Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So i got a question.
For the past week or 2 it takes my car longer to turn on when pressing the Start button. Usually you press the start button and it should turn on right away without any delay, but lately it takes about 1-1.5 maybe 2 seconds until it turns on. I can hear the car trying to start and it does. It does not sound dead yet or taking a long time to start.
Is it time to look for a new battery now since its doing this? I have a 2011 SE with about 27k miles on it mainly driving city. bought it in Feb of 2011.

If you guys think i do need a new battery what brand would you recommend? Is this something i can do myself or should i let this get done at a shop? Im a pretty noobie person with car stuff, alt ho i did put in HID's and little things like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

So i got a question.
For the past week or 2 it takes my car longer to turn on when pressing the Start button. Usually you press the start button and it should turn on right away without any delay, but lately it takes about 1-1.5 maybe 2 seconds until it turns on. I can hear the car trying to start and it does. It does not sound dead yet or taking a long time to start.
Is it time to look for a new battery now since its doing this? I have a 2011 SE with about 27k miles on it mainly driving city. bought it in Feb of 2011.

If you guys think i do need a new battery what brand would you recommend? Is this something i can do myself or should i let this get done at a shop? Im a pretty noobie person with car stuff, alt ho i did put in HID's and little things like that.
I have had good luck with advanced auto batteries, and if you order online you can use the $40 coupons they offer.

Battery from them is Buy AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 124R, 700 CCA 24FH at Advance Auto Parts

$40 off coupon code use durning check out: TRT41
Must buy online then go to store to pick up, they usually will install for free as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I purchased my 2011 Sonata in February of 2010 and replaced the battery 2 or 3 months ago. It was getting weak to start and would run down quick if you used the battery without the engine running for very long. Then I had to charge the battery to start the car. Since replacing the battery this does not happen.

I purchased my new battery from Advance Auto. They sell a decent battery at a fair price. If you can locate a coupon the deal is better.

Bob

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I personally kinda of of worry about the battery after 2 1/2 years of service. When I see it slowing down I change it.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I personally kinda of of worry about the battery after 2 1/2 years of service. When I see it slowing down I change it.
Seems to be a common issue with the OEM Hyundai batteries but 2-3 years is really not the normal lifespan for a battery. I just replaced one on my daughters VW and it was still fine at nearly six years old. Replaced it only to be safe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replays. Unfortunately i don't have a Advanced Auto Parts near me.. :(
So i am looking into other options right now. Sears or Autozone have good prices for the battery the sonata needs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Auto Zone should do a battery install for free, too, but I have found that it varies by store (and sometimes by employee). Not sure about Sears, but a quick phone call could tell you if it is free.

Really, swapping out a 2-3 year old battery shouldn't be too difficult. Disconnect the negative cable (one bolt on the clamp), disconnect the positive cable (same), and release the hold down bar (two bolts, I think). Then life the battery out. Install is reverse.

Biggest problem is if the clamps are frozen on the terminals, then the change becomes a pain. I actually broke a battery case once trying to get the cable off, but it was not a factory battery and it was far older than 2 years, so you are much less likely to have that level of difficulty.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
To determine if your battery is really going bad, you ought to first have someone perform a Load Test. Most stores who sell batteries will do a Load Test free of charge.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very easy to do if you have a 10" extension with a 13 mm socket, for the 1 bolt that secures the battery. When you connect the cables back on the battery, positive first, then negative. On my car I could not slide the socket straight down to the bolt, had to slide it in from your right to left.

Auto Zone should do a battery install for free, too, but I have found that it varies by store (and sometimes by employee). Not sure about Sears, but a quick phone call could tell you if it is free.

Really, swapping out a 2-3 year old battery shouldn't be too difficult. Disconnect the negative cable (one bolt on the clamp), disconnect the positive cable (same), and release the hold down bar (two bolts, I think). Then life the battery out. Install is reverse.

Biggest problem is if the clamps are frozen on the terminals, then the change becomes a pain. I actually broke a battery case once trying to get the cable off, but it was not a factory battery and it was far older than 2 years, so you are much less likely to have that level of difficulty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave,
I am going to take your advice and go to a local shop that deals with batteries and let them performa a load test. I would go to Autozone but in CA they don't do these services :(.
And if it is the battery i will just buy one at Autozone and instal it myself. Should not be to hard like you guys said.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scratch that. Autozone did check my batterie and yea it was going bad. It was not putting out the juice anymore. So got a new one and everything is working wonderful. They come with a 2 year replacement warranty which is nice. Also the OEM battery's are cca600. And they put in a 700cca. I guess that helps too? 114.90 out the door was a good price. Lets see how lo g it lasts :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had good luck with advanced auto batteries, and if you order online you can use the $40 coupons they offer.

Battery from them is Buy AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 124R, 700 CCA 24FH at Advance Auto Parts

$40 off coupon code use durning check out: TRT41
Must buy online then go to store to pick up, they usually will install for free as well.
Thanks for the link and code. Figured even if not the best battery there is, with the $40 discount it was a deal I could not pass up.

Still would like to know what the difference is between the 124R and 24F and 24FH

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think my 2011 SE has a weak battery too. Would turnover but not start. Jumping it caused it to start. Hard to believe a two year old battery already bad. The one in my 2003 Ram was still going strong when I replaced it at 8 years! What is the warranty on the battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought the Autocraft Gold at Advanced Auto Parts. Paid for it on line and it was waiting for me when I got to the store. $70.00 with tax you can't go wrong.

Still would like to know what the difference is between the 124R and 24F and 24FH
The original plain black case battery (which I assume is the 124R sec) was about 3/8" taller and identical in length and width to the 24FH. The counter guy said the 24FH is the replacement for the 24F, the difference being the lip at the bottom for the tie down was revised so it would install better on a Hyundai, hence the "H". Of course this was after he knew I was replacing one in my Santa Fe.

I read elsewhere and also found that the electrode diameter was a little small for the factory clamp. However the electrode was tapered at the bottom and a few gentle taps with a large socket on the clamp sent it home, that along with compressing the clamp with pliers before putting it on made for a secure and tight connection.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
All of these "dying battery" posts had me scared that the Sled's battery had one foot in the grave.

Went and had it tested---d**n thing is still putting out the required voltage!

Best of luck to you all...and yes the AutoCraft batteries are very good. I would get that over another OEM battery any day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All of these "dying battery" posts had me scared that the Sled's battery had one foot in the grave.

Went and had it tested---d**n thing is still putting out the required voltage!
My experience has been they tend to last just about as long as the warranty. Mine went, with only one warning, 4 years to the month of the build date of my Santa Fe

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've been questioning my battery for the past few weeks also. Guess I'll add my name to the list of people getting their battery tested this weekend. Mine is doing just as the OP's....just seems to take a little longer to start than I think it should.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My Sonata is just over 2 years old but has 55,000 miles on it. For the past two weeks it was hesitating when starting. Took it to AutoZone this past Monday and had it tested. Yup...it was bad. Replaced it for $117 total. This is the quickest a battery has ever died on me. Most of my other cars always ran at least about 4 years before needing it replaced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems like a lot of the 2011 are having battery issues...

I would not recommend going with a OEM battery, just because of knowing so many batteries are going bad already from the 2011 models.

Might as well spend that same money or a few bucks more and get a better battery from AutoZone or other car store.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts