Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2014 GT 2 months and the battery has drained twice.

The first time the display said 'Key Not Detected' (I tried both of my fobs and it said the same thing). The car started with a jump.

The second time everything was black. No power at all. I tried to jump it and the lights and radio came on, but the car just clicked. I called for a tow and the guy said it should start with a jump. He tried and got the same results I did. Then he had me try to start it while he adjusted the jumper cable connection and it finally started.

Both times I double-checked for open doors, open hatch, dome lights on, etc. but found nothing.

Took it in to the dealer yesterday and they changed the battery (although it checked OK).

Has this happened to anybody else?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Probably it was just a bad cel in the battery. They can and do fail, sometimes early in their life span. And sometimes a load test doesn't pick it up if the battery has a full charge. If the dealer checked the charging system and it checked out okay then it was probably just a bad battery that would not hold a charge... or possibly a intermittant bad battery connection on the clamps or an internal problem in the battery with the post connection that was intermittant and prevented proper charging.

But if it happens again in the next 2 months or less, then I would say there is another problem. I assume the car has no electrical mods added that might lead to suspicion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery Still Draining

Battery has died yet again (3rd time!), even after the dealer replaced it. This time the car had been sitting (in a garage) for 12 days. I know that is a long time, but I have certainly had cars in the past sit that long with no battery problems. I called the dealer and they just said give it a jump.

I have not done any electrical mods ...

Is it time to escalate this problem? And if so, to whom?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Your batt should not go dead after 12 days of no use. You most likely have a bad/poor connection somewhere and you are losing voltage to ground. Unfourtunately those can be very hard no nail down.

It's obviously under warrenty...the dealer should take of you. Perhaps keep it for an extended period of time to figure it out.

A free rental would be appropriate also.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Either something is slowly draining the battery ir its not being charged properly. Keep the roadside assistance number handy for the next time it happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tow truck just took it away. We will see what the dealer comes up with this time.

I do keep the Hyundai Assurance card very handy. But I need a car that I can depend on. So far I have been lucky and every time this has happened, my car has been at home.

·
Registered
860 Posts
as the others have said... 12 days sitting is nothing. I have a 25 year old car car that sits for 30-60 days even in the cold and starts well.

Hope the dealer finds the problem ASAP. Indeed, you deserve a car that you can depend on starting.
Report back what they find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, they say that they found a 'bad ground' and have fixed it. They went on to say that Hyundai recommends that if the car is going to sit for more than 7 days, you pull the (main?) fuse so that items that have memory and thus draw power (such as radio, etc.) do not drain the battery. If I get more details when I pick up the car, I will let you know!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Well, they say that they found a 'bad ground' and have fixed it. They went on to say that Hyundai recommends that if the car is going to sit for more than 7 days, you pull the (main?) fuse so that items that have memory and thus draw power (such as radio, etc.) do not drain the battery. If I get more details when I pick up the car, I will let you know!
The bad ground could be legit. The 7 day crap is just that...BS!!

I've deployed before and left Maria sitting there for 3+ months. She started up just fine when I returned. Both in warm and cold months. They are feeding you a line of $hit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unbelievable! I just picked up my car and asked for more detail about the problem they found. They said that they found a bad ground on the battery terminal. The fix was to clean and tighten it. So they want me to believe that the terminal was dirty and loose when I bought the car causing the first 2 battery drains, and that it was still dirty and loose after they replaced the battery following the second discharge??

·
Registered
150 Posts
As long as the verbal explanation matches what is stated on the repair order you are covered. If they do not match go to the head of fixed operations for the dealership and request matching documentation.

It is feasible that a bad connection for whatever reason could keep a relay from disengaging or engaging for that matter causing current to leak when it shouldn't can cause the battery to drain. However, since the technician as well as the dealer expect to be paid for time and trouble by the factory for correcting anomalies a dirty battery terminal does not ring true. When this happens again and I'm sure it will, try to be with the car when it arrives at the dealership. Have them disconnect the negative side of the battery and then connect a simple test light between the disconnected cable and the negative anode of the battery. If the light illuminates there is a current draw present. That would be the correct time to ask( in a somewhat snarky fashion) about the effects of a dirty battery terminal.

·
Registered
893 Posts
This isn't rocket science..... Hyundai publishes a number for what the parasitic drain maximum is (which should easily allow the car to sit a month or two on a good, fully-charged battery and start without issue) and it is easy to check - pull the battery ground and put an multimeter in series with the circuit. Any dealer who is "fixing" this problem and hasn't checked this is a total doofus.

I don't see any scenario where a dirty battery terminal would increase parasitic drain, but there might be some VERY far-fetched one where some electrical system is not tripped off-line during shutdown. A dirty battery terminal might definitely make the car difficult to start on a fully-charged battery or possibly interfere with battery charging though. But on a new car, this is not a likely cause.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My Mother in Law's Camry had the same battery drain issue. Everything looked fine and was turned off. It turned out to be a faulty trunk lid switch that kept the light on (unseen of course).

·
Registered
597 Posts
Unbelievable! I just picked up my car and asked for more detail about the problem they found. They said that they found a bad ground on the battery terminal. The fix was to clean and tighten it. So they want me to believe that the terminal was dirty and loose when I bought the car causing the first 2 battery drains, and that it was still dirty and loose after they replaced the battery following the second discharge??
Corroded/dirty terminals can cause slow battery drainage. But knowing that they replaced it twice...if they left it like that shame on them...and if they are lying (lieing?) shame on them!

Either way...BS!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Corroded/dirty terminals can cause slow battery drainage. But knowing that they replaced it twice...if they left it like that shame on them...and if they are lying (lieing?) shame on them!

Either way...BS!
and on a car so new? less than 6 months old and corroded battery terminals?
I honestly think if that is the only fix they did ... the OP is not clear yet. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My Mother in Law's Camry had the same battery drain issue. Everything looked fine and was turned off. It turned out to be a faulty trunk lid switch that kept the light on (unseen of course).
Hook up an ammeter in series with the battery negative terminal and check the reading after 5 min.

Then start to pull out 1 fuse at a time and see if the meter goes back to zero. Write down what fuse you pulled out that had no effect and put it back in the fuse box.

Continue the above until you find the fuse/circuit that causes the ammeter to go to zero. When you find the fuse that causes the ammeter to go to zero, then you know what circuit to investigate for the cause of your problem.

In the old days it was common to find a mercury switch that was stuck on in the glove compartment or trunklid that was continuing to draw power when the lid was closed.

Common sense check, but your dealer has mechanics that do not seem to have much of it !

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm honestly curious about the technical mechanism where increasing resistance in a circuit causes a increase in current flow.

- Mark
Doesn't so much increase current as decrease the ability of the alternator to charge the battery. Over time it will die off...especially in colder months.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts