Hyundai Forums banner

Bad Service At Dealer Is It Hyundai Or Just The Specific Dealer?

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  crayb 
#1 ·
I have some bad service experience to report at the local dealer Huffins in Plano Tx. I buy a car about every 1.5-2yrs as I come from a car culture family and have tried quite a few brands and I am familiar with the expectations at dealers good and poor but this one drops at the bottom as worst on my list.

After reading the forum and also having an HMAservice account I printed all the relevant document to have my problems addressed.

1) steering coupler recall
2) 1st service
3) push start wire harness chaffing TSB
4) Vibrations at dead pedal
5) Rear dome lamps stick TSB
6) glovebox rattle
7) I get a buzz out of the right speaker when phone rings or people speak
8) Asked to check instrument hood as it creeks, I usually push on it a bit to make it stop

The response from the dealer service went like this.

Item 1) Correct steering couple recall performed
Item 2) 1st service done but they didn't rotate my tires and I came out the next day to an small oil spill in my driveway. I looked under the car and splash shield and other parts underneath had a coating of oil and dirt. Looks like lazy mechanic just pulled the oil filter off and let it spill in the undershield when changing it.
All other concerns I was told to bring the car back again on another visit.

I took a moment to ponder this dealers practices and came to the conclusion they needed a little assistance and I was going to do all I can to assist them in servicing my vehicle.

2nd visit:

Item 2) after 2days in the shop the tire rotation is done

Item 3) I brought the TSB print out for the push start hardness. I was told that the TSB was to service the vehicle after the failure took place. I advised it was preventative in reference not just repair and that procedure also called for inspection. They advised it was for cars after my build date and pointed to the date of the TSB. I told them they don't even know my build date and didn't look it up and couldn't possibly remember after a week since my last visit and in fact my build date is dated the month of the TSB. They advised the TSB was for the "make-ready-department" that preps the cars for sale and not towards the servicing of the vehicle. I would need to have a problem before they can perform the TSB. So my understanding is they prefer to fix a short or possible fire then to bill the warranty for a preventative check.

Item 4) I brought the TSB for the previous model year regarding the missing plugs for the tie-downs during transport causing the vibration in the dead pedal. I was advised the same as above. Part of make-ready and nothing for service to handle. Also claimed tech doesn't see the issue.

Item 5) after 2days they fixed the dome lamps

Item 6) They claim they can't hear the glove box rattle

Item 7) They claim nothing wrong with the speakers

Item 8) dash creek nothing done about this.

I was called 2days after the car was in the shop that the tire rotation and dome lamp fix was done and as mentioned above no other issues can be seen at this time and to come down and do a road test. I must mention at this point they did not give me a loaner stating that they only have 3 cars and they have 2 cars down with engine repairs and the other car out on loan. They told me unless I have extended warranty coverage they will not pay for a rental car loaner for me.

I traveled down to the shop after about 40min of waiting the service guy was not to be found so I asked for the mechanic working on my car. We went out to my car and I expressed my concerns.

Item2) Said ok to oil under the car and that if it were double gasketed on the oil filter I would know and that its residue from the oil change only.

Item 4) The vibration was caused by the plugs and after looking at 5 cars on their lot all the cars had the plugs installed and its standard practice to install after transport on the car carrier and that mine were missing.

Item 6) The glovebox he said he could not hear and I informed him at $50 per day for my rental I am paying I can buy felt tape and perform this myself and that I needed the car back if this was not address rather than wait.

Item 7) The speaker rattle, I called myself and he was able to hear the rattle but said the grill just snaps in and not sure what he can do about a vibration there.

Item 8) I pushed the instrument hood in front of him to a loud creek and pop I saw his eyes blink and I told him this is what I have to do when the thing creeks as I am driving. He said ok he would look at it.

Its day 4 now with no sign of my car. I've downgraded my rental and sit by the phone waiting for a reply and call back regarding my car.

Question is this normal Hyundai service? I am ready to leave the brand after trying it for the first time and have viewed a few cars I am ready to sell and start a more pleasant motoring experience.

My rental is a Camry on steel wheels so I can only assume is comparable to a GLS Sonata. I must say the car feels stronger and has more torque than the Sonata although reviews state the Sonata out performs in the drivetrain department. I would never buy a Camry or Toyota considering their recent recalls and build quality issues. I am thing real world impression might be different than spec sheet comparisons?

Please provide feedback I am curious to opinions?

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say dont use that dealer again and try another. Definantely a bad dealer.in my city we have four dealers, my friend used two of them and had bad experiencrs the other two are great. Even with toyota and honda you will have some bad dealers and good dealers.

some dealers just wont perform a tsb unless there is a issue. I wouldnt want them going in and performing any tsb that I havent experienced either, higher chance of them messing something up to cause a problem. Ie I dont have the glove box rattle and would not want them performing that tsb till I get a rattle.

#3 ·
You can have my GREAT Toyota then and Ill take your "crappy" Hyundai.

My 2007 Toyota Rav has had:
  • A bunch of squeaks in the dash
  • drivers side mirror rattles
  • drivers window rattles
  • steering clunk that Toyota will NOT recognize therefore will not issue a fix.

Service bay is about clueless so if I have to have Toyota service it I make sure its in the bay by the window so I can watch them work on it.

Its dealership experience. You should find another.

#4 ·
lex,

Probably because I'm an old curmudgeon but I'd have a polite but extremely firm buttburner letter in the mail to as many Hyundai USA key personnel as I could locate names/addresses for. I'm sure Hyundai would also view the treatment you've received as beyond the pale.

#5 ·
I will give my opinion and it is just that, an opinion. There are some good Hyundai dealers and they have usually been good for awhile. The stereotype of the good dealers is they tend to sell to older buyers and are interested in repeat business and revenue from the service department. There are some very bad Hyundai dealers and they have usually been bad for a while. They tend to sell to younger buyers and are worried about new sales volume and high total selling profit from things like financing and extended warranties. They don't mind pissing off a potential repeat buyer because they are more interested in a big profit on a sale today instead of ongoing profits from a repeat buyer. They also look at service as an irritation unless it has a high net profit service like say $450 for a 12 month servicing. I must say that I find some fault on both sides from reading your post. I will summarize them like this. There is no excuse for them not to install plugs in the shipping slots. Likewise, I question the wisdom of continuing to rent a car instead of picking yours up when it appears they do not intend to fix all of the things you want fixed. Because most Hyundai dealer reputations have not changed much, internet reviews over the last few years can be very valuable. I would try to find another dealer that provides the service you want. If you can't, then I would find another car brand.

#6 ·
KFP I agree with your statements. I called the dealer again and was informed the Tsb for the plugs do not apply even though I mentioned all the vehicles in the predelivery area behind the shop had them installed and mine did not. As it stands I received the tire rotation and dome light fix only. They wish for me to return yet again and discuss with the service rep and mechanic tomorrow the rest of my issues. At this point and the cost of rental I could have purchased 100 sets of plugs and taken the car to a stereo shop to fix the other concerns. I beleive they've positioned themselves to appear responsive however I sense no apparent will or action for correction. Like a used car salesmen would say "thats not a dent that character" . I am picking up the car and trying the next closest dealer and will schedule only when a loaner is available.

I hope my story serve to help someone else on the board in the future...

#7 ·
QUOTE (lexluther @ Oct 29 2010, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367371
KFP I agree with your statements. I called the dealer again and was informed the Tsb for the plugs do not apply even though I mentioned all the vehicles in the predelivery area behind the shop had them installed and mine did not. As it stands I received the tire rotation and dome light fix only. They wish for me to return yet again and discuss with the service rep and mechanic tomorrow the rest of my issues. At this point and the cost of rental I could have purchased 100 sets of plugs and taken the car to a stereo shop to fix the other concerns. I beleive they've positioned themselves to appear responsive however I sense no apparent will or action for correction. Like a used car salesmen would say "thats not a dent that character" . I am picking up the car and trying the next closest dealer and will schedule only when a loaner is available.

I hope my story serve to help someone else on the board in the future...
Sorry to hear about your crappy service. We had service done at a Huffines Dodge facility in Lewisville, and they were very good. It sure does appear that their Hyundai facility is not in the same league.

#8 ·
If it's not too far away you might want to try Freeman Hyundai over on 183 and Loop 12. I've been there 3 times now, twice for routine stuff and once for an alignment and balance issue. Their service department SEEMS to be professional and willing to help. Also, the salesmen commented on how good their service department was (might take that one with a grain of salt).

I hope you get a resolution to your problems instead of getting rid of your Sonata.

#9 ·
QUOTE (lexluther @ Oct 29 2010, 02:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367326
After reading the forum and also having an HMAservice account I printed all the relevant document to have my problems addressed.

1) steering coupler recall
2) 1st service
3) push start wire harness chaffing TSB
4) Vibrations at dead pedal
5) Rear dome lamps stick TSB
6) glovebox rattle
7) I get a buzz out of the right speaker when phone rings or people speak
8) Asked to check instrument hood as it creeks, I usually push on it a bit to make it stop

The response from the dealer service went like this.

Item 1) Correct steering couple recall performed

Item 2) 1st service done but they didn't rotate my tires and I came out the next day to an small oil spill in my driveway. I looked under the car and splash shield and other parts underneath had a coating of oil and dirt. Looks like lazy mechanic just pulled the oil filter off and let it spill in the undershield when changing it.
By design (stupid filter open is up top), when filter loosened, oil pours out of the joint and run down filter body ad get all over.. we usually tuck a rag on top of the panel to try to catch the spill.. that and hole is kinda small for average size hand to get up in and grab filter, besides being hot.

I took a moment to ponder this dealers practices and came to the conclusion they needed a little assistance and I was going to do all I can to assist them in servicing my vehicle.
Be kinda nice if DING DONG advisor would walk over and sit in car with you as you pointed out exactly where the problem area is, or bothered to go for ride and listen so he could go with tech then and say This here is what he looking for"... then for this job he is looking at this item"... overall pure laziness.. I get same crap at my dealer.. One dealer I worked at, Mgr took active part in the write up,,, you walk up and say you have noise/noises. he was ready to go for ride to verify before you got your ticket wrote up... his techs did not go out looking for noises, he would verify your concern, then got active and demo'd it for us.

2nd visit:

Item 2) after 2 days in the shop the tire rotation is done

Item 3) I brought the TSB print out for the push start hardness.
Got a number ? Is yours acting up ?

I was told that the TSB was to service the vehicle after the failure took place. I advised it was preventative in reference not just repair and that procedure also called for inspection. They advised it was for cars after my build date and pointed to the date of the TSB. I told them they don't even know my build date and didn't look it up and couldn't possibly remember after a week since my last visit and in fact my build date is dated the month of the TSB.

They advised the TSB was for the "make-ready-department" that preps the cars for sale and not towards the servicing of the vehicle.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,, WRONG ANSWER !! TSB are service dept tools to aid in the repair of known problems correctly the first time and how to claim the labor and what Hyundai will pay dealer for the work.

I would need to have a problem before they can perform the TSB.
By Hyundai USA rules of engagement,, yes

So my understanding is they prefer to fix a short or possible fire then to bill the warranty for a preventative check.

Item 4) I brought the TSB for the previous model year regarding the missing plugs for the tie-downs during transport causing the vibration in the dead pedal. I was advised the same as above. Part of make-ready and nothing for service to handle. Also claimed tech doesn't see the issue.
OH BOY... the rubber plugs is in bag in the glove box when the carrier delivers vehicle... PDI person is SUPPOSED TO INSTALL THE PLUGS... look at your PDI sheet that you should have received when you took delivery of the car.. there is section with box to be marked that they installed the tie down plugs... Make them order a set and install them.

Item 5) after 2days they fixed the dome lamps

Item 6) They claim they can't hear the glove box rattle
Do the TSB and be done with it, they'll get paid

Item 7) They claim nothing wrong with the speakers
Speakers work, noise caused by interference

Item 8) dash creak nothing done about this.
Tell them to do something to satisfy the complaint on the ticket

I traveled down to the shop after about 40min of waiting the service guy was not to be found so I asked for the mechanic working on my car. We went out to my car and I expressed my concerns.

Item2) Said ok to oil under the car and that if it were double gasketed on the oil filter I would know and that its residue from the oil change only.
SLOPPY
Item 4) The vibration was caused by the plugs and after looking at 5 cars on their lot all the cars had the plugs installed and its standard practice to install after transport on the car carrier and that mine were missing.
See above coment, they lied on the PDI sheet...

