Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Very tired, stressed out med student here looking for help. And I'm not referring to school. If you read anything, please read the last paragraph (most urgent).

2017 Elantra Limited starts shaking and vibrating every time I drive it, but this only lasts a few minutes and oftentimes, the check engine light doesn't come on (if it does, it'll turn off as soon as the shaking stops.) Brought it in to a nearby mechanic while it was shaking so I could quickly get the code read: cylinder misfire/bad coils. So I waited until the shaking started again to bring it to the dealership because I still have a warranty. They fixed one coil, but not the others because of the warranty policy (fix what you see, especially if there are no codes/no check engine lights). It's shaking again, and I'm thinking it's another coil. Taking it in first thing tomorrow morning (after I convinced them today to sit in my car and feel it shaking lol).

Now here's the issue of my car battery. My car has been jumped twice and towed 3 times from a dead battery. I've had the battery replaced twice. I never leave the lights on, keep the headlights off, and unplug the USB cord just in case lol). Dealership updated the ECU and replaced the car's key reader. I've noticed I've had to replace the key fob battery 3 times in the last 6 months, with less time in between before the key completely gives out. I'm starting to think my key fob is draining my battery. I park in my apartment parking garage (more than 2 floors above and several feet away from my apartment), so I'm wondering if I should disable 1. get a new key fob 2. disable the proximity key reader in my car? The alternator is fine, so the dealership says, btw. I'm all out of ideas and I'm tired of getting ("you again??") looks from the dealership. Thanks in advance!

Registered
Do you have more than one fob? You could take the battery out of the fob overnight to test. I have read where the fob drains it's battery prematurely(a bad fob), but not seen where the fob drains the car's battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have more than one fob? You could take the battery out of the fob overnight to test. I have read where the fob drains it's battery prematurely(a bad fob), but not seen where the fob drains the car's battery.
Just one. I misplaced the other one last fall and my battery died not too long after that!

Registered
I have read somewhere of some Hyundai models turning the acessories on by themselves, also lights, and alarms. I just can't find the posts

Registered
Erratic engine operation means it working right either some of more of the time and not typical of failed components, what kind of cheap gas are you putting in this thing. Our baby only gets top tear ethanol free 91 octane fuel.

With a microamp meter, can measure the current your remote is drawing, no reason for me to test ours, Duracell batteries are lasting over two years. Not as long as other remote we had that only unlock doors, the last around ten years. These are super busy locking and unlocking the doors starting the engine. Dollar stores sell cheap made in China batteries that quickly even self discharge themselves. A good 2020 battery should read 3.3 volts, and they do get checked even before installing them.

Three of my kids, are MD's, was a struggle but doing very well now, nice to see your kids doing better than you, can get a job in any town and don't have to worry about some dingbat in Washington DC sending your job to China. One thing they know is don't put junk in your mouth, will wreck your body. Well your vehicle is pretty much the same giving it junk gas to drink.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts