even if it was 19 degrees outside I was comfortable and even though wasting fuel has never been a problem with me, in this day-and-age, idling a car for fifteen minutes while I drink road tar and try to relax is ludicrous and should be made illegal by some environmental group.

Someone at Hyundai engineering needs to get the computer programmed to only turn on this warning after the battery actually drops to a certain level (approx 11.8 volts) vs. just having the ACC position picked while sitting in the vehicle.

I know one thing for sure, this vehicle will never be used as a stake out vehicle by law enforcement; idling vehicles draw attention
i think you can get in to the settings and turn the volume down. i think not Shure.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue trim
326 Posts
No. There's no way to get rid of the warning besides turning the car to "ON" mode. The 12V battery gets recharged from the traction battery but only in "ON" mode not "ACC" or "Off" modes. You can do a couple of things: 1) Ignore the warning. If you're only drawing radio power you can go quite a while before battery drain becomes a problem in "ACC" and even then you can bootstrap a recharge from the traction battery to get going with a push of a button. 2) You can turn the car to "ON" mode briefly then back to "ACC". That will give you a fresh charge on the 12V bus. 3) You can leave the car in "ON" mode with the parking brake set. That will shut the headlamps off and you can stay in that config for quite a while before the engine starts and runs.

The Li-Ion 12 V battery is quite expensive (I hear several hundred $) and there's danger of bricking the battery if it runs too low.

· Registered
243 Posts
No. There's no way to get rid of the warning besides turning the car to "ON" mode. The 12V battery gets recharged from the traction battery but only in "ON" mode not "ACC" or "Off" modes. You can do a couple of things: 1) Ignore the warning. If you're only drawing radio power you can go quite a while before battery drain becomes a problem in "ACC" and even then you can bootstrap a charge to get going with a push of a button. 2) You can turn the car to "ON" mode briefly then back to "ACC". That will give you a fresh charge on the 12V bus. 3) You can leave the car in "ON" mode with the parking brake set. That will shut the headlamps off and you can stay in that config for quite a while before the engine starts and runs.
I don't think he had an hybrid

· Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,888 Posts
Yup, just manually set the parking brake when you are parked in Accessory mode and the battery drain message will be turned off. They had to give you a way to go to a drive in movie and have acc on without having DRL lights on.

Even if the car auto engaged the parking brake on an incline, there is till a difference between the auto-engage and you manually pushing the parking brake button once you are in ACC mode.

Took a while to figure it out but one warning it's easy piezy!

· Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,826 Posts
This is a common situation with most (all?) vehicles today. Your favorite radio stations are likely broadcast on the Internet via one of the many Apps available. Listen on your phone.

· Registered
2011 Santa Fe 3.5L
74 Posts
Agree it's a stupid warning....key is set to ACC, should be no warning. At the very least, there should be an option to turn off this warning.

Was just listening to the radio this morning with the key set to ACC without any warning....because I was in my 2002 S10....old school doesn't have those goofy warnings!

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If not, then I apologize. I'll let the post stand for the hybrid guys. The hybrids only get a 15ah 12V battery. I think the pb-acid in the other models is at least 45Ah.
No, not a hybrid, no need to apologize; I should have noted the drivetrain.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, just manually set the parking brake when you are parked in Accessory mode and the battery drain message will be turned off. They had to give you a way to go to a drive in movie and have acc on without having DRL lights on.

Even if the car auto engaged the parking brake on an incline, there is till a difference between the auto-engage and you manually pushing the parking brake button once you are in ACC mode.

I'll give that a try, if it works as you say (no doubt it does) it will be great. Thanks....

Reactions: Bookworm

· Registered
95 Posts
Agree it's a stupid warning....key is set to ACC, should be no warning. At the very least, there should be an option to turn off this warning.

Was just listening to the radio this morning with the key set to ACC without any warning....because I was in my 2002 S10....old school doesn't have those goofy warnings!
My 2018 Sonata SE does that also, I just ignore it, if I do listen to the radio in ACC it is only for a few min! It does do something weird when I turn the key off from running, I would be listening to the local news on AM radio and when I turn the key off I get this static that comes over the AM station for about 15 seconds then goes away??? Also I have the standard radio and the audio quality sucks. My old 2010 ford fusion sounded much better!

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

DOES NOT WORK. Gave it a try this AM, idiot message continues to disturb. Guess they don't care about drive in movies. (Actually have a drive-in theater about 15 miles south of where I live, not that I have visited it, but drive by it.)

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Called Hyundai, told I must make a dealer complaint. So, having to go to Lowes I took the drive into the dealer and as expected and what I told the person at Hyundai, it will take a software update and yes, the dealer wishes they would fix it since I am not the first to complain. In fact, my salesperson complained about it a year ago.

Called Hyundai back and wondering if they go out of their way to hire those with no brains or is it just the luck of the draw.

However, when I noted I would contact environmental groups in how Hyundai wants me to add carbon to the atmosphere for no reason other than someone has no idea about how ludicrous this message is unless the battery volts drop below approx. 11.6. suddenly, I got forwarded to a supervisor or something to that affect.

She promised to look into it and she actually gave me the impression there was something between her ears; other than air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts