Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, when starting my 2014 HSH limited in cold weather, I've gotten a very brief glimpse of a screen on the Nav unit that has something about "Warning: battery discharge..." and then it goes away. It's happened twice in the last few weeks after parking the car outside for some hours in the cold Chicago weather. Since the car is garaged at my house, I never see it there - only after its been soaking in the cold for several hours and then started. Does anyone know what this screen says in its entirety? As I said it's only appeared very quickly and then its gone. I'm hoping its not a harbinger of something bad developing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I get the same message. It's the 12V battery in the trunk not the hybrid battery and if the cold cranking amps dips a bit the car comes up with that warning. I have had my battery checked at the dealer and they say they cant replace it since when I drive it to them it holds 12V steady. Just annoying. But mine has only done it like 4 times at most in 2 years. Not a big deal I figure.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I get that any time I use anything that draws power with the engine not started. It has done it since day one and I assume it is just a warning not to use the battery as you can drain it if the car is not turned on.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I get that message any time I use the accessory side of the ignition to listen to the radio. Haven't seen it with the ignition "on".
Same here. Comes on very quick if I listen to the radio with the car off. And I've had experiences when I ignored it and listed to the radio for about 20-25 minutes. The battery was almost dead when I went to start it. Had that annoying "ding, ding, ding" chime going off.

This doesn't seem to be a car to take to the drive-in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments all. Come to think of it, when I first got the car I used to listen to the radio in ACC mode but it didn't take long before I got a warning screen about battery discharge. It was such a nuisance that I just listen to the radio with the ignition on now. I guess its that same screen popping up ever so briefly when I turn the ignition on in very cold weather.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Same here. Comes on very quick if I listen to the radio with the car off. And I've had experiences when I ignored it and listed to the radio for about 20-25 minutes. The battery was almost dead when I went to start it. Had that annoying "ding, ding, ding" chime going off.

This doesn't seem to be a car to take to the drive-in.
Funny, I've gone to a drive-in several times and never had an issue. I did have a tendency to start it halfway through a movie, just to be safe, but even times I didn't I still had no problems. And since it was a double feature, I definitely had it on for several minutes between movies.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
After I had 12V battery problems I got this Eqqus monitor to see what was happening while listening to the radio. With the car started and the HV battery at 50% (12V @12.5V) the ICE would start about 20 minutes later when it got down to 32% (12V @ 11.2V) and run until it reached 45% (12V @ 11.7) about 2 minutes later and then repeat about 10 minutes later. The car wouldn't start with the battery below 11V for me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is the dealer said if the battery is a tad low turn the blue mode off and keep it in black mode. By running the engine more it charges the 12v battery faster. I find with the Hybrid I never put the car in acc since its a hybrid I just leave the car on if i listen to the radio and let the cr turn the engine on and off as it sees fit. If I am correct our 12v battery is not a cheap one. Other Hybrids or cars with auto stop start have to have a strong 12v battery and they cost more than just your cheap autozone special.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is the dealer said if the battery is a tad low turn the blue mode off and keep it in black mode. By running the engine more it charges the 12v battery faster.
I don't see this really having an effect; from the little I know, Black Drive (by itself) does not change how often the car switches to EV mode. All it does is change the throttle sensitivity and shift points. Essentially, he seems to be saying that you need to stop driving efficiently (hypermiling).

Basically, what he really seems to mean is to make some "jack rabbit starts" (as much as you can in the HSH) and don't stop efficiently, so the battery doesn't charge as much and you are wasting power.

I find with the Hybrid I never put the car in acc since its a hybrid I just leave the car on if i listen to the radio and let the cr turn the engine on and off as it sees fit. If I am correct our 12v battery is not a cheap one. Other Hybrids or cars with auto stop start have to have a strong 12v battery and they cost more than just your cheap autozone special.
I'm not sure what you mean by saying the battery is "not a cheap one." It isn't cheap because there don't seem to be many aftermarket choices and it is a closed system (since it is very tough to check the water level/add water).

Beyond that, from what I can tell, it isn't a particularly powerful battery, though it doesn't seem to be less powerful than the standard Sonata's battery. The battery doesn't need the cold-cranking power that is needed for most cars, since the 12V battery doesn't start the ICE. Instead, the 12V battery's job in starting the car is merely to start the onboard computers and "connect" the HV battery. Most of the 12V battery power seems to be needed to power the accessories.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Up here in the cold states black mode keeps the engine running more. Mostly to keep the charge level up. In warmer months black mode does not run the engine as much. But when the engine is running the charging system is recharging the 12v battery more. The dealer only said to do it for 20 minutes. Not like leave it in that more. I almost never use black mode as I am just a cheap jerk lol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Up here in the cold states black mode keeps the engine running more. Mostly to keep the charge level up. In warmer months black mode does not run the engine as much. But when the engine is running the charging system is recharging the 12v battery more. The dealer only said to do it for 20 minutes. Not like leave it in that more. I almost never use black mode as I am just a cheap jerk lol.
Why do you feel that Black mode keeps the engine running more? My read is it just makes the gas pedal more responsive and changes the shift point in the transmission.

As for the 12V battery I assume it is similar to the concept behind my Prius. It is a small battery that is only used to operate the relay to the HV battery and run 12V accessories, it does not actually turn a starter motor like in an ICE car. Typically these small batteries are expensive due to lower volume of production. I know the trick in the Prius when you needed a battery was to buy one made for a Mazda Miata as they were almost identical and the Miata one was much cheaper. As long as it can fit in the space you can use any sealed battery with the same or larger amp-hour rating.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Call me crazy but I feel it runs the engine more, for example. It runs the battery more at a stop to get the hybrid battery charge up for added boost at take off. It doesn't run forever at a stop but it seems to run more to charge the hybrid battery more than just my normal coasting and braking. It starts the engine sooner from a takeoff than in blu-mode like you mentioned increase in throttle response. Our generation of electric motor is only 38hp I think and around 70lb of torque so at take off with even modest use of the gas pedal the engine to me seems to start up sooner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata Hybrid Limited, and I've seemingly randomly been getting this warning message since I got the vehicle. I only drive 10 miles round trip to/from work each day. I've only seen this warning show up immediately after a cold start when I haven't been using ACC mode, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I've driven the car a lot or a little before letting it sit or in how long I let it sit between uses. Several dealers have told me they've never heard of this nor has Hyundai Corporate, so I just left it alone. 5 years later the car is still driving great.

Tyler

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm reviving this old thread because with the extreme cold we've been having in the Chicago area, I am now getting warning chimes sounding when I start the car after its been sitting outside in the cold for a bunch of hours. There is no visual warning on any of the screens - just the insistent chimes for about 10 seconds then it stops. Car seems to function normally after that. Anyone else heard these chmes in the extreme cold? Know why they happen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
To remove or hack the message "battery discharge warning " it is necessary to connect a 12v current to the A7 ALT_L pin which is a 12v signal sent by the controller when the battery current is correct, in my case I change the A / V unit of an Accent 2017 to 2016 so it did not bring such a signal, simply add a new cable to the in the A7 pin connector and connect it to the 12v ACC current. The message no longer appears and in the ALT signal configuration it is already TRUE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts