·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2009 Sonata on April 18, 2008
1.Original battery died on July 2, 2013
2.Replaced with a NAPA 75124R, Legend 18 mo Exchange
3.Battery died January 4, 2014
4.Replaced with a NAPA 75124R, Legend 18 mo Exchange (full Replacement)
5.Battery died January 21, 2014
6.Put battery on charger to fully charge the battery
7.Checked current drain with engine off, measured the following:
a.0.79 Amps for about 5 seconds
b.Drops to 0.17 Amps for about 1 second
c.Keeps repeating, 0.79 Amps for 5 sec, drops to 0.17 amps for 1 second, back up to 0.79 Amps for 5 sec…

I think there is too much current drain, and it seems to oscillate between the two values. Problem is we are in the middle of a snow storm here in CT. If I had the time I would pull one fuse at a time to find the problem circuit, but I might just bring it Hyundai.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized that on November 19, 2013 the Stop Lamp Switch was replaced under warranty, could this have anything to do with the battery problem?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery drain issue 2009 Sonata GLS (fixed)

This car is driven by my daughter, so I ask her yesterday if there was anything unusual or different about the car. She says that during the summer when she would go to the beach she would sometimes listen to the radio with her feet resting on the dashboard. Sand got into the EJECT switch and its always pressed in but its not a big deal because it still works and the CD ejects when you shut the radio off.

So today I put the battery back into the car after charging it up overnight and put my ammeter in series with the positive lead to measure the current. I get the same high reading as the other day. Then I take a small screwdriver to the EJECT switch and pry it out, than watch as the current drops down. After un-sticking the EJECT button current measured: 0.12 Amps dropping to 0.05 Amps then finally to 0.01 Amps after about a min.

So the problem was the "EJECT" button on the radio CD player was stuck pushed in all the time.

I would have never guessed that that could be a problem.

·
22,788 Posts
And daughter now knows to keep her "sand-coated, cute little painted toenails, off the dash?" Nice discovery!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Props to you, Dad, for keeping the lines of communication open. Many kids won't speak up for fear of getting yelled at.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After un-sticking the EJECT button current measured: 0.12 Amps dropping to 0.05 Amps then finally to 0.01 Amps after about a min.

So the problem was the "EJECT" button on the radio CD player was stuck pushed in all the time.
After the EJECT button was fixed, the currents final value after the door was shut for about 1 min settled at 0.01 Amps. It seems to drop in three steps before reaching its final value.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
It is normal for the amps to drop in stages. It is different modules shutting off.

.01A is still too high. You should be around 50mA or less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts