Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Genesis 3.8L with about 25k miles on it. Bought it new Oct 2012 and have had no problems until now as it is somewhat hard to start occasionally. Not always but sometimes. Is it about time to replace my battery maybe? I was wondering how long other people had the original battery before having to replace it?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Best bet is to get it load tested. When mine in the Elantra went, it just went.

Reactions: Tiger-Heli

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies... I know new batteries usually come with a 3 or 4 year warranty and that it may be the appropriate time to go ahead and replace it. I was just wondering what experiences other people have had.

On the suggestion to get it load tested, do you have to remove it from the car to do that?

Also I was wondering if anyone else had similar starting problems and if the battery may have been the reason why.

Anyway thanks for your help and to anyone else who may contribute to the thread.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
They can load test in the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OEM battery in my car has covers over the holes but I don't think it is intended for you to remove them as I believe it is considered a maintenance-free battery. There is also a vent hose coming out of the top edge of the battery nearest the back seat end of the battery, that goes down thru the bottom of the trunk. I will save this hose to put on my replacement battery provided the replacement battery that I purchase has a vent hole in it for this hose.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Heat is a killer of batteries and living in GA, well, pretty hot in the summer. I replaced the battery in my 2012 vehicle last year and this year in my 2013 Elantra just so I would not be caught in some strange place without a start. For $100-$150 or so I feel it is worth the piece of mind, others just wait until they die or act up. Most places (other than a dealer) do not charge to install it.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
285 Posts
is it cranking slowly or taking long to start? that's low usage you may just need to turn the key to on and pause for 2 seconds before starting. although the days of batteries lasting 8 or 9 years are long gone

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
is it cranking slowly or taking long to start? that's low usage you may just need to turn the key to on and pause for 2 seconds before starting. although the days of batteries lasting 8 or 9 years are long gone
I beg to differ. Buy good quality batteries and they last for quite a while. Still on OE batteries here at 10 years and and 8 years. Your bargain basement US made batteries are another story.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Battery life is a gamble. Some go a long time, and it's twin might not. There is no "right" answer. There are only a couple of actual battery manufactures out there, stores get their own label. My oe in the Elantra died about 2.5 years old. Replaced the oe in my mom's 06 Cobalt last year. When buying, buy the best warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red are you saying that your 2010 Hyundai OEM battery is still in your car? And the original battery in your Accent?

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
285 Posts
These cars don't have keys to turn the ignition on. Push button start.
oops,never even thought about that. with this keyless ignition how does one roll the windows down or play the radio without starting the car?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I beg to differ. Buy good quality batteries and they last for quite a while. Still on OE batteries here at 10 years and and 8 years. Your bargain basement US made batteries are another story.

However, it sounds like you have not purchased any batteries as yet (so what are "good batteries") and you are implying the OEM batteries are good batteries because yours have last 8-10 years!!! Need clarification.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
However, it sounds like you have not purchased any batteries as yet (so what are "good batteries") and you are implying the OEM batteries are good batteries because yours have last 8-10 years!!! Need clarification.
Both batteries are made in Asia. One is by Rocket the other Pilot. I don't know if they are AGM or not as they don't say they are but they are sealed. Never any acid of corrosion on the terminals.

Deka makes good regular batteries and about any AGM battery will outlast the typical flooded cell battery made in the USA.

I haven't bought a flooded cell battery in 15 years. I do have a spare Odyssey AGM that will go into the Accent when the OE dies. I bought it used off Ebay and it was deader than a door nail. Used it in a Ford Taurus before I got rid of that car.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
After reading through all these posts I figured I should change my 2013 Sonata battery out. 5 Years on OEM and still going. Not bad at all but I'd be risky going more. I'd rather have a fresh battery than get stuck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts