Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what kind of battery does Hyundai ship as OEM parts when we first buy the car. Mine's 2017 Elantra value edition. It has 640 CCA (cold cranking amps) with 100 minutes of RC (Reserve capacity). But when I search for replacement battery, every website out there suggests battery with 760 CCA and 120 RC. I bought mine used, and I'm unsure if the dealer sold me the car with wrong battery. Also, if someone has recently changed the battery, can you please suggest a good brand and the price? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,554 Posts
Not every battery in the same group size will have the same CCA or RC.
Champion has three different batteries for Honda CRV,
Group size 51R. for their regular battery 30 month warranty 425 CCA
For 36 month warranty, 500 CCA
For AGM 48 month warranty, 435 CCA
So not unusual for same size battery to have different CCA or RC.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Cold cranking amperes was done by idiot marketing personnel, they like big numbers just like audio people like. And you sure don't see anybody placing a battery in a deep freezer at 0*F for at least six hours until that battery reaches that temperature.

Before marketing became popular, ampere hours was the standard measurement of the electrical size of the battery.

Elantra uses a 60 AH battery, Another good spec is reserve capacity, if your battery will last 80 minutes after your alternator quit.

You can drive a vehicle with a dead alternator, but not with a missing or dead battery.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Battery will be about 150 - 200. Costco has interstate and a pretty good warranty on it for about 160. Advance auto parts is 200 but with a coupon code RMNCC for 25% off it drops the price to about 150. If that code is no longer working just google new coupon codes for advance. I had issues with autozone batteries going dead after a year on me. I personally will not buy another. Never used a walmart. Pepboys has champion. All the batteries I named are made by johnson controls just to each stores specs on them so some are slightly better then others. If you can find it east penn and deka make good batteries along with johnson controls. I would stay away from sears one because its a mix of johnson controls and exide batteries and you dont know what you will get, and two they cant honor warranty after they go under or nearest store is 90 miles from you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, that's great information. And by the way I checked a YouTube video on Elantra and that has the exact same battery as mine. So the question of having the underpowered battery is gone. And yeah, I got a 70ah interstate battery today. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a lot of research recently after accidentally discharging my battery. My thread of what I found may help:

FYI on OEM AGM battery
View attachment 443959
That's exactly why I'm currently doing the research for, lol. I have an aftermarket remote start installed, and I recently left my car for 10 days during vacation. It deep discharged the battery and wasn't holding the charge even after running for a whole day with jump starting. Learnt a lesson though, to disconnect those when leaving car for long.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That's exactly why I'm currently doing the research for, lol. I have an aftermarket remote start installed, and I recently left my car for 10 days during vacation. It deep discharged the battery and wasn't holding the charge even after running for a whole day with jump starting. Learnt a lesson though, to disconnect those when leaving car for long.
I put it on an AGM rated 6 amp charger for about a day to get the battery fully charged. After loosing an alternator on previous car I learned an alternator is not a good charger for a dead battery. My charger said wait until 77% before trying to start the car. Been cranking and starting flawlessly, despite my mistake. I got lucky!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Darn sulfuric acid batteries invented by volta in 1799 can only take 1-3 major discharges that will lose their capacity. More like not 60 amp-hours anymore more like 30, 20, 10. No better 220 years later. Edison and Ford invested 10 million dollars in 1900 trying to come up with a safer battery, the Edison nickel-iron battery. Far safer without hydrogen fumes, plus sulfuric acid is nasty, but also much larger. Ford was concerned about fossil fume gasoline affecting the atmosphere, but went to gasoline anyway.

But the Germans sure copied it for their WW I submarines. Can't use sulfuric acid in a closed space.

Claims against battery manufacturers with acid burns forced them to get rid of the caps, but instead of calling it a capless battery, called it maintainance free. Could still purchase deep cycle recharge batteries with caps, for my motorhome, lasted over ten years. Had to top off the electrolyte with distilled water every year.

But you don't do this while the battery is being discharged or more importantly while charging, could explode and coat you with sulfuric acid.

Sure don't wan to leave your car sitting for awhile, that anti-thieve is drawing current. If below freezing, losing charge will let that battery freeze. Side will bubble out, seeing signs like this now that the battery is no longer covered under warranty. BS, defects in the construction can cause an internal discharge freezing up the battery.

And letting your car sit without a charger on it, battery will discharge on its own due to internal leakage. What you need is a pure 13.5 DC charge. not a rectified AC charger, 13.5 volts rectified AC had 20 volt peaks. One ampere output is sufficient to keep the battery fully charged and it won't freeze up.

We left a car sit at an airport for 20 days, did not disconnect the battery, was dead when we got back, anti-thief discharged it. Tested its capacity down to about 10 ampere hours, but had it covered under warranty.

With private brand batteries and a magnifying glass can learn who made it. If Johnson Controls, okay, if Exide, well ? From experience.

Personally won't buy from Walmart, their stupid marketing is using a bad joke electronic tester to determine its good with no load, but if they would even put a ten amp load on it, will drop to zero.

Even today not easy to tell the difference between a discharged battery and a defective one. Needs a darn good tester.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts