Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I still have the electrical diagrams in HyundaiTechInfo for another week or so, I decided to look into the differences between the 2013 radio and the 2014 radio. Starting in 2014, the elantra with the tech package (bluetooth) had a backup camera. Well, that radio has an extra connector, as you can see in the screenshot below.

If you buy a 2014+ radio (no nav) with bluetooth (non-bluetooth models don't have this third connector), you will have the function for a backup camera. I checked the wiring diagrams between 2013 and 2014, and A and B connectors are almost the same. There was a MTS +/- wires in the 2014, along with a provision for auto-light, which wasn't available in the US 2011-2013 models. The pin for fuse from module 3 (ignition switch) wasn't in the 2014 model, which was a bit weird. It is just blank.

My car doesn't have bluetooth but i'll use this opportunity to add it in. I'm getting a regular car microphone with a 3.5mm jack and wiring it into the radio. It should be fairly straight forward and i'll be getting backup camera and bluetooth with this update. I'll be putting the microphone right behind the steering wheel and some noted that this works better than the microphone in the roof trim.

I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to put in a 2014+ radio into a 2011-2013 car. Remember that the 2011 and 2012 have a different trim around the radio so you will need this trim as well if you are to put in a 2013+ radio into a 2011 or 2012. The radio trim includes the clock and passenger airbag light. 2013 and 2014+ radios have the same shape but different from 2011 and 2012.

The next step is the camera. You can get any camera (either 2011-2013 or 2014+ camera). It should fit in the empty slot in the trunk like the navigation models. The 2011-2013 has a different connector (4pin) than the 2014+ (6pin), and since you're wiring it up yourself, you can use either camera. The connector that goes into this camera is hard to find and I'm working on getting it, but i may end up just popping out the pins and putting it into another connector. Note that it needs to be waterproof.

The last piece of the puzzle is the backup wire. On a 2013, it is pin 35 on EM11. I haven't taken a look but you will need to splice into that wire and get the reverse signal from it.

The next step would be to run the wires all the way to the back of the car. and into the trunk.

I'll be doing this mod in the next month. So far, I ordered the camera, camera connector, and the connector for the radio. Once I installed the camera into the trunk and get it all wired, I'll be ordering the radio and swapping that out. I'll miss the preset buttons right on the radio though, but the backup camera will be cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Remember that the 2011 and 2012 have a different trim around the radio so you will need this trim as well if you are to put in a 2013+ radio into a 2011 or 2012. The radio trim includes the clock and passenger airbag light. 2013 and 2014+ radios have the same shape but different from 2011 and 2012.
So the clock from the 2014-2016 can be used in the 2011-2013 models? If so, I'd order one to replace the Timex Indiglo-like blue clock on my 2013.

With the amount of effort that you're putting into this, have you considered going for any aftermarket pieces?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, the 2014 clock is different from 2011-2013. The connector is different. You'll need to buy specifically 2013 clock and trim. The 2011 and 2012 have different shaped clock trim.

I've considered it but I don't like how the aftermarket radios look on the elantra because of the trim design. The only aftermarket piece is the microphone since the OEM microphone is super expensive ($50) and I hear it can go bad. Also, it is way too much trouble trying to install and wire that thing into the roof trim.

I think if i were to do this again, I may get a chinese generic backup camera for around $10.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, if you were really interested in installing a 2014 clock into a 2013, you probably could swap it over, but you would need to change the wiring. If you could get the radio trim with the new connector, you can just buy the pins, repin your existing connector and then connect it up. You could probably get the connector as well on digikey or mouser.

The ket 025 is the 2013 clock, and the ket 040 is the 2014 clock.

Below is the 040 pin.
https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/multilock-040-iii-series/27750

It seems to have similar pins, but you need to just rearrange it in the new connector.
Darn, now that you mention it, it looks a lot better with the blue led. But a little too much trouble for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To add some more information about the connectors needed:

This is the connector that goes into the radio for the rear camera:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...LIREdbsWONA==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD
Automotive Connectors 025 ECU PLUG HSG ASY 16P
It is a 025 type pin, 16pin connector.
I haven't tried this connector yet, but I'll get the radio this week and do some testing.

It took me a long time to find a 6pin connector that mates with the 2014+ backup camera on the elantra. The camera part number is 95750-3x410. This is different from the 2011-2013 camera that comes with a 4 pin connector.
I found a wire repair kit from Kia:
https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-kum-025wp-6f~18790-04332-as.html
18790 04332AS
KUM-025WP-6F

My original plan was to remove the pins and put it into another waterproof connector but then I found this connector that mates with the stock camera in case I need to replace the camera in the future. I can order the OEM camera and swap it out.

The wiring repair kit comes with the wires, pin etc so all you need to do is run wires from there to the radio. It is on the pricey side, but this should last longer than a DIY waterproof connector setup. I just got the connector today and it plugs in perfectly.

I'm just waiting for the radio to come in before I start running wires and connecting it to the radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed this from a company called seicane.

USB works, aux input works, steering wheel controls work, and it comes with a back up camera.

The unit comes with full Android 7.1.1, but with a simple app on the playstore called "Head unit reloaded" you can have Android Auto running. If IOS is your thing they sell a USB dongle to activate carplay.

Sent from my HTC U11 plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on the project:
I finally got the radio and managed to do the radio install with a generic microphone. It seems almost any microphone with the right pins (KET 025 pins, I got mines from the climate control unit) can be plugged into the radio. I soldered a mono audio cable to it and my microphone plugs into it via 3.5mm jack in case I want to swap it out for another.
You can see the pictures below of how I did it. The outer shield is ground and the inner wire is the positive and wire it up to Mic+ and Mic- and it works.

So the 2013 and 2014 radios are slightly different. There is a mounting bracket on the side. See attached pictures. You can just swap the mounting brackets and it fits perfectly. I assumed the external dimensions were the same, and it was, so it fit nicely into my trim.
You can tell it is a 2013 trim since the vents are not in the upper grey trim, but you can see that it has the touchscreen radio.

An added benefit is that it has voice activation! I press the "speak" button on the steering wheel and you can give it commands. I believe the old one was just a shortcut to the bluetooth menu. The one button i'll miss is the SAT button.
Another benefit is that this radio still has a live XM subscription. Not sure how long it lasts but gives me time to switch my subscription over.

The backup camera went in as expected. Remove the trunk trim, put in the camera. There is even a small slot where the camera connector holder goes into. I used the above wire repair kit and ran wires through the trunk, under the trim on the left side of the car. I haven't wired in the camera yet since I have the wrong pins for the AMP 025 connector. The connector listed above is correct, but it doesn't use any of my existing 025 pins. It is a specific pin from Amphenol that is longer than the other pins, so i'll wait another few days to get them as test them.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 2016 Elantra (stock) & I want to add a backup camera, what do I need?

I have a touch screen, bluetooth radio (non navi) from a 2014, is all I need the backup camera & it's a simple plug & play?

If so, where do I get the camera? Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll need a backup camera. The OEM cameras are a bit expensive but you can use any camera. I recommend going with the 2014+ camera and the 6-pin wiring repair kit I mentioned above.
There are some cheap chinese cameras on ebay that fits into the elantra and its only like $20.

You'll need the 16-pin connector that goes into the radio. Its in the first post.
You'll need the pins that go into that connector:
571-1123343-1-LP
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...2br/5Bk63mQ==&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

I just put it in and it works.
The hardest part is to find the reverse signal. I'm tapping it out of EM11 but you can just tap the reverse lights from the trunk. This will trigger the camera.

Other than that, yea its plug and play once you get all the pins and wiring all set up. I bought some thin 18 gauge wire. You'll need probably 6 25 feet wires. I'll be putting the rest of it in tonight.

You'll need to remove the rear driver's side seats to run the wires, along with all the side trim on the drivers side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The camera from a 2014+ should be this part:
95750-3X410
Ebay is your best bet but you can also call around junk yards and see if they have backup cameras from 2014+ elantras. Remember that either tech package or nav have the same backup camera. It only takes a few minutes to remove from the car so should be fairly cheap.

If you want to go cheap, you can try this camera:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CCD-Car-Vi...162911?hash=item33d349d35f:g:VJYAAOSwAuZX6C3c

It doesn't matter which camera you get since you're wiring it up anyway. In the event you sell the car, its better if you get an OEM one so at least they can attempt to go to hyundai and they'll at least know what to replace it with, even though they have no clue how it was done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally had time to put it in. I wired it up but didn't connect the pins to the connector until today. Fairly simple given the pin above. It works! See the attached picture. Not the biggest screen but it works.

I saw the diagram wrong and swapped the pins. I thought the view above for the connector that goes into the radio was from behind, but it is from the front of the connector (side that goes into the radio). I shorted the backup lamp wire to ground. I was testing the connection with aligator clips and was quick enough to realize the error and undid the connections. Luckily it didn't damage anything. When I got the right connections, the camera worked.

I also soldered in the connection to the backup lamp. I lifted the connector with two fingers and then held/moved the solder with my thumb and pointing finger. I stripped part of the wire with a box cutter and twisted the wire so that it stayed put until I soldered it. Only took a few seconds. A decent alternative is to tap into the backup lights in the trunk. You will need to run the wire the length of the car though.

I used about 20 feet of wire from the trunk to the radio. You'll need at least 3 wires to run into the radio (power, video ground, and video output). Two additional wires are ground (shield and camera ground) and if you remove most of trim of the back seat, you can reach that ground. I picked the ground behind the fuse box. Its pretty easy to reach once you lie down on the front seat floor but you'll need at least 15 feet of wire to reach it. About 12 feet to the B pillar ground.

One additional feature is bluetooth audio in the 2014 radio. Not a feature in the older radio. Gaining bluetooth and bluetooth audio was so worth the $50 I paid for the radio.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts