Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Not sure if this has been asked but I tried searching but could not find anything. Sorry for posting is already asked. I have this situation that has been happening since the end of 2019. The issue is that my battery drains. it does not happen all the time. When it happens is weird, there are times when I leave my 13' Santa Fe 2.4L parked in the driveway overnight come morning time when I want to start up it will not turnover (Battery is newly changed in October 2019) so first thought was it can not be this that battery is new. The weird thing is that when opening the doors and closing the doors something gets triggered and the lights turn on and I'm able to turn over and start up everything is reset.

Not sure if anybody has come across this if so what was the resolution.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If you are saying that you get in and try to start the engine and nothing happens....Then you open and close the door, the lights come on, and the vehicle then starts....Probably not a battery issue. It still could be a battery if the battery has an intermittent open and the vibration from closing the doors allow it to then have a closed circuit internally....But the same could be true of a wiring issue. Could also be an ECM / BCM issue (Not commanding the starter motor to engage) or any one of a variety of possible other issues.

Is this the same reason that the first battery was replaced? If so then I would say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that both batteries would have the same fault.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello All,

Not sure if this has been asked but I tried searching but could not find anything. Sorry for posting is already asked. I have this situation that has been happening since the end of 2019. The issue is that my battery drains. it does not happen all the time. When it happens is weird, there are times when I leave my 13' Santa Fe 2.4L parked in the driveway overnight come morning time when I want to start up it will not turnover (Battery is newly changed in October 2019) so first thought was it can not be this that battery is new. The weird thing is that when opening the doors and closing the doors something gets triggered and the lights turn on and I'm able to turn over and start up everything is reset.

Not sure if anybody has come across this if so what was the resolution.

Thanks for the help.
This sounds like the problem I had with my battery. Bought new Sept 2019 (Duralast Gold) and had random electrical problems. Key would not work at times, regarding the light on the handles at night would work randomly, could not open the tailgate sometimes, then the car would [start] to randomly "reboot" while driving. All power would be gone, it would reboot and then all would be fine. Took the battery back to Autozone after 2 months of this happening and they confirmed it was a bad "cell" in the battery. They did a 15 minute diagnostic and it was only charging to 60%. Also, I took it to the dealer afterwards and there were numerous "low voltage" codes even though no light was illuminated. Got a new one for no charge and have not had a problem since. He said to me--- "this happens more than you think". I said " New bad batteries"? He said "Yes....".

·
Registered
566 Posts
When I've bought replacement batteries for myself or friends/family I either request the new battery be tested, or I carry a multimeter with me.
Most recently I go to Walmart, where I can pick the freshest date and the highest standing voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts