Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2008 AWD that has a noise coming from underneath while driving. I disconnected the drive shaft and the noise stops. I wiggle the u joint and it has rough spots. Went to buy a U joint at local NAPA store and was told they are not available and would need to buy a complete drive shaft from dealer.
My question is are u joints available elsewhere or truly not replaceable.
Thanks

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
316 Posts
rock auto has it so i bet ebay would have it. local places probably would.nt stock it. maybe a bearing place could size you up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I saw the Rock Auto one and was hoping somebody chimed in saying they changed it with no real issues. I am a little concerned they may be differences between the generations.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I think Hyundai has maybe 1 propeller shaft that can have joint changed.. and the joint was not inexpensive either.. Majority of time it boil down to propeller shaft replace,, to which I have only replaced 1 in all my years of Hyundai

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I replaced the hanger bearing and u joint on my 2006 Santa Fe with 295 k kilometres.

Very little play and no shaking yet. It had a grease fitting and I did give it a shot once a year.

Joint might have lasted life of suv, but was giving it to daughter so I changed it to avoid issues.

Dealer ordered in two different options and one of them was correct; like SBR711 said... not cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. The dealer tells me that for my 2008 AWD they do not sell Universal joints separately

1 - 7 of 7 Posts