Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I recently purchased 2 HID kits for my 2009 Santa Fe, for my high and low beams, and I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures or advice on where to mount the ballasts? Ill have 4 ballasts so im really not sure on where to put them.

thanks,
Billy

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (Basic57 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315688
Hey there, I recently purchased 2 HID kits for my 2009 Santa Fe, for my high and low beams, and I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures or advice on where to mount the ballasts? Ill have 4 ballasts so im really not sure on where to put them.

thanks,
Billy
I think I would mount the ballasts where there is lots of air going to pass by them as they tend to get quite warm and will burn out if they get too hot.

Do a search for HID on this forum as there is lots of pages re this subject and their may even be pictures and suggestions.

Remember that all electrical components are packaged with a given amount of smoke, and when the smoke is released they tend to not work!!! LOL

·
Registered
248 Posts
Basic57,

Be careful with HIDs in the high beams as these are also the daytime running lights. This means that the voltage going to them when the headlights are off is typically less than 12 volts. Check your ballasts to see what the minimum voltage is. They usually provide full high voltage output on something less than 12 volts so this means that your DRL's will now be full brightness high beams. Oncoming drivers may not like that.

Curious what bulbs you got since my 09 had H11B's for the low beams and H7's for the high beams. This appears to be unique to Canada.

Congo

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've just done this, easiest thing I found was to remove the headlight units totally - two bolts on the top, one on the reverse then remove both screws in the wheel arches that hold the bumper. Ease the bumper away from the wing and you'll be able to slide the headlight out without marring the soft plastic bumper surround. Behind the headlights I found plenty of space to mount all the hardware and cable tie the wires well out of the way in the void of the wing. Hyundai bolts all seem to have a captive washer that for me made mounting the ballasts difficult so I cut them off with a Dremmel.

Both ballasts since failed, so for me, it has been a lot of work for nothing...whilst they did work they certainly appear brighter!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies, im going to be installing them this weekend, just curious about the low beam bulbs, they are supposed to be h11b but i got h11 because i couldnt find h11b and i read somewhere that they can be interchanged, so just ondering is there any work that needs to be done with the h11 to make it work in the 2009 santa fe?

thanks, billy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, Got my HIDs put in here some pics, still need to drill the holes in the caps that screw on to the headlight casing and clean up some wires, but besides that theyre in :)

Lows 5000k w/35w Ballast

Highs 8000k w/55w Ballast

Highs Again

Ill throw up some night time pics when I take a few

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (Basic57 @ May 24 2010, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325954
Hey, Got my HIDs put in here some pics, still need to drill the holes in the caps that screw on to the headlight casing and clean up some wires, but besides that theyre in :)

Lows 5000k w/35w Ballast

Highs 8000k w/55w Ballast

Highs Again

Ill throw up some night time pics when I take a few

Yes the 55W highs are nice to have. I am curious how long yours take to 'warm up'? If it weren't for the fact that the lows stay on when the highs are activated, I couldn't use HIDs as mine take at least 10 seconds when having been off for more than a minute.

I don't know why people like HIDs low beams. The factory ones are too bright as it is! Well, I should qualify that, I find them too bright when the high beams are on. Too much foreground light makes it hard to see in the distance even with the kick-**** 55w HIDs.

How di you find the aiming? I found that the higher output of the highs meant raising the aiming point of the lights (which correspondingly results in raising the lows) and I angled them out to the side more too.
Most noticeably however was I found with the HIDs in the high beams the overall throw was much more broad. That is to say far less focuses than OEM. I also noticed that (after buying two replacement bulbs from a different mfg too) each HID bulb is slightly different than the other. When I installed my first set, one bulb actually pointed lower than the low beam and I had to shim the collar of the bulb to adjust. The new set I purchased had the same fault but also was of a slightly different length than the first set giving the bulbs as different focal point and thus a different 'throw' of light. Did you notice this too?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 55w Highs take about 3-4 seconds to warm right up, and about 1-2 once your driving.

I didn't bother aiming them when I initially put them in, and I haven't had anyone flash me for my lights being too high, so I'm probably not going to.

So far no problems with them at all, I'm satisfied with them

Billy,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts