Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 sonata with 95,500 miles, that is having a few issues today.
This morning during the morning commute my airbag & battery lights came on & the RPM & MPH gauges stopped working.
However when I got to work I turned the car on & off a few times & ran it in the parking lot & had no problems, also no problems on the way home from work. I stopped in at Advance & they tested the battery, starter & alternator; said the battery is under factory specs. It's the original battery but I haven't had any starting issues. Later on tonight I drove it, had no issues listed above but the low beam headlights did not work, all other lights did.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (mksoltes @ Jul 19 2010, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343079
I have an 03 sonata with 95,500 miles, that is having a few issues today.
This morning during the morning commute my airbag & battery lights came on & the RPM & MPH gauges stopped working.
However when I got to work I turned the car on & off a few times & ran it in the parking lot & had no problems, also no problems on the way home from work. I stopped in at Advance & they tested the battery, starter & alternator; said the battery is under factory specs. It's the original battery but I haven't had any starting issues. Later on tonight I drove it, had no issues listed above but the low beam headlights did not work, all other lights did.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Ok, 7-8yr old factory battery..... go buy a new 24F battery and move on before the old battery dies on you when least expect it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343402
Ok, 7-8yr old factory battery..... go buy a new 24F battery and move on before the old battery dies on you when least expect it...
Like on the way home from work with 20 miles to go on the single-lane highway part, next to the refinery! You'll know it when the car jolts, the tach drops to zero (even though the engine is still running) and then the speedometer drops to zero (even though you are still moving) and the power windows won't roll up even if it's 96 degrees out. Then you'll coast to a stop; jumping the battery will probably get you 5-7 miles before it goes down again. Even though the car is running on the alternator, the dead battery has just become a huge drain on the circuit. Change the battery now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the 7 year old battery comments above. No sense in tempting fate on that one. Especially if you're in a cold climate. Cause come winter, you need all the cold cranking amps you can get to turn even the littlest 4cyl engine over. However, once a car is running, the battery has little to do with how the electrical system operates. It's the alternator, or commonly referred to by techs as the generator that keeps the system charged and working properly.

You mentioned that they checked the alternator as well. What was the outcome of this test? I'm 99% positive that you've got a failing alternator, or slipping belt on your alternator pulley. If the alternator is not providing +13.5 - +14.5v across the battery terminals while the engine is running, they you're out of spec. replace alternator. (It should be around +14.0v on a new alternator but things such as temperature and car make and model) Grab a multimeter and test this for yourself to verify their results. If it's below +12v then there's no charging going on at all. If the belt is old and slipping, not properly turning the alternator pulley, replace this serpentine belt. When a car's electrical system is in a low voltage or varying voltage situation, every sensor, light and electrical component react a bit differently, (appearing to many non-technical minds as being "possessed") I would double check your fuses for those high-beams though.

1. Replace battery. no questions about that.
2. Re-Check Alternator.
3. Check wiring to and from alternator.
4. Check fueses of failing equipment just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts