Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the process of installing my throttle body spacer, I removed the upper radiator hose for better access and visibility. When I put it back on, I didn't get the clamp in the right place, Drove the car 40 miles to work and noticed the steam in the rear view mirror when I got on the interstate. Looked down and saw the temperature gauge pegged and the temp light on. Pulled off at the next exit and got to a parking lot. Then the CEL came on and the temp gauge disappeared. Coolant everywhere. Got it towed to the dealer. Was nearly empty of coolant. THey found no coolant in the oil thankfully, and after the codes were cleared and new coolant added they don't see any immediate damage. I changed the oil when I got home, and it has been running great since then. The only thing I see different is I have lost a couple of MPG as compared to normal.

WHat are the odds that I have shot my motor and warranty? How long does it take for potential damage caused by this to show up

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think you'll be ok, just watch it over the next few days and make sure you don't have any air bubbles in the system. I did this to my Eclipse due to a bad thermostat and the radiator literally exploded. No damage done to the motor though.

Why are you installing a throttle body spacer? Those do nothing for performance and are only good for a pressure reference port or meth injection port.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's hard to guess the extent of damage. About 9 years ago I forgot to turn on the electric fans on my Cutlass and while climbing a steep hill at low speed (at a campsite) I noticed the temp gauge wrapped back around past 260. It didn't boil over and I immediately turned on the fans and heater full blast, popped the hood and let it idle for half an hour until it cooled down. Changed the oil the next day. Within the next few months I had to replace the heater core, and thermostat, then the rad started leaking a couple years after that. They were newer parts and possibly damaged from the heat but maybe just coincidence. 9 years later the intake manifold gasket failed (aluminum edelbrock intake I installed when we put the car together). But the engine has yet to show any signs of wearing out at all.

Losing your coolant makes your odds a little worse, plus these engines are known for having rod bearing failures for reasons not completely known yet. But you still could be fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
WHat are the odds that I have shot my motor and warranty? How long does it take for potential damage caused by this to show up

I doubt they would warranty the coolant system nor engine, at least a large portion of the engine. In the event of such a failure, I would have towed it home privately, and done the work myself. If a problem arose, I would then take it to the dealer. I don't know that I would be forthcoming either.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I lost an Eclipse to the same thing
I would have if the motor was stock. It had forged rods, pistons, crank and probably what saved it was the cometic gasket and the arp head studs that were torqued to 90ft lbs. There's no way it could warp or separate the way those headstuds are torqued down.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
So in the process of installing my throttle body spacer, I removed the upper radiator hose for better access and visibility. When I put it back on, I didn't get the clamp in the right place, Drove the car 40 miles to work and noticed the steam in the rear view mirror when I got on the interstate. Looked down and saw the temperature gauge pegged and the temp light on. Pulled off at the next exit and got to a parking lot. Then the CEL came on and the temp gauge disappeared. Coolant everywhere. Got it towed to the dealer. Was nearly empty of coolant. THey found no coolant in the oil thankfully, and after the codes were cleared and new coolant added they don't see any immediate damage. I changed the oil when I got home, and it has been running great since then. The only thing I see different is I have lost a couple of MPG as compared to normal.

Headgasket problems in these cars are few and far between.

Keep an eye on the temp gage when driving and pay ateention if it climbs too high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts