Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched first but couldn't find anything similar.

When slowing down or accelerating after braking (5-10mph) I am hearing this god awful noise.

It's almost like a grinding noise. It is only coming from the rear.

I will be bringing it in soon but does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

2009 Sonata Limited 2.4 with 88k miles.

·
22,793 Posts
Parking brake cable frozen and engaging the rear brake shoes/discs?? I hope it's as simple as that. Good whack with a hammer might loosen it if that is indeed the problem. Good idea having the pro's take a gander at it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I searched first but couldn't find anything similar.

When slowing down or accelerating after braking (5-10mph) I am hearing this god awful noise.

It's almost like a grinding noise. It is only coming from the rear.

I will be bringing it in soon but does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

2009 Sonata Limited 2.4 with 88k miles.
Umm, could be break pad warning (pads have a metal tung that contacts the rotor when pads get thin). Have yours pads looked at.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great replies. Thank you...So fast haha

Both sound like possibilites. However it has been abnormally cold here lately. Ill mention the cable when I bring it in.

Thanks again

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked your e-brake? Maybe it's slightly up....just a possibility
I will check after work...

I would feel so dumb, but would kind of be great if that was the issue.

I think there is an ebrake in the dash no?

I didnt notice anything there but I will still check it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Local jiffy lube. Needed an oil change anyway.

They said I need new brakes, new rotors (which I'm skeptical about, shouldn't the noise I'm hearing be a pad warning? Or does my car made in 2009 not have a pad warning? SMH) and a new caliper.

They wanted $450 and I said no thanks. Considering they are marking up parts.

Will take it to real shop Monday.

I doubt any of this would be covered under warranty :/

·
22,793 Posts
Local jiffy lube. Needed an oil change anyway.

They said I need new brakes, new rotors (which I'm skeptical about, shouldn't the noise I'm hearing be a pad warning? Or does my car made in 2009 not have a pad warning? SMH) and a new caliper.

They wanted $450 and I said no thanks. Considering they are marking up parts.

Will take it to real shop Monday.

I doubt any of this would be covered under warranty :/
Slow day at the local Jiffy Lube, huh? Rent on the building is due and you're being asked to contribute to the costs of doing business? ;) Sounds like a second opinion may be the order of the day. Especially when they throw out estimates in this dollar range. And, sadly, warranty doesn't cover normal wear and tear of items like brakes and rotors. Consider calling some friends you trust and solicit their idea for trustworthy referrals. Not saying Jiffy Lube isn't trustworthy and above board. But I'd like to be as sure as possible before shelling out any amount that would have me awake at all hours in the night wondering. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had same brake noise 500km yes...2 months after leaving the lot..dealer won't want to cover under warranty because it wearable item..I end up fixed it up myself....Hyundai rusty calipers. My third sets of rotors/pads at 52k km..
The rails underneath the stainless brackets..rusted so bad (swelled)..it seize the pads to move..even after I sand them down in each brake job.
I guess annually, Clean the rust out when I take snow tires out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had same brake noise 500km yes...2 months after leaving the lot..dealer won't want to cover under warranty because it wearable item..I end up fixed it up myself....Hyundai rusty calipers. My third sets of rotors/pads at 52k km..
The rails underneath the stainless brackets..rusted so bad (swelled)..it seize the pads to move..even after I sand them down in each brake job.
I guess annually, Clean the rust out when I take snow tires out.
Same thing on our 2008 NF. Next time may have to get new calipers. Calipers on the YF are now aluminum instead of the cast iron on the NFs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts