Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backup Camera just went dark...eeks ***UPDATE***

Hey guys, first time poster...hope you guys can help me out. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything. I'm in Canada and just on lunch today, my backup camera decided to stop working unfortunately.

Now, when I put the car into reverse...the screen goes black, nothing is on it. I'm not certain if I pushed any buttons or anything on it to turn it off. I did a little research and it could be a frayed wire causing the problem? I'm looking for some suggestions but I don't think there is a way to turn off the camera right? Look forward to some suggestions....thanks!

Kai

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think there was a way to turn it off, I'm trying to avoid going to the dealership but it may seem like the only choice I have so far. Thanks for the reply!

·
Banned
532 Posts
Not to be condescending but check the camera, some little brat may have put electrical tape over it.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll do that to my boss' car.....:whistling:

:00000732:

jd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahaha, you know being asian and all I figure my my eyes could miss something like that (LOL) but I definitely went and checked it out and unfortunately there is no electrical tape.

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so after speaking to 2 dealerships here in town....I decided to go open the truck and shut it again, got into the car and started it. Put my car into REVERSE and voila! It works....seriously, I have no idea what happened but thanks to the ones that responded.

Hope this problem doesn't pop up anytime soon considering the vehicle has less than 2500kms on it.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
:eek:

ok, so after speaking to 2 dealerships here in town....I decided to go open the truck and shut it again, got into the car and started it. Put my car into REVERSE and voila! It works....seriously, I have no idea what happened but thanks to the ones that responded.

Hope this problem doesn't pop up anytime soon considering the vehicle has less than 2500kms on it.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

Ok, so I got a good chuckle out of the black tape over the camera suggestion. Definitely going to do that to my @ss of a neighbour next time he ticks me off.

To your issue though, I haven't tried it on my LWB but I wonder if the camera turns on even if the trunk is not fully closed...and that perhaps yours was not? Seems odd though. I remember putting my Highlander in reverse while the trunk was closing and watching the camera shot go from blue sky and tilted downwards until the hatch closed. Hopefully it wasn't the "impact" and the 'ole "give it a smack" solution to getting working....:mellow:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was wondering if your hatch wasn't completely closed and that was the reason the camera didn't work?
I have a 2012 Tucson that has an intermittent camera-- the rear hatch open or closed makes no difference. Had it to the dealer and they can't seem to duplicate the problem so--- next time it goes black, I will do a video of the whole mess-- seems like bumpy roads make mine go out-- however, when it's parked for a while and you try it again, it will work. I have wiggled all the connections in the hatch, heated the camera with a heat gun and generally beat around the hatch with my hands-- can't make it go black--
I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only one with the problem. The back-up lights trigger the camera to on-- I'm thinking maybe an intermittent switch-- but I have no schematic to look at--

·
Registered
148 Posts
I didn't think there was a way to turn it off, I'm trying to avoid going to the dealership but it may seem like the only choice I have so far. Thanks for the reply!

I know this sounds totally crazy..but in case of emergency you could consider using the rear view mirrors to assist you in backing up? Or just not back up anymore!! lol jk glad you got it working again!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Back up camera door open or closed

Hi all from what I have done with my SF it does not matter if the rear door is open or closed the camera works, I had a load I was moving at the cottage that was longer than my SF and when backing up my camera was working no problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure to be honest but speaking to one of the dealership, he did say it could be a frayed wire but then what do I know. It's never happened before, only this one time yesterday at lunch and I'm sure hoping it's the last time I'll have this issue. Hopefully this issue of yours will be corrected in the near future.

I have a 2012 Tucson that has an intermittent camera-- the rear hatch open or closed makes no difference. Had it to the dealer and they can't seem to duplicate the problem so--- next time it goes black, I will do a video of the whole mess-- seems like bumpy roads make mine go out-- however, when it's parked for a while and you try it again, it will work. I have wiggled all the connections in the hatch, heated the camera with a heat gun and generally beat around the hatch with my hands-- can't make it go black--
I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only one with the problem. The back-up lights trigger the camera to on-- I'm thinking maybe an intermittent switch-- but I have no schematic to look at--

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys, I have a similar problem with my Santa Fe. But for me the guidelines are there and the image is "blinking"
Here is a video I recorded:

This happened last year as well but only once or twice in the autumn/winter. But now it's happening almost all the time. When I start off in the morning it's not working but after a few hours of driving if I'm lucky it works again properly.
What do you guys think? Do i have to replace the whole camera, or it's just a wiring issue? Is it about the camera at all?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts