Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Veracruz battery keeps dying after being serviced at the dealer.

We've had this car for a year and have loved it! It's an '08 we bought used and in great shape. The only thing we've had go wrong is the driver's door lock which would not operate via the remote - we had to reach in to unlock it. A few days after this was fixed, the battery went dead. It happened again after a few more days and then again later that week. I took it to a few places and had the battery and alternator checked, both were great and the battery was only a year old. The dealership had it a few more times and could not find the problem until today.

They said the radio was causing the drain because of a malfunction. This could not be repaired so the entire system has to be replaced at a cost of $3-4k! they said they can get a 'swap' unit for $1300-$1500, though... apparently the radio is out of warranty even though the rest of the vehicle is not? Corp Hyundai confirmed the warranty limits and now I have a huge repair staring at me. I asked if we could pull the yellow stereo kill switch in the fuse box every night and they said yes, but we'd lose all presets, etc.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem or has heard of it before?
ANY assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

OZ

·
Registered
578 Posts
Our Veracruz battery keeps dying after being serviced at the dealer.

We've had this car for a year and have loved it! It's an '08 we bought used and in great shape. The only thing we've had go wrong is the driver's door lock which would not operate via the remote - we had to reach in to unlock it. A few days after this was fixed, the battery went dead. It happened again after a few more days and then again later that week. I took it to a few places and had the battery and alternator checked, both were great and the battery was only a year old. The dealership had it a few more times and could not find the problem until today.

They said the radio was causing the drain because of a malfunction. This could not be repaired so the entire system has to be replaced at a cost of $3-4k! they said they can get a 'swap' unit for $1300-$1500, though... apparently the radio is out of warranty even though the rest of the vehicle is not? Corp Hyundai confirmed the warranty limits and now I have a huge repair staring at me. I asked if we could pull the yellow stereo kill switch in the fuse box every night and they said yes, but we'd lose all presets, etc.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem or has heard of it before?
ANY assistance is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

OZ
An aftermarket head-unit, harness adapters, steering wheel audio adapter and dash-kit for a few hundred dollars. The final cost will depend on the type of head-unit chosen.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Definitely go aftermarket, even if you have to give up the steering wheel functions. The older a car gets the more you have to live with its quirks, otherwise it becomes a money pit.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i doubt the entire system is to blame. and for $1,500 (used)...like others before me, go aftermarket. if you want factory....ebay usually has some HU for sale for like $250 which could plug right into your wiring harness.

or, try another dealership and see what they say.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pull the stereo fuse for a couple of days and see if the battery still dies. If it dies you have a different problem, maybe connected with recent repairs. I'd be checking that they have the fault identified correctly before doing anything. A new replacement head unit for your car is about $500 and there are tutorials to do the replacement process yourself.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Pull the stereo fuse for a couple of days and see if the battery still dies. If it dies you have a different problem, maybe connected with recent repairs. I'd be checking that they have the fault identified correctly before doing anything. A new replacement head unit for your car is about $500 and there are tutorials to do the replacement process yourself.

What he said

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great answers, thank you!

I asked how they pinpointed the stereo as the cause and was told that they pulled all of the fuses and replaced them one by one until they saw a drop in amps. That occurred when the stereo fuse was replaced. I then asked what else is on that fuse and they told me the interior lights and the locking system(!). It's a two fuse 'plug' apparently and one fuse is the stereo , the other lights and locks.

Can anyone confirm that only the stereo is on the one fuse?

They are going to pull the stereo fuse and let it sit for a day to see if there is a drop. Just too much of a coincidence for me to have the locks involved.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
If there was a problem with the car unlocking and they fixed that issue and the locking is on the same fuse as the stereo; seems like a strange coincidence.

You owners manual should tell what fuse shares what.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This response is long so be patient when reading iy.

It may not be the stereo. If it is a Hyundai battery, that could be your problem. I have a 2008 Limited which I purchased new in 2009. In 2010, I was on vacation and went out to start my car and found the battery was dead. I jump started the car and took it to the Hyundai dealer where I was vacationing. They checked the battery and said that it was fine. A few months later, I had a dead battery again. I went to Advanced Auto and had them check the battery and they said that it was good. I then took it to my Hyundai dealer and had them recheck it. Initially They also said that it was fine. Since the battery was within 2 weeks of the 2 year free replacement warranty, I told the service people that I did not want to come back a few weeks later and have them tell me that I had a bad battery. They rechecked it and found a weak cell and replaced it under warranty.

However the replacement battery died after 30 months again while on vacation. I had to pay for the replacement. I have since done searches on Hyundai battery problems and based on those searches believe that the Hyundai batteries are prone to early failure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update- stereo draining battery overnight

Hey,

Thanks for the great feedback. I apologize for the delay in updating, but we only just got the car back from the dealer this weekend! Fortunately, we had use of their loan vehicle during this time.

They finally came back to the stereo as the problem. They also put in a new battery as they had cycled the old one dozens of times during the search and it was no longer doing well, I assume. They also said the posts were loose...

Anyway, they had to do some conference calls with corporate, apparently, to come to a conclusion. I'm told that the stereo does not always know when the car is turned off and even though the display is not on, the unit still is. They have pulled the main stereo fuse and I have driven for a few days without incident. I plan to try it for a few more then replace the fuse and see what happens.

Has anyone heard of this or know of a cure?

Thanks, again.

OZ

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Cure would be to get a radio that is not defective. A bandaid fix would be to wire it to a relay that is only on when the accessory or ignition is on. This should be the way it is wired from the factory. The only reason to have constant power on the radio is to maintain the clock and preset radio settings.

Is this a factory radio? If it is your dealer is clueless and feeding you BS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks,

Can't argue with the 'clueless' comment. They had it for weeks without finding the cause.

I'm told there is a switching circuit inside the factory radio that has malfunctioned. They also said that there is a third party shop that claims to be able to fix it for $50-$200.

I'm open to all suggestions on confirming the cause and finding a cure!

-OZ

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
There isn't much you can do to fix it if it is the constant power circuit drawing too many amps when off. You either replace the radio or go with the other third party option. If something inside is not switching off from the switched power (accessory or ignition) that is not the radio's fault but an OEM wire loom or relay fault.

·
22,788 Posts
...2010, I was on vacation and went out to start my car and found the battery was dead.

However the replacement battery died after 30 months again while on vacation.
Root cause: car doesn't like to go on vacations! Stay home. You'll save a lot more money and have a lot less battery expenditures. :wink2: "Sorry, kids, no trips to Wet & Wild this year. Daddy's just bought a couple of plastic tarps and a new water sprinkler for the yard. Go get your swim suits and meet me out back."

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Please tell me more....

Some where there should be relays that will power all the accessories and engine control circuits when the key is on. Probably one for the engine and one for accessories.

One could be sticking or since most are controlled by a grounded wire on the relay coils, there may be a ground shorted to ground when it should not be. That is a hard one to find.

I would find the two relays and make sure they are off when they should be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2012 Veracruz and are on our 3rd battery. If it sits for more than 3 days without being started/driven the battery is dead. Hyundai will run out a new battery and replace the dead one, but its become quite the "pain-in-the-ass" type of thing. None of the other new digitally technical generation autos seems to have this problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts