Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i'm fairly new to these cars. i just bought one used 2 weeks ago. lately in the very cold new england mornings i am seeing the battery light flash at me when downshifting on the highway. seems to go away after about 5 miles and doesn't happen every day. Anybody else experience this yet? Belt and the tension look ok. My car is stock and has 52k on it

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
See if you can tell if it is the original battery. If it is a 2011 and at 52K miles, I would install a new one!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
i would also plan for a new battery soon. Other than checking the battery cables to make sure they are tight there is not much else to do. If its more than battery you should have the 5/60 warranty still.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. i caved in and will be bringing it back under the used car warranty. i haven't looked yet but i think its the original battery. plus i haven't checked the connections yet either. this just started happening and its been god awful cold here

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Drop by a parts store and have them check your charging system as well. You could have an alternator on the way out that has either helped kill or flat out killed your current battery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Drop by a parts store and have them check your charging system as well. You could have an alternator on the way out that has either helped kill or flat out killed your current battery.
Batteries Plus will do a load test for free and let you know if it is your battery, or the alternator or something else , like a short in the starter...

My bet is the Battery.... but stop in to a store and find out...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Interestingly, I just had the dealer do an oil change and tire rotation on the Red Sled.

They also did a battery check as part of the multi-point inspection.

Apparently, the stock battery is only putting out around 600 CCAs brand new. My 4 year old battery is still putting out 440CCA and passed the test!

Still going to replace it this spring. But the techs were surprised that I had never changed it out. And remember, we here in the Upper Midwest are on track to hit our 50th day with highs below zero!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Cold makes metal contract, so I'd also recommend a check of connections and grounds.
+1

Posted in the battery thread on this....I had to file down to bare metal where my negative cable connects to the car. Apparently Hyundai was a bit overzealous with the paint in this area and some cars have poor grounding as a result.

I got to the point I was wiggling the cable to make contact and had a screwdriver shoved down next to the bolt just to be able to start the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts