Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 GL (canadian version) and I do have a bad gas milleage too. I'm doing like 9L/100km in town and about 6.5L/100km highway, Got it checked since my first 8000kms(5000miles about that) and they never found anything. My car was actually good on gas for the first 4-5000kms maximum and it just from good to worst-worst-worst. I got it updated, and still getting problem, I just don't know what to do, I still like the car it's still confortable and all that, but my wallet is being affected really bad by that.. When I first got the car, I was doing about 150km for 10$ worth of gas (1.35$CAN per liter) that was about 5.1L/100km with about 75% Highway 25% town driving .. and in town itself I was making about 7.0L-7.5L/100kms depending the traffic, and that with A/C on .. Oh well. lol

On top of that when it's hot outside or just the fact that the car is hot it smell really hard, brought it about 5-10 times to the dealership, they never found the issue aswell as my gas milleage.. It suck ! lol

The last few tank of gas I did, I was averaging 330-380kms a tank doing about 75% city 25% highway that's with lightfoot, and A/C off .. They even updated all my system, it's still doing it.

OH WELLL. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
New here and to Hyundai's, but I do know that coolant smells are bad. Usually it means a leak somewhere in the heating system. (At least in car's I have driven in the past). Too new to this car to be of any help as far as gas mileage. Especially if the dealer has looked at it a few times. Otherwise, I would say to check the usual suspects. Air filter, spark plugs or injectors. Maybe even a sensor and/or catalytic converter that is thinking you are running lean and telling the system to pump more fuel.

Again, guesses based on previous driving experiences with other brands.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I have a 2012 GL (canadian version) and I do have a bad gas milleage too.
Get down to Moncton, where they have 100% gasoline(ethanol-free) in 87 octane. Other New Brunswick stations have 100% gasoline, but most often in higher octanes only. Moncton may be too distant for you, but try to test 100% gasoline well. It should give 5% to 8% (more?) better mileage. Your engine should run smoother, quieter & with a bit extra low rpm torque.

Try nearby airports or marinas to find 100% gasoline that may NOT be marked on the website pure-gas.org. The fuel sources may be behind buildings or on fuel docks, where you have to take canisters to fill with their 100% gasoline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moncton is where I live right now :p ... and i've tried many times some plus gasoline or premium, still same thing.. My maintenance is always done at rallye motors .. as per hyundai canada theses cars are designed for normal gasoline and using higher octane will not get any better and I tested it . and coolant smell is still strong after a lot of attempt at the dealership to get it fixed and tested.. they always say the same thing .... we can't find anything .. yeah right -_- and now i think I have a wheels bearing who's gone... 45 000 km and plenty of things -.-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Find another shop. Now. If you smell coolant, you have a leak somewhere. If your car is a 2012 and has issues like these, its time to talk to someone. I had a BMW with almost 21 years and 400k miles before it needed bearings done.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Did the dealer do a pressure test on the cooling system? If you have any sort of coolant leak, a pressure test will either confirm it or eliminate the possibility.

Sometimes you can get mold and mildew built up in the A/C plumbing because it's always wet with condensation. That can smell a bit like coolant. It's not an uncommon mistake.

On the fuel economy.... I have an automatic. I drive 80% Hwy 20% city.. I normally get around 6.5 L/100km (35 US MPG). That's hand calculated and not taken from the dash display.

FWIW, hand calculating is the only real way to get meaningful fuel economy comparisons rather than discussing 'cost to fill' or how far you get on a tank. I never let my fuel go below 1/4 tank.. Because of that, my results will always be different than a person who fills up when there is only 1 bar left on the gauge).

·
Registered
940 Posts
On top of that when it's hot outside or just the fact that the car is hot it smell really hard,
I smell coolant often after I drive, and park the car in the garage. I've attributed it to the expansion/overflow tank venting the odor of coolant. And, perhaps that the factory coolant smells stronger than what we might buy off the shelf.

I'm not running low. So, I'm not worried its a leak. I'll pay more attention to it now that it might be considered unusual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Concerning the leak there's none my coolant level is all good and everything is dry... but for the gas milleage, I did a trip.. 290kms of 100% highway .... it took me half a tank and 2 bars.... I almost cryed. I calculated by hands.. it gave me an AVG of about 9.5L to 100km .. about 26-27MPG Can .. that's really bad.. on monday I might go and tell them some stuff about that.. I might request that they replace the entire car at no extra cost.. I won't even mind if there's a bit more milleage on the other one.. as long that I can be worry free I'll be happy

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There's definitely something wrong with that mileage... For me, it depends a lot if there's a headwind or tailwind, but with 100% highway driving, I usually get between 6.4 and 5.8 L/100 km (36 to 40 Mpg)...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my car is a lemon, that's what I can tell about it lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Concerning the leak there's none my coolant level is all good and everything is dry... but for the gas milleage, I did a trip.. 290kms of 100% highway .... it took me half a tank and 2 bars.... I almost cryed. I calculated by hands.. it gave me an AVG of about 9.5L to 100km .. about 26-27MPG Can .. that's really bad.. on monday I might go and tell them some stuff about that.. I might request that they replace the entire car at no extra cost.. I won't even mind if there's a bit more milleage on the other one.. as long that I can be worry free I'll be happy
yeah, thats about 10mpg less than I get when I do strictly highway. I get about 30.5 with a mix of highway and city. Definitely something wrong.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Coolant odor [SOLVED]

I posted the following reply Oct 9, 2013 after I had my 2013 Accent for 1 year (purchased Aug. 2012):

I smell coolant often after I drive, and park the car in the garage. I've attributed it to the expansion/overflow tank venting the odor of coolant. And, perhaps that the factory coolant smells stronger than what we might buy off the shelf.

I'm not running low. So, I'm not worried its a leak. I'll pay more attention to it now that it might be considered unusual.
I changed my coolant last week. My '13 Accent only has 12.5k miles. I don't drive it much. But, it's been 7.5 years since I bought it. I felt like it was a small investment to flush/fill.

The reason that 5-year old post came to mind: 1) My overflow reservoir was empty. 2) my radiator cap was almost impossible to remove. And, 3) the coolant level inside the radiator was about 1/2" low.

That caused me to remember how I used to smell coolant. (And, how I haven't for the past couple years.). My theory:

1. My radiator cap gasket had *sealed* to the flange many years ago. That wouldn't let the pressure escape into the reservoir. I think it escaped out a path of less resistance: hose clamps. I believe that's what I was smelling.

2. But, the intake side of the cap wasn't sealed. So, when the engine cooled, it would replenish itself from the reservoir.

3. Until the reservoir was depleted. At which point it sucked air, creating enough air in the radiator for the hot coolant to expand into -- reducing the need to force its way out of paths of least resistance: clamps, I suppose.).

I don't think I ever checked my coolant in 7.5 years. I change the oil every 6 months (1.5k miles). Rotate the tires, top off the battery. But, I never thought about the coolant because it's essentially a closed system. I recall looking at the reservoir a few times. But, I don't recall ever removing the radiator cap.

So, I wanted to revive my above comment in case anyone ever smells coolant. Remove your radiator cap. Make sure it's not sealed and preventing expansion into the reservoir. (I seriously thought I was going to break my cap trying to remove it last week. It was that stuck. It's probably a bad idea to not check the coolant level too.).

·
Registered
423 Posts
...........So, I wanted to revive my above comment in case anyone ever smells coolant. Remove your radiator cap. Make sure it's not sealed and preventing expansion into the reservoir. (I seriously thought I was going to break my cap trying to remove it last week. It was that stuck. It's probably a bad idea to not check the coolant level too.).
Great info and you theory is filled with good logic. Something I’ve never considered.

Thanks for taking time to share! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts