Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6

The bank 1 (rear bank) exhaust manifold/catalytic converter has a temperature of about 243 degrees Fahrenheit; whereas, bank 2 (front bank) is around 180 deg F. I read these temps about 10 minutes after parking, and the car had been at operating temperature when I parked.

I realize bank 2 gets some cool air due to its placement in front of the radiator, but I don't think it accounts for such drastic temp differences. Also I'm having problems with the vehicle running lean (I included a screenshot of the current fault codes I'm getting.

Any ideas on what would make the temps so different? Could I have a blockage in the rear bank? I remember one of my cat converter manifolds had a rattle inside before I installed it. But it was brand new, so I hoped for the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think it may be due to a vacuum leak. If I listen carefully to the engine while it's running, I can discern a low-decibel whistle. I'm having quite the time finding it though, and I'm not a big fan of spraying carb cleaner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the canister purge valve and no difference.

On another note, I can hear the flapping sound best when I'm sitting in the driver seat with the window or door open. Don't hear it so well when in front of the engine.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check your intake tube. They develop cracks with age. You really have to pull it off and flex it while your looking into it. If the creases are starting to dry rot/crack I would replace. It may also be the MAF as it controls the air fuel for the both banks. Anyway to read fuel trims?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Check your intake tube. They develop cracks with age. You really have to pull it off and flex it while your looking into it. If the creases are starting to dry rot/crack I would replace. It may also be the MAF as it controls the air fuel for the both banks. Anyway to read fuel trims?
I've been going through one-by-one replacing intake vacuum hoses. My MAF sensor is brand new, but I think I can read fuel trim with the OBD Torque app. I'll grab some screenshots of that and report it back.

As an update, I've noticed that the flapping sound during acceleration only occurs when in gear (either drive or reverse). It doesn't make the sound in park or neutral, but if I rev it high the engine shudders when I let off the pedal.

Ugh, frustrating.

EDIT:

Short-term fuel trim for both banks is +12.5% (at idle and 2500 RPM)
Long-term fuel trim for both banks is +18%

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem, did you find the solution?
I think I have. I had the upper intake plenum removed the other day and took the opportunity to look down into the lower intake manifold and noticed coolant sitting around the valves. Turns out my lower intake manifold is leaking. Even though the gaskets on it are new, I was never able to reach a proper torque because the studs and nuts needed replacing.

TL;DR The problem is the lower intake manifold. The solution is to replace the studs, nuts, and gaskets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts