Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Not sure if my battery is just getting old or what. This is what came with the vehicle when I bought it 2 years ago.

2012 Santa Fe Limited V6

Last winter, in conditions of -25 or so overnight, my car failed to start the next day, I had to use my wife's car to boost it (her battery seems to be just fine).

Also, I've had the car just sitting unused in the driveway for 2 weeks (just the last 2 weeks) and again, would not start and had to get a jump.

I'm looking to replace the battery as I don't want these issues (annoying) and saw that Canadian Tire has the following:

Product Number: 10-1240-8
Manufacturer’s Part Number: MOT124R
Comments: SPECS - GROUP #: 124R - CCA: 700 - CA: 860 - RC: 100 WARRANTY - 36 MONTHS LOCATION - BATTERY LOCATED IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT - GROUP #: 124R - CCA: 600
Direct Fit Battery

Is this worth it? I see very mixed reviews, some say the battery freezes at -20ish and that warranty is void when this happens; even though it's sold where weather gets this cold.

If there are better options, would appreciate some advice. I'm in Canada btw.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
203 Posts
I always purchased Interstate for all my vehicles, someone told me to try Ever Start

Walmart's brand 3 year full guarantee. Well happy I did switch never had one go bad and a lot cheaper than Interstate. Try it you wont be sorry.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
A battery is only as good as the people who back up the warranty
124 is the group number "R" is for reverse terminals
Be sure to check to make sure the positive and negative are correct before hooking up cables from car
CCA or cold cranking amps is the rating the battery got for delivering current at 0 degrees F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage reading of 7.2 or higher
The winter weather often shows up the weak batteries

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always purchased Interstate for all my vehicles, someone told me to try Ever Start

Walmart's brand 3 year full guarantee. Well happy I did switch never had one go bad and a lot cheaper than Interstate. Try it you wont be sorry.

Thanks, just found this thread which reinforces your advice.

The walmart battery finder recommends MAXX-124R but it's not available in Canada...

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you happen to be a Costco member, their prices on Interstate seem to be much better than what I've seen elsewhere. Not sure if they end up cheaper than WalMart's Everstart, but a good deal anyway.

If you aren't already a member, it isn't worth joining just for this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you happen to be a Costco member, their prices on Interstate seem to be much better than what I've seen elsewhere. Not sure if they end up cheaper than WalMart's Everstart, but a good deal anyway.

If you aren't already a member, it isn't worth joining just for this.
I'll take a look at Costco, I'm a member. I checked their battery recommendation but it doesn't show you the price and just says available in warehouse only - I suppose I just need to go to their garage.

Do you know if they offer free installation with the battery purchase?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently purchased a battery from Costco. It was the cheapest alternative, and overall had good reviews. Same size as what you need, 124R fitment. It's Kirkland branded, but manufactured by Johnson Controls (same Company that produces the Optima line).

So far so good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll take a look at Costco, I'm a member. I checked their battery recommendation but it doesn't show you the price and just says available in warehouse only - I suppose I just need to go to their garage.

Do you know if they offer free installation with the battery purchase?
Yeah, when I checked online it actually told me there was no such thing as a battery for my car! I called the garage and the guy who answered gave me a price. I don't know whether they install for free--I do that myself.

I recently purchased a battery from Costco. It was the cheapest alternative, and overall had good reviews. Same size as what you need, 124R fitment. It's Kirkland branded, but manufactured by Johnson Controls (same Company that produces the Optima line).

So far so good.
In the US at least they seem to have abandoned the Kirkland branding and moved over to Interstate.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
IMO since Optima moved production to Mexico their quality has gone to less than mediocre. IMO try to find one made in USA, very few are but there are a few

1 - 15 of 15 Posts