Item 6) The glovebox he said he could not hear and I informed him at $50 per day for my rental I am paying I can buy felt tape and perform this myself and that I needed the car back if this was not address rather than wait.
TSB, 2 minute repair, although kinda cheezie how Hyundai says to do it

Item 7) The speaker rattle, I called myself and he was able to hear the rattle but said the grill just snaps in and not sure what he can do about a vibration there.
Squeek and rattle kit (red box full of foam & tape)

Item 8) I pushed the instrument hood in front of him to a loud creek and pop I saw his eyes blink and I told him this is what I have to do when the thing creeks as I am driving. He said ok he would look at it.
Squeek and rattle kit (red box of foam & tape strips)

Question is this normal Hyundai service? I am ready to leave the brand after trying it for the first time and have viewed a few cars I am ready to sell and start a more pleasant motoring experience.

Please provide feedback I am curious to opinions?

Thank you!

Try not to draw out your in so much repetitive form, hard to place comments...

#11 ·
QUOTE (Bald1 @ Oct 29 2010, 03:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367347
... I'd have a polite but extremely firm buttburner letter in the mail to as many Hyundai USA key personnel as I could locate names/addresses for. I'm sure Hyundai would also view the treatment you've received as beyond the pale.
if going to all that trouble makes you feel better, I'd say go ahead & do it.
But you should know that all those letters end up in one department: their consumer affairs dept. And good luck with that!!
Customer assurance dept is only there to act as a sort of buffer between dealers and upset customers. Their loyalties lie with their dealers, not with individual consumers. They go through the motions but ultimately send you back to deal with the "offending" dealer.

It all comes down to percentages and how many dissatisfied owners they have compared to total satisfied customers. Currently Hyundai has a very high ratio of satisfied customers so they are not too worried about the odd complaints here and there. When things are going well, businesses tend to just keep doing what they're doing.

Unfortunately there is still such a thing as a "lemon" in the car mfg industry. If you get one, cut your losses and move on to a different car. Once you get a sour taste in your mouth about your car & the company & the dealer, it's hard to get rid of it, even if all the problems get fixed. Like a bad marriage, my advice is to get out early. Life is too short.

#12 ·
Dealer was Huffines in Plano.

Car sat there for 4 days when I went there the paperwork was at the cashier it appears they were just dragging their feet and had no intentions on making repairs if they already checked out to the paperwork back to the cashier and she had the keys in the envelope. They figured my rental car would rack up and I would pick my car up eventually. I was hoping for them to at least be one sided either yes or no and not leave me hanging in the middle.

Paperwork looks like they just wanted to get paid. Said they did the glove box rattle by mine still rattles and no felt is visible. I had excess material in the passengers seat and the seat would squeak they said they repaired it and charged warranty but it looks the same as before with excess material like a bulge in the seat bottle and still squeaks.

I did get the sticky dome lamps repaired out of all this I guess it was easy enough to get paid and do the repair.

Dealer is out to make money and doesn't car about the brand or the customers. Charged warranty but didn't do the labor and car just sat there with no courtesy to me to notify me just BS. I will never return to them or any Huffines. Planning on trading for a turbo as I see there are acceptable trades being made I am also searching for a new Jeep Cherokee will be about 50k and I will make sure none of it will never touch Huffines hands or anyone associated with them. I am more than a walking check I am a person and if I am not treated as such then I will just walk to a business that has integrity.

As some have notes there are dealers that just want the quick buck and high turnover and other more reputable dealers that are in it for longhaul and their name means something. I will deal with the latter...

#13 ·
There are good and bad Hyundai dealerships. Many of the older Hyundai d-ships are catching up to the upscale vehicles they are now manufacturing. The dealership I bought my SE from looked HORRIBLE. No offices, just collapsible tables out in the open area usually reserved for cars in the showroom. This dealer is located 2.5 hours from my home so I haven't used them for service, only purchased from them b/c they had the exact car I wanted. Will know this weekend as my XM radio has to be replaced.

I would have a hard time buying a Genesis or Equus from some of these dealers. Guess that's why Equus buyers never have to go to the dealership!!

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.