Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non-Hyundai specific question, but hoping someone here can answer.

My parents have a 2011 Ford Fusion SEL 2.5L that they purchased new in November 2010. Every winter they go to Florida for a couple of months and while there I take care of their house and car. The only use the car gets is to be started, moved out of the driveway while I shovel or snow blow and then put back in. Every year I have to boost the car from my Santa Fe more times then I care to mention.

The battery was dead on Sunday, unable to even unlock the doors, so I decided to pull the battery (original Ford Moto Craft battery, indicating 500 Cold Cranking Amps on it) out and bring it in the house to hook up to a small 20+ year old 12V battery charger. After about 10 hours hooked to that charger the battery seems to be stalled out at about 75% charge according to the gauge on the charger.

My experience with batteries has been that the little clear indicator on the top should appear green. But this batteries viewer is red inside. But there are no instructions on the battery to indicate if red or green are “normal.” So my question is – is this battery fit for the garbage since it is showing red?

There’s no issue with the battery all summer long or for the part of the winter when the car is in use regularly, but as soon as the car sits in the cold weather for a week or more without use, the battery is just useless.

Also of note: when I did successfully start the car 2 weeks ago to move it out of the driveway, I left it idling for about an hour with the lights and heater all turned off while I was clearing the snow away. I hoped that it would charge the battery on its own, but it never. 2 years ago, I did call Ford and had a tow truck come and take the car in and they just said it was a dead battery and we must have left the lights on. But I can guarantee that was not the problem. I never bothered calling them for it since.

Scott.
 

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
Joined
·
8,803 Posts
Leave the charger on for 24 hours. It should go down to under an amp charging. If not the battery is bad.

Letting a car start battery sit dead or under charged will kill them.

You should either charge the battery and then disconnect it if the car is to sit or put a smart trickle charger on it, one that will shut itself off. Cheap trickle chargers will not regulate themselves and end up overcharging the battery.
 

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
Joined
·
8,803 Posts
Yes float charge is for maintaining. You have the other charger to bring it to full charge. Trying to charge a dead battery with something like 1.25 A will take a couple of days if it is able to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,712 Posts
I store a Mustang in the winter and I keep a maintainer on it. I also hook it up in the summer if I know the car will be sitting for a week or so.
It's a good investment vs buying a new battery every couple of years.

Sometimes if a battery goes completely dead you can lose a cell and it will never be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips!

I'll connect the charger again today and leave it on for a longer time - I wasn't sure if the battery could be overcharged or not and was
hesitant to leave it on.

Any thoughts on the red (instead of green) indicator on the top of the battery?
 

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
Joined
·
8,803 Posts
I'm not sure about the indicator on the top of the battery. But I think it is only for the level of the acid. Put in just enough distilled or other dimineralized water to cover the baffle plate, Do Not Overfill.

If you leave the charger on for a long time be sure the amps drop or you will cook the water out of the battery.

One way to see if the battery is any good at the end of the charge is open the vent caps, if you can, and see if there is much bubbling. There should just be an occasional bubble. If there us a lot of bubbling, the battery is shot.

A high amp input (~1A) and constant bubbling means the resistance is too high and the battery cannot take the charge. Normal end of charge rate should be under 1A.

If there is acid on the post and top of the battery then it is leaking either due to overcharging of a bad seal at the post. This will weaken the acid over time, as you add water to make up the volume, and also corrode things.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top