Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery gave out and needs a replacement. Everything went fine until I tried to put the bracket back on. It appears there is a second bolt mounted through the bottom of the tray. Is this normal? It seems like it would make it exceedingly difficult to replace the bracket, as I can't get to the other bolt easily. Is there a piece I lost?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
The base the battery sits on does not need removed. There should be a plastic wedge on the front at the base of the battery that holds the battery to the base. This has a 10mm hex head bolt holding it in IIRC, may be 12mm hex head. I had a hard time removing it after 8 years as it was quite rusty. Took some time to work it loose.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, what bracket are you referring to? I actually took the tray out last time I changed the battery, but only because I also replaced the ground cable which is underneath. If I recall correctly, the only thing holding the tray in is 4 bolts and one of the airbox bolts that also runs through the tray. But, Red Raspberry is correct, if you're only swapping out the battery then nothing really to remove except the +/- terminal cables and that little holding piece at the base of the battery.

Are you the original owner? If not, perhaps the previous owner installed one of those "universal" battery hold-down kits?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't remove the tray itself. I removed the piece (which is original, not a universal set) that holds the battery in place, but I can't bolt it back in because there's a second bolt in the hole coming up through the bottom. I'll take a picture of it when I get home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be my big worry. The only thing that makes me think it might not be is that I feel another hex bolt's head underneath.

I can't exactly get under my car to look at the other end though, so I might be wrong.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
That would be my big worry. The only thing that makes me think it might not be is that I feel another hex bolt's head underneath.

I can't exactly get under my car to look at the other end though, so I might be wrong.

When you get it apart, remember this is your friend...

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
BTW, the main ground is under the battery tray. It;s attached by a lug and a bolt.

They rely on the threads of the bolt to provide the main ground for the car. The lug rests on painted metal.

I took the lug and scraped some of the paint off so it got down to bare metal. Then I reattached the ground and coated it liberally with grease. After I did the car jumped to life on the first twist of the key with no hesitation at all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
pictures? I think I have replaced the battery a couple of times on mine and don't remember having any problems.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
pictures? I think I have replaced the battery a couple of times on mine and don't remember having any problems.

Heh heh...of course not! Look where you live!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts