Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Accent owners, I have a question / request for you.

We're planning on getting a '14 Accent Hatch for my wife as her daily driver but we're concerned with rear visibility.
I installed a backup camera in my Elantra a few weeks ago and it was one great update to fix this issue.
Plus, on the Elantra, there was already a plastic "blanking" on the trunk lid that I used to fix the camera on.

Here's the request now: I would like to see a picture of an Accent hatch equipped with a backup camera to give me an idea of how and where it is mounted. Preferably, a factory one (I know there are some in Australia and India) or perhaps this option is only for the sedan?

Yes I did search the forum but could not find this info. I'm looking on Google images too without any luck there either.

Thank you all for your help

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for double post but, while browsing Ebay for some "styling add-ons" I found a picture of the "Wit" (Accent hatch in Asia) that shows the backup camera poking right through the tailgate about an inch below the handle/Hyundai logo.

Just thought I would put the info here in case someone else was looking for it.

As for my install, there is no way I will drill a hole there on a brand new car so I'll see to find another place to install it.

If you want to see a picture of the OEM camera, here's a link to a nice roof spoiler on Ebay: Rear Window Roof Wing Spoiler FOR Hyundai Accent WIT 5DOOR 2011 2012 2013 | eBay

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you take your license plate off you'll discover there are already four holes in the bumper you can use to route the wire through. There's a grommet in the trunk underneath the trim piece along the back that provides the route for the backup light wires and you can run your camera wires through there.

Neil

·
Registered
56 Posts
I removed all 3 of the rear headrests (stored in the trunk in case needed). I also fully recline the passenger seat when driving solo (most of the time).
If I had done that, my girlfriend would think I cheat on her (The fully reclined passenger seat) >:D

Btw, here's a picture of 4 hole that neil mention. It's a pic of SG variant of grand avega (what they call Accent RB in Indonesia). It has parking camera but for the love of Chung Ju-yung I cannot pinpoint where they are!
It seems close to ground when I test drive it, so near the rear bumper. The sales rep only smiles when I ask where they install the rear camera :surprise:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like the camera may be underneath the Hyundai chrome logo on the hatch handle? I don't see anything like that on my 2012.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys for the info.
I think I might use the licence plate camera like Neil did.
Probably the simplest and less "troublesome" solution since the holes are already there.

I sure would expect the rear headrest removal to improve visibility but I was more concerned with "close encounters" when backing up and those objects that are too low to see through the rear window (which is cut pretty high actually).
The echo-location system was a good idea for this but it rarely indicates where exactly is the obstacle. I prefer using a camera in those cases. Then I can get a better idea of where I should steer the car when backing up.

Will let you know the outcome soon. We're getting the new Accent today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Note that as I reported in my thread on headunit install that specific tail/camera combo did not work in my 2013 USA Hyundai Accent. It was the wrong shape/size to fit in the hole. Considering the post was given by someone with, well, just that post, I'm gonna guess they're hyping their auction listing without actually confirming it works on our car. 'Cause for the 2013 USA model it doesn't!

Here's the license plate surround I used. Works great: Amazon.com : TaoTronics® TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 8 IR LED Night Vision (170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line / Zinc Metal Casing / Black) : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electr

Neil

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.