Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saga continues with my 2016 Sonata PHEV. Purchased vehicle new January 2016. Factory warranty is for five years and at time of purchase, I purchased 10 year extended warranty. They call it a 10 year extended warranty but Hyundai covers warranty for first five years and then the extended warranty covers years 6 to 10.

Factory warranty for most repairs ended February 2021. A couple of months after factory warranty, check engine came on. I took in to dealers. They checked codes and found that several sensors needed replacement. I asked why all of these sensor would need replacement after only 5 years and 32 k miles. Dealership was not able to provide any insight. Any case, dealership had car for two weeks waiting for the sensors. Sensors were replaced. I only had to pay $100. Agent advised me that the warranty company was being billed $2500 for repairs. Said that special discount was offered to the warranty company and cost to me would have been $3500 if I had to pay out of pocket.

Several months went by and then the first part of October I noticed car wasn’t charging to 100%. It would stop at 91% and stop. I checked settings and car was set to charge 100%. Wasn’t too concerned but then when driving on local streets car would loose power and check hybrid warning would come on. Once I was on freeway, car would be fine. Obviously wanted the issue looked into. I took into the dealship October 14. It took them several days to figure out the issue. They found they were not able to charge the battery pack at all. Then they had to perform tests to confirm that the battery pack had gone bad. They told me that they had to order both the battery pack and the battery management system.

On the positive side, turns out factory warranty covers the battery pack for ten years. Therefore I wouldn’t need to pay the $100 as it will be covered by the factory warranty. On the negative side, battery had to be ordered from South Korea and is not scheduled to arrive until December 7.

Should mention that in February 2020 oil warning light came on. Car had to be at the dealership two weeks to replace the oil pump.

I would be interested if any of you still own the Sonata PHEV and what type of experience you are having?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I a 2016 non-PHEV. My battery pack is covered for the life of the vehicle to the original owner only. Subsequent owners get the ten year warranty on the battery pack. This started with the 2012 hybrid model year, I believe.

The emissions warranty covers a lot of the hybrid components for seven years as well. You might want to read that warranty on your PHEV.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I a 2016 non-PHEV. My battery pack is covered for the life of the vehicle to the original owner only. Subsequent owners get the ten year warranty on the battery pack. This started with the 2012 hybrid model year, I believe.

The emissions warranty covers a lot of the hybrid components for seven years as well. You might want to read that warranty on your PHEV.
Thanks for the information. My extended warranty is good until February 2026. Dealership has made clear that replacement of the battery pack will be covered under factory warranty. Any case, no way I will keep this vehicle past the expiration of the extended warrant.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2016 Sonata Plug-in. So far I've replaced all four coil packs, and the crankcase sensor twice under warranty. Also several recalls have been done too.

The coil issue caused the car to miss under acceleration until the engine warmed up. The crankcase sensor can leave you stranded unless you can drive the distance using the traction battery with gas engine off.

Honestly, I'm not very happy with my Hyundai and I doubt I will ever own another one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts