Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after getting an oil change and replacing the air filter I got a check engine light. Went to a shop and diagnostic machine says one of the o2 sensors is bad but the codes will not tell which one. Some $300 for both from the shop. Under $100 online(non oem). Are these easy to get to, any idea if it would be the top one since the air filter was changed then this problem arose? I figure just try to clean it off before buying a new one.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Your still in the 5/60 warranty right?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
warranty for emissions is 8yr/80k. the dealer gotta fix it. and beware, an o2 code generally means that something killed the sensor, they dont just die. for instance, if you got misfire, that can kill the sensor. a stuck/leaky injector can kill it. the dtc means something in that CIRCUIT is outta whack. if you dont fix what killed the sensor, the new one is gonna die, too

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
warranty for emissions is 8yr/80k. the dealer gotta fix it. and beware, an o2 code generally means that something killed the sensor, they dont just die. for instance, if you got misfire, that can kill the sensor. a stuck/leaky injector can kill it. the dtc means something in that CIRCUIT is outta whack. if you dont fix what killed the sensor, the new one is gonna die, too
Saying that an electronic sensor can't just fail on its own is simply ludicrous. Sometimes things just go bad...there's no need to freak this guy out.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,095 Posts
A mechanic saying he can't identify which sensor is faulty us also ludicrous. You have to wonder how he knows any of the two are faulty if that's the case.
I definitely wouldn't be giving him $300 based on his best guess.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
What was the code, just out of curiosity? These cars have a tendency to throw a false P2096 for which there is a Technical Service Bulletin available at any Hyundai dealer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Be careful where you take your car to have maintenance done. My sister went to a place to get her oil changed and soon right after her check engine light went on. My dad took look at it and it looks like they unplugged something. My dad scanned a code and it was for O2 sensor too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my manual. warranty for emissions 8yr/80k, It is just for major emission components only , like catalylic converter, engine control module and onboard emission diagnostic device.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not sure where the OP is from, but PZEV Elantras registered in PZEV states will have a 15 year 150k mile warranty on the O2 sensor vs 8/80k or 7/70k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking at this p2096 youtube video (comes up in google search, I can't post links yet) I tried messing with the air filter they replaced. The cover was sealed fine but I resealed it and moved the filter around a bit. Now it is normal, no check engine light and normal mpg reading. I wonder if other things got unplugged something causing outside unfiltered air to enter the engine. Problem solved for now, I hope it was just that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts