Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Unbelievable run-around you're getting.

Let's be clear on this.... Hyundai has a spec for what the maximum static current draw should be and it is almost trivially easy to measure what it currently is on your car. These are two hard numbers that are easy to compare. If they can't give you these numbers, they're not doing their job. If the static draw is below the threshold, then the battery should last a month or more between starts (assuming the battery is not faulty - I don't recall if it has been replaced, but it should have been by now just to eliminate this as a possible cause). f the draw is above the threshold, then you begin pulling fuses to see what system is over-drawing. This is Mechanics 101 stuff.

It is ridiculous that their solution to this is to hold the car for a few days. So if the car barely starts after three days, they pronounce it Okay? Which means the next time you start it after a week or a bad cold snap, you're stranded? The service department at your dealership sounds epically incompetent and I'd avoid them like the plague. Their idea that the problem was a bad ground cable defies basics laws of physics.

You can certainly take the car to another Hyundai dealer from the one you bought it from; in fact, if you have another dealer within reasonable distance, then that is the first thing I'd do.

Call me paranoid, but my take on the dealership encouraging you to escalate and consider lemon law is that their objective is to frustrate you with this process and then up sell you into another car, with significant out of pocket expenses. As others have said, lemon law proceedings are no picnic and you should view this as a last, not a first, resort.

All you need is a competent mechanic with a service manual.

- Mark

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would say if you have faithfully tried to have you dealer repair this and they have not. Then taking it to an independent shop and if they do fix the issue Hyundai would reimburse you.
Taking the car to a competent shop to have it properly diagnosed and fixed might be the easiest way out, but Hyundai has absolutely no provision to reimburse owners for warranty fixes at an independent shop. The warranty is only good at a Hyundai dealer.

- Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Per the dealer's recommendation, I reached out to Hyundai Customer Care this morning. I sent them a detailed e-mail regarding what has occurred with my car over the past 4 months. I received a call from them within 30 minutes of sending the e-mail! That was pretty impressive. I was told that they would reach out to the dealer and get a better understanding what the Service department is trying to do, and to offer any help to them as needed. I was told to expect a follow-up call from Hyundai within the next few days.

We will see where this leads ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Latest update ...

· I talked to the Service Manager again on 2/12/15 – he said that they had tested each circuit and found no phantom and/or out-of-spec current draws. They added a battery shim to ‘ensure better contact’. Next, they wanted to let the car sit for a few days to see if that fixed the problem. Today (2/18/15) they informed me that the car would not start again. They asked me if I had done any mods to the car that could be drawing power (no, since I have not had the car in my hands long enough) and said that there were a couple of wires coming out of the fuse box that they could not identify. He says that they will need to go back over both fuse boxes, check every fuse, and check everything coming into and going out of the fuse boxes. I did not detect any note of optimism in his voice ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes, I am definitely ready to move on. If only I had any good options!

I talked to Hyundai National Care again today. The person I had been working with was out of the office, but they were able to pull up my case and updated it with the latest information. They asked what I wanted to do next, and when I asked what my options were they said they could not tell me - that they were only able to proceed as the customer asks!! I could not get them past this ... they were very well trained. I finally asked if getting my car replaced was an option and they said they could pass my case on to the 'car replacement' department and I would hear back next week. I would really rather that they find the problem and fix my car, but maybe this will get more attention. I checked my dealer's inventory and amazingly they have 2 cars that appear to be equipped exactly like mine in the same color on their lot! I would not complain if they just handed over the keys to one of those. Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
One more call from the Service Department today. They say that the problem was the Homelink in the rear view mirror was drawing too much juice due to a defective mirror. Funny thing is, I had them install the upgraded mirror at the time of purchase as part of my negotiations. The first time the battery went dead, I asked them if the mirror could be the culprit (mis-wired, etc.). They said no way.

New mirror arrives on Friday and they will install it and then keep the car until Monday and check again. Let's hope that this is it ...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
In my previous career I would troubleshoot problems. Pursuant to solution, the preliminary fundamental diagnosis was "cause and effect". Often it's obvious. Sometimes not so much that it's excluded as a cause. However it should never be eliminated until the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Posts 44 and 48 do not correspond - they should have been able to find the mirror problem much sooner.

·
Registered
860 Posts
sounds hopeful they have finally found the issue.
Odd it was their own 'mod' that did it. Maybe a pinched wire or something on the newer mirror install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Latest Battery Drain Update

OK. Possible good news and one big question.

I picked up my car today and the Repair Order states: "Checked charge and start system and found vehicle to have a 12 amp draw. Diagnose and found draw to be coming from the Home Link mirror. Replaced Home Link mirror and recheck draw is now below .05 amps."

Sounds good!

Went I got home (just for fun) I pushed the Home Link button on the 'new' mirror and my garage door opened! I called the Service Manager and innocently asked him if I would need to reprogram the mirror when I got home and he said 'yes'. I then told him what had actually happened. He went to ask the Technician about this, who told him that there is a way to sync the 2 mirrors to keep the programming.

Is this BS??

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
OK. Possible good news and one big question.

I picked up my car today and the Repair Order states: "Checked charge and start system and found vehicle to have a 12 amp draw. Diagnose and found draw to be coming from the Home Link mirror. Replaced Home Link mirror and recheck draw is now below .05 amps."

Sounds good!

Went I got home (just for fun) I pushed the Home Link button on the 'new' mirror and my garage door opened! I called the Service Manager and innocently asked him if I would need to reprogram the mirror when I got home and he said 'yes'. I then told him what had actually happened. He went to ask the Technician about this, who told him that there is a way to sync the 2 mirrors to keep the programming.

Is this BS??
No.... not BS.
He probably used the signal from the old unit to copy the signal onto the new unit....just like the instructions used on programming off your garage door opener remote

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just noticed this morning that the Compass feature is not working in the new mirror. Tried to turn it on with the power button, but it will not display. I will have to wait until night, but I suspect that the auto-dimming will not work either (there is no light on - green or red - next to the power button). I have another call into the dealer ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Bad news - Good news

When they installed the replacement mirror, they had not ensured that the wire connections were solid. So I had to take my car in again and wait for over an hour to fix it.

On the other hand - we just returned from an 8 day vacation during which the car just sat. It started up right away so it seems that they have fixed the problem.

Now the fun begins. I had initiated a complaint with the National Hyundai Customer Assurance and have been talking to their Western Region manager all during this time. She kept mentioning 'compensation' when the issue got resolved. So now I have a call into her to see what they are going to offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 Sonata battery lasted only 15 months and now will not hold a charge. The 2007 sonata original battery lasted 5 years as did the 2011 Toyota tundra.
So my take is that most of new car batteries are very good batteries. Some are not.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts