Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking for advise on how to go about a bad rear wheel bearing on a vc 2008 limited... Is this a dealer job? Or any mechanic will do? Dealer quoted $700+, is this a fair price?
Thanks for your help

·
22,793 Posts
IMO, NO! I'd call around and get some estimates. Maybe the dealer has you down for a complete brake service, or some other service, as part of this quote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last month had 2 bad rear wheel bearings replaced on my 2007 VC for $950 at independent garage. Yesterday dealer advised me that they'd be covered under the power train warranty and to contact corporate to file a claim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After market price for a premium Hub assembly is $130. So 2 hours and that's being generous for each side at $100 an hour. So $475 for each side is really steep. They must have marked up the price of the part big time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont forget that your back rotors incorporate the E-brake which are little drums inside the rotor.

I had to replace my left side and, of course when they removed the drums, my ebrake shoes fell apart, 350 $ job turned into a 975$ job.

Ouch !!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
LOL

I just did that last year 350 up to 900$ (Bearing, then brakes for rears), now I have both Bearings gone AGAIN!!!!!!! Grrrrr :-(

I will try this myself this time. Anybody else have issues with Alignment, and now it seems to go through wheel bearings, dammit!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2WD is easier than 4WD.. either way, brake parts to deal with, and then getting hub assembly seperated from spindle after removal of the 4 bolt.

ABS sensors (4wd) is posted at $158 each, and 2.1hr labor.. then you have to hope the suspension parts aint rusted,, I had to take 1 apart till I was able to move carrier enough to get axle out to be able to swap speed sensor ring.

Reactions: flyboy480

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on my VC Wheel bearings change

They come off real easy, (Maybe its because I had the E-Brakes done with that one bearing about 1.5 yrs ago)
You don't have to touch the e-brake shoes and springs, now looking for a torque on the axle nuts.
Anybody have a rough idea ? best I could find online is 202 Ft/Lbs

The breakdown
1- remove wheel
2- Remove caliper
3- Remove caliper support braket
4- Undo Axle nut (if you don't have a impact gun, do it before you remove the wheel through the centre cap removed)
5- 4 bolts from the rear and your bearing hub pops off.
6- Installation is exact reverse.
7- Torque for Axle nut ????

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update on my VC Wheel bearings change

They come off real easy, (Maybe its because I had the E-Brakes done with that one bearing about 1.5 yrs ago)
You don't have to touch the e-brake shoes and springs, now looking for a torque on the axle nuts.
Anybody have a rough idea ? best I could find online is 202 Ft/Lbs

The breakdown
1- remove wheel
2- Remove caliper
3- Remove caliper support braket
4- Undo Axle nut (if you don't have a impact gun, do it before you remove the wheel through the centre cap removed)
5- 4 bolts from the rear and your bearing hub pops off. <-- Ha Yeah right!
6- Installation is exact reverse.
7- Torque for Axle nut ????
5- 4 bolts from the rear and your bearing hub pops off. <-- Ha Yeah right!

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine came apart easy enough using the holes for jack screws to get drum off. I left the abs sensor where it was because the new one did not come with one (hope that was right. my question is do i leave the black plastic ring on the bearing or remove it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts