Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can confirm my thoughts that I have a bad alternator on my 2001 Hyundai xg300l. I was driving and most of my lights on my dash went on, the radio turned off, and the gauges quit working (odometer dropped to nothing, fuel gauge dropped to E, etc.). I pulled into a parking lot and shut the car off. Waited about 5 minutes and tried to start the car. It would not even turn over. I got it jumped and was then able to make it home. Got it home and got the battery charged up to maybe 75% with a battery charger, and stuck a volt meter on where the leads connect to the battery terminal. It showed around 11-12 volts. I then had my son turn the AC on, then the radio, then the lights all while the volt meter was noticing the volt levels actually going down to the lower 11's. Shouldn't I be seeing readings of around 14V or so under heavy load? And since I don't, doesn't that indicate my alternator is bad? Also, if I take it to Autozone or a place like that, is that essentially the test they would do?

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 1 of 1 Posts