Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is my first time posting to a forum but hopefully I can get some answers. A few weeks ago my wife bought a sonata with the 2.4 liter engine, they owner said the timing belt had been done but didn't have any record of it so for my own comfort i was going to do it on my next pay check... but the belt broke my next paycheck came around. Long story short I tore the head off to inspect the damages and this is what I have discovered: Cylinder number 1 hit a valve pretty hard and gouged the piston a little bit. Virtually all of the exhaust valves are not seating properly, and two of the intake valves are not seated. The color of the valves look normal in cylinders 1-3 but cylinder number four the exhaust valves are caked in some kind of white deposit also the spark plug in that cylinder had a very burnt electrode. So here are my questions.

1. Is the piston that received the gouge safe to remain in the car or will it crack and explode on me?

2. Is there a chance that the lifters were destroyed when the valves were struck? and is there a place to get a cylinder head overhaul kit for cheap?

3. Are the caked on white deposits in cylinder four a sign of burning excessive amounts of fuel? OR is it an issue of oil getting into the cylinder?

·
Registered
622 Posts
1. The gouge in piston will probably not affect it structurally, but it might affect compression and fuel burning in that cylinder.
2. Is this an OHV or OHC? My V6 is a DOHC, so there are no 'lifters'. But your valve stems are now bended, need to be replaced.
3. White deposits are probably burned coolant. Car had issues before the belt broke, probably overheating that lead to head gasket coolant leaks and burned exhaust valve seats. Did you see any burned spots on gasket?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts