Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 SFS w/44k Backup camera just started to stop working, then after 3 days it died all together. Just got back from dealer, covered under warranty. Only took 40 min, they drove us to a place to have breakfast and called and said it was fixed. We were picked up in a Genesis, but no rear heated seats or cooled seats.

This Dec. 27th our 5 year warranty is up. Grandkid on the way and was looking at a 7 passanger Santa Fe. Just helped my kid get a Volvo CX60 so he had something safe to drive around. Next month his wife was expecting. Not sure if I should just keep this and take two cars when going out or a Santa Fe and one car. But they live 40 min away. So we could meet them places and go home our separate ways.

Only had this camera and the back door lock go bad.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When you get close to the warranty expiry date I would strongly recommend trading for a new unit with a 7-year warranty, you really don't want to have a vehicle with no warranty today as the cost to repair them is astronomical.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
GB is correct. Repair costs can be high. But vehicle replacement costs are also high and Hyundai models typically do not hold their resale value as well. Keep in mind that you might be able to get a wrap around Service Contract to cover the non powertrain items up to ten years for less than trading. I would think for substantially less. It really comes down to your comfort level with the expense of a new vehicle and your desires....

·
Registered
44 Posts
When you get close to the warranty expiry date I would strongly recommend trading for a new unit with a 7-year warranty, you really don't want to have a vehicle with no warranty today as the cost to repair them is astronomical.
So is the cost of a new car even with a trade. The way I look at it is the savings in car payments and insurance and licensing costs.

IMO ...

A new car will likely have better gas mileage and of course the warranty.

For me and everyone in my family, it boils down to, get the car you want when you need the car and fix them in the meantime. Also, maintain the outside (Klasse AIO) and the engine (Mobile 1)..enjoy what you chose until you don't.

On my 06'LX the only "major" charge was brakes and at for less the FBW gas pedal or a major fix everything and clean the engine tune-up at 150K ..still drives and looks like new. Plus there is nothing out there like that 3.3 V6 unless you spend $50k on a Stinger. The new Sonatas are worse in that regard. So I wait until something thrills me, or the engine goes out. Modern cars can easily get to 300K at a bit over 50% of that. Both the Stinger (on paper) and 2018 2.0 t (looks) thrilled me until I sat in them and drove them. 2.0t lagged in performance, Stinger interior was yuck and had no rear vision.

We just sold our 1992 Grand Marquis LS that is when potential repair costs outweighed the rest 26 years later.

Take a $1200 major repair = 2 or 3 mo car payments and those are rare on a less than 15yo car. I also still have a Lumia 950 for the same reasons, better and does not break.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have the Santa Fe with captains chairs, I liked this set up better than the 2nd row bench. Felt it was easier to get to the 3rd row.

What I do like about this set up, is that rear facing car seats do not cause the front passenger to feel uncomfortable in the front seat. Major reason i traded in my 4 door jeep. Just wasn't safe with a rear facing car seat in the 2nd row. You had to sit way to close to the dash. My dealer got a kick out of me testing the Santa Fe with a car seat and seeing how it felt in the front.

Overall the three row Santa Fe has been great. I have no complaints. If you are thinking of this set-up I see there are great deals on 2018's. One thing you might consider, and that is getting it with a panoramic roof. I find that if you are in the third row, you are less claustrophobic back there. I have been in other 3 row suv's and it gets claustrophobic to me after having had the panoramic sun roof. My almost 2 year old granddaughter loves when I open the cover and she can look out through the glass.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
So, only the backup camera failing after 5 years and you want to trade in over that?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, not the camera... it's hitting it's 5 years basic warranty and it only has 45K. Trade it now or wait another year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just had the backup camera assembly replaced on my 2013 SF XL. Had to wait 6 weeks for the part to come in. I had to sign the dealer invoice to Hyundai for the warranty work so I saw what the dealer was getting paid for the work; it was over $500 which I consider pretty steep considering the job probably took no more than 30 min. and cameras are everywhere now. Good thing it was still under warranty. For perspective, $500 is just one monthly payment on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
795 Posts
2014 SFS w/44k Backup camera just started to stop working, then after 3 days it died all together. Just got back from dealer, covered under warranty. Only took 40 min, they drove us to a place to have breakfast and called and said it was fixed. We were picked up in a Genesis, but no rear heated seats or cooled seats.

This Dec. 27th our 5 year warranty is up. Grandkid on the way and was looking at a 7 passanger Santa Fe. Just helped my kid get a Volvo CX60 so he had something safe to drive around. Next month his wife was expecting. Not sure if I should just keep this and take two cars when going out or a Santa Fe and one car. But they live 40 min away. So we could meet them places and go home our separate ways.

Only had this camera and the back door lock go bad.
From a financial perspective it's probably considerably cheaper to get a 5-year extended warranty. On my 2005 POS equinox, the 5-year warranty extension (got it in 2011 after the head gasket blew), it was $2200 I believe from CarChex. By then, everyone knew the 2005-2009 Equinox were POS and prone to head gasket and other issues, so if you had a reliable MY, I'm sure you could get something cheaper.

BTW, that covered wear and tear and gaskets with a $200 deductible. They even paid for strut replacements.

But you could try KBB for trade-in and buying the 2017, and see what that runs. I'm sure it's going to cost more than $2200.

But that's just me, I don't know your financial situation. If you've got no debt and money burning in the bank, then go for it, LOL!

I finally got rid of my POS in 2016 because the warranty was expiring and it had a bunch of problems 6 months prior (was in the shop like every 2 weeks) and another blown head gasket. At that point I said, enough (was going to replace it a year later anyway).

I plan on keeping my 2017 SFS for 12-15 years unless I win the Lotto or something (like it starts giving me major issues).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts