Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
making my way up to timmins night hawk lake next few weeks with friends for some ice fishin last time i went it was really cold -35 maybe more. we ice fish in a hut and leave are vehicles near by my buddy brought his pick up truck with a generater so we could plug in are

block heaters and have a light & heater while fishin all was going great!. until it was time to
head back to my budy's place with are catch of the day my car wouldn't start !! cranked over good at first but eventually lost batery power so this time im looking at a battery warmer that

wraps around the battery that i can plug in wall outlet 3 pron end anyone have one?? how well do they truly work? want to be better prepared this time getting it spar plugs chaged oil filt adding gas line antifreeze what else can i do for my engine to start good????

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a battery warmer but haven't used in it years. I found it worked really well and used far less electricity than a block heater, something like 75 watts. It would make the engine turn over much faster. It was like having 3 batteries hooked up at the same time or like having a much bigger battery. Batteries lose something like %80 percent of their capacity when cold. The battery heater eliminates this problem but if your car starts right away it really wouldn't be of any benefit. If your car takes a lot of cranking to start, then yes, it's a big help.

·
Registered
451 Posts
'battery warmer' sounds like a good sense investment pointed out by drunkenelvis' i would definatley get one. if i was up north in - triple digit Cold temps for sure sam you might also want to get your existing battery checked out for voltage output & change oil & filter use 0w30 synthetic for easyier cranking you mentioned changing spark plugs if there old sure throw a new set on. and definatley with Cold extreme temperatures use Gas Line Antifreeze i would use some KleenFlow kind as shown here excellent choice. (y)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
battery warmer and kleen flow with injector cleaner lol never would of guessed that had fuel cleaner. thanks guys this is why? i like loging on here great advise.!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I will throw one more in there as a last resort if all else fails at starting Your cars engine in extreme cold temps. as a last ditch effort not sure how much ground clearance you might have for a heater to fit underneath your oil pan you will need to jack up one side of the vehicle for this. but this can work if its placed right below the oil pan next step is to trap the heat in by masking the outside just below the door line all

around the outside of the vehicle using tarp duct taped to the body of the car your doing it this way to trap in the warm air dont forget the front grill as well. by trapping in warm air from underneath it can rise to warm the rest of the engines block wich should help immensely combined with the other stuff mentioned like batt warmer, block heater, thinner oil using gas line anti-freeze on a full tank. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts