Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do people buy battery charger just for storing the car? If I drive my car everyday, it will charge my car. So I dont need a charger do I? Or maybe all I need is charger that also works as a booster in case my battery dies one day? Any comments?

·
22,788 Posts
It's a matter of preference. Driving every day? I wouldn't think you'd need one. If you're letting it sit for a week, or weeks at a time, starting it and letting it run for a bit will go a long way in keeping it up to full charge and "at the ready" if you need to go somewhere. As long as your battery starts the car, and gives you no signs of problems, let the issue rest. Batteries usually give you warning signs, e.g., slow engine turn over, etc. Quickly diagnosed at most auto stores for free. Solution, in that case if the battery shows signs of aging, is to get a replacement.

Not knowing your particular locale, you may be more susceptible to battery wear in extreme climates. That's a determination only you can make and owning a battery charger may be a viable pro-active option. Some owners elect to include a set of jumper cables in their trunk as a "go-to" back-up plan.

When all else fails, the common sense approach oftentimes works best.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It's a matter of preference. Driving every day? I wouldn't think you'd need one. If you're letting it sit for a week, or weeks at a time, starting it and letting it run for a bit will go a long way in keeping it up to full charge and "at the ready" if you need to go somewhere. As long as your battery starts the car, and gives you no signs of problems, let the issue rest. Batteries usually give you warning signs, e.g., slow engine turn over, etc. Quickly diagnosed at most auto stores for free. Solution, in that case if the battery shows signs of aging, is to get a replacement.

Not knowing your particular locale, you may be more susceptible to battery wear in extreme climates. That's a determination only you can make and owning a battery charger may be a viable pro-active option. Some owners elect to include a set of jumper cables in their trunk as a "go-to" back-up plan.

When all else fails, the common sense approach oftentimes works best.
Thinking of picking this charger up from harbor freight with 25% off coupon and shipping comes to under $45

Attachments

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I have a couple of chargers. And a couple of cars. Sometimes I don't drive the other car for a couple of weeks and the battery will be low. It is not a good idea to try and recharge a low battery with the alternator as it takes so long. Right now the other car is parked for the winter so the battery is disconnected. In the spring I'll give it a boost.

One charger is the 2/10A the other is an industrial one that will put out 50A and is smart enough to go to float charge; which is an extreme low level of charge when the battery is fully charged.

A charger is just a tool. Some people don't use them some do. What you are going to do when the battery is dead for some reason.

·
22,788 Posts
Thinking of picking this charger up from harbor freight with 25% off coupon and shipping comes to under $45
Nice addition to any garage, IMO. Also gives you an allure of "mechanical prowess" amongst friends that come over. :laughing:

What you are going to do when the battery is dead for some reason.
I'm calling Roadside Assistance. At least for the next 3 & 1/2 years. After that, I'll make a well-informed decision based on what the wife tells me she's decided that I should do! :wink2: Like most stuff around the house, if it turns out successful, it was a GREAT idea. If not, it's entirely my fault. Funny how things work out that way.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Nice addition to any garage, IMO. Also gives you an allure of "mechanical prowess" amongst friends that come over.
/QUOTE]

ROFL too funny Rich!
Actually in all seriousness I run around in Mississippi with nothing for "back up" in my Tucson. Okay I am never going to get stuck in a snow storm but I am thinking that I need a "kit" for emergencies and this charger seems like a good addition. Probably with a set of jumper cables just in case.
Plus I can use the charger on my lawn tractor battery if needed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A dedicated float charger might be a good addition for anyone that stores their cars for weeks (or more) at a time. I've had great luck with Battery Tender plus chargers.

These have a very specific purpose. It won't boost a dead car. It won't even work if the battery is too flat. It's sole purpose is to safely top up and maintain a battery if the car isn't going to run for a while. It's also handy for intermittent-use batteries on mowers, boats, ATVs, etc. It's NOT a replacement for a good boost charger, jumper cable set, or other emergency solution.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I live out in the country and have for the last 35 years. You become self sufficient or pay the price.

If you do not have your own house then for sure get some jumper cables. A charger isn't much good away from home either. My 2/10A one has got to be 30 years old. I've repaired the wires on it and replaced the clamps but it is reliable as can be and works great.

Road side assistance is OK if you don't mind waiting and have no other resources. I've found with auto clubs and living in rural areas it's a hit or miss and usually a miss. 24 hrs may mean that's how long before service.

·
Registered
807 Posts
A dedicated float charger might be a good addition for anyone that stores their cars for weeks (or more) at a time. I've had great luck with Battery Tender plus chargers.

These have a very specific purpose. It won't boost a dead car. It won't even work if the battery is too flat. It's sole purpose is to safely top up and maintain a battery if the car isn't going to run for a while. It's also handy for intermittent-use batteries on mowers, boats, ATVs, etc. It's NOT a replacement for a good boost charger, jumper cable set, or other emergency solution.
Okay, so what would you use in these scenarios
1) Battery dead, car in garage so Hyundai roadside will not come out

2) Battery dead stuck out somewhere in the "back of beyond" . Roadside assistance will not be along anytime soon

Is there a portable charger that can be carried in the vehicle that would save the day?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
1. Battery charger. Does not need to be big. 10A would charge it enough in an hour or so to start. If the battery is completely drained then nothing will help but a full recharge or a new battery. Full recharge would take 15-24 hours.

2. Jumper cables and flag down a car.

Any portable boost would have to be kept charged.

·
Registered
807 Posts
1. Battery charger. Does not need to be big. 10A would charge it enough in an hour or so to start. If the battery is completely drained then nothing will help but a full recharge or a new battery. Full recharge would take 15-24 hours.

Yes, that's why I was thinking of picking up that charger from Harbor Freight

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I've never used one. It would have to be kept charged up. Not just something you throw in the trunk and forget about. 17AH battery is not very big and would not give you much cranking time.

I guess it charges up as you drive from what I can read.

·
22,788 Posts

Or living at the top of a steep hill with a manual trans. That's your only hope and prayer if none of the other options are available. Not my idea of a good time.

350 Posts
Or living at the top of a steep hill with a manual trans. That's your only hope and prayer if none of the other options are available. Not my idea of a good time.
When I was a starving student I had an old VW with mismatched engine & transmission- so no starter could be installed. None fit, and I didn't have the resources to make one from scratch.

So I parked on hills, and it worked fine that way for most of a year, until I could afford a better car.

Now I have cars with starters, I can afford to replace the batteries before they die. But I still keep jumper cables, a mains charger and a portable boost box, just in case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I was a starving student I had an old VW with mismatched engine & transmission- so no starter could be installed. None fit, and I didn't have the resources to make one from scratch.

So I parked on hills, and it worked fine that way for most of a year, until I could afford a better car.
That's hilarious! I thought my Accent GL was a bare-bones car, but it does have a starter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like to invest on a charger with boost starter. They come in differnt rates. 2/4/6 amp
Sometimes 4/6/10 the list goes on like that. How do i decide which amp charger i should gt. Also
Some boostchargers are rated at 75 or 80 or 100. I like to get a charger with starter not just for my 2009 hyundai accent, but i wanto keep it for my future cars. Something i would use for larger car maybe 4x4 or somehing else. What is min amp rate for general use?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like to invest on a charger with boost starter. They come in differnt rates. 2/4/6 amp
Sometimes 4/6/10 the list goes on like that. How do i decide which amp charger i should gt. Also
Some boostchargers are rated at 75 or 80 or 100. I like to get a charger with starter not just for my 2009 hyundai accent, but i wanto keep it for my future cars. Something i would use for larger car maybe 4x4 or somehing else. What is min amp rate for general use?

I have an old Motomaster charger from Canadian Tire. 2/10/55 amp. I've never had to use the 55amp setting (knocking on wood). It's a great charger though. I left a dead Optima redtop on the 2amp setting for about 24hrs and it's back to working perfectly. It's been -20 here at times. Any good charger could have done it but this is an old charger still rockin... so it has paid for itself a few times.

Product number #11-1504-0 at Canadian Tire $99. seems like a good deal. 2/12/75 would get a truck going if you needed it to. It's got a switch for conventional and Deep cycle/AGM batteries... cool. Mine does not.

350 Posts
This charger has been tested an works quite well. One guy started over 20 cars with it for a single charge and can be used to power many other things.

Amazon.com: PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter: Automotive
That thing would make me nervous. Lithium batteries are still not the most stable things to have around. Especially big ones- that's no tablet battery.

Apart from that, I can't see it lasting very long before the battery needs to be replaced- and it looks like you can't replace the battery so that's a whole new unit.

I have an older AGM style battery jump pack. It's bigger, heavier, less convenient etc. But it will hold more 50% more total power, make more of it available at freezing temperatures, cost roughly the same to buy, and I can replace the internal battery (every 4-5 years) for about $30. And all without the lithium fire risk.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
You guys. A couple of Teslas burn to the ground and a few new Boeing planes have to make emergency landings and you worry about Li batteries. Just what about that phone in your pocket??????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts