Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got an SE with factory nav unit. Since we don't get the backup camera option I'm wondering if it's possible, and how big of a deal it would be, to get the stuff from a dealer and have it installed. What activates the camera on a Limited? When you go into reverse or is there a button for it? Anybody know how it's integrated with the nav display?

If that's not an option, I'll have to get the rearview mirror version and try to make it look clean. :ph34r:

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 4 2010, 10:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319667
So, I've got an SE with factory nav unit. Since we don't get the backup camera option I'm wondering if it's possible, and how big of a deal it would be, to get the stuff from a dealer and have it installed. What activates the camera on a Limited? When you go into reverse or is there a button for it? Anybody know how it's integrated with the nav display?

If that's not an option, I'll have to get the rearview mirror version and try to make it look clean. :ph34r:
I do have a Limited w/o Nav and want to have a backup camera. Since you have a nav installed it might be easier for you than me.

If your Nav's part number is the same as the one in Limited, there should be a connector or line for a backup camera.
You then get OEM backup camera and frame to relocate a trunk switch. Shark Racing could be your source to get OEM backup camera with wire harness and frame. (I am not sure if they have it but you might email and ask them)

I don't have a Nav installed so I am thinking of Flip-down monitor instead with OEM backup camera.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can somebody with a limited/nav give me the scoop on how your backup camera works? Does it switch over to the camera automatically when you go into reverse? Just trying to get a feel for how integrated the factory camera really is.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 5 2010, 05:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319957
Can somebody with a limited/nav give me the scoop on how your backup camera works? Does it switch over to the camera automatically when you go into reverse? Just trying to get a feel for how integrated the factory camera really is.
Yes, comes on automatically when you put it in reverse. I actually parallel parked yesterday for the first time since I got the car. Wow, it was a huge help. I'm sure if I did it often I'd get used to it, but I had no idea where the rear end was looking out the back window.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (meik @ May 4 2010, 10:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319673
I do have a Limited w/o Nav and want to have a backup camera. Since you have a nav installed it might be easier for you than me.

If your Nav's part number is the same as the one in Limited, there should be a connector or line for a backup camera.
You then get OEM backup camera and frame to relocate a trunk switch. Shark Racing could be your source to get OEM backup camera with wire harness and frame. (I am not sure if they have it but you might email and ask them)

I don't have a Nav installed so I am thinking of Flip-down monitor instead with OEM backup camera.
Even I got a Limited without Nav., and I want to install the nav, could you give me the details of Flip-down montior for backup-camera.

thanks...

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am currently looking at a limited with NAV. Since the wife is short and I do not want her new car smushed up, I thought that I would add rear PDC (park distance control to it). I know BMW has a rear lic plate mount that has two sensors mounted to it that angle away from center that work well. Kit comes complete and is just a simple two wire hook up, ground and reverse (back up lamp) signal. When you put the car in R unit becomes active and slowly beeps and gets faster the closer you get to a object, then goes full solid tone at one to two feet away from object. For that custom appearance I am going to remove the sensors and remount them farther apart just under the bumper. If this works out as good as it should then she will also get two front sensors also. It is pretty $$ ($239 retail), but not as much as any damage or time lost .

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ May 6 2010, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320197
I am currently looking at a limited with NAV. Since the wife is short and I do not want her new car smushed up, I thought that I would add rear PDC (park distance control to it). I know BMW has a rear lic plate mount that has two sensors mounted to it that angle away from center that work well. Kit comes complete and is just a simple two wire hook up, ground and reverse (back up lamp) signal. When you put the car in R unit becomes active and slowly beeps and gets faster the closer you get to a object, then goes full solid tone at one to two feet away from object. For that custom appearance I am going to remove the sensors and remount them farther apart just under the bumper. If this works out as good as it should then she will also get two front sensors also. It is pretty $$ ($239 retail), but not as much as any damage or time lost .

I am thinking of adding this product to my ltd w nav to assist. You have to remove the rear bumper cover to install but I like it more than the ultrasonic sensors

http://www.parkingdynamics.com/

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (meik @ May 4 2010, 10:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319673

I'm interested in doing this as well depending on cost. I've got an SE w/ Nav. I bet HyundaiDealer might be able to talk to his people at the parts department at his dealership and figure out what all would be involved, if it is compatible, part #'s, etc...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (smithw14 @ May 6 2010, 06:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320368
I'm interested in doing this as well depending on cost. I've got an SE w/ Nav. I bet HyundaiDealer might be able to talk to his people at the parts department at his dealership and figure out what all would be involved, if it is compatible, part #'s, etc...
I did a little research into the drawings on the Hyundai Service Website. The schematics are pretty fragmented so it's difficult to say for sure. It shows the camera on the back and a camera unit in the dash behind the glove box that somehow connects to the AVN unit. This is where it gets fuzzy. The schematics and drawings for the AVN unit do not show any inputs specifically for backup camera video inputs from the camera unit. The drawing for the camera unit, however, shows a 3-wire shielded cable to the AVN head unit display. Assuming the terminal/wire numbers from the camera unit correspond to the terminal numbers on the first plug on the AVN (which are undesignated), then I'm guessing this is where they go. It doesn't indicate what kind of connection it is though. Perhaps there is a seperate plug off the harness that goes to the camera unit. Assuming all of these assumptions are even remotely accurate, the bigger question is wether or not Hyundai engineers used the same harness configuration for both LTD and SE. If the wiring is not there already, then we're hosed.

I may drop an email to HMA and see if I can get some clarity.

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 6 2010, 10:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320462
I did a little research into the drawings on the Hyundai Service Website. The schematics are pretty fragmented so it's difficult to say for sure. It shows the camera on the back and a camera unit in the dash behind the glove box that somehow connects to the AVN unit. This is where it gets fuzzy. The schematics and drawings for the AVN unit do not show any inputs specifically for backup camera video inputs from the camera unit. The drawing for the camera unit, however, shows a 3-wire shielded cable to the AVN head unit display. Assuming the terminal/wire numbers from the camera unit correspond to the terminal numbers on the first plug on the AVN (which are undesignated), then I'm guessing this is where they go. It doesn't indicate what kind of connection it is though. Perhaps there is a seperate plug off the harness that goes to the camera unit. Assuming all of these assumptions are even remotely accurate, the bigger question is wether or not Hyundai engineers used the same harness configuration for both LTD and SE. If the wiring is not there already, then we're hosed.

I may drop an email to HMA and see if I can get some clarity.
Wow - you have done your homework! Keep us posted

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured I'd post Hyundai's response here for posterity. In short, we're hosed. What I found most peculiar is they mention that you can't even buy the camera setup by itself. That should prove to be interesting in the future for those of you with LTD. Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye out for clean looking camera-only rearview mirrors (preferably wireless). Right now the only ones I've been able to find are either clip-on's for the existing mirror (which kind of look awkward) or ones with nav/bluetooth built in as well.

Hyundai's response:

"Dear XXXX:

Thank you for taking the time to clarify the information you want to know about your 2011 Sonata SE. We appreciate this opportunity to congratulate you on the purchase of your Sonata.

In researching your questions about installing a rear-view camera in your Sonata SE, we have found that the wiring between the Sonata Limited and the Sonata SE is not compatible for the installation of a rear-view camera from the Limited trim into the SE trim. Hyundai does not offer the rear-view camera from the Sonata Limited as a part that you would be able to purchase separately. The installation of any rear-view camera on your Sonata SE would necessitate cutting a hole in the trunk, and the cost would be prohibitive.

We hope that this information answers your original question. We have included this information in case number 3945692.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Consumer Affairs."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thinking of installing an aftermarket backup camera for 2011 Sonata GLS. Wanting to know real world experience for those who installed before.

I am thinking of doing the installation myself. Any recommendations of a good acceptable unit?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Here's an idea.... get a aftermarket back up camera, install it inside the car above the rear window and have it point at an angle. I think it's gonna be high enough to see the back end of the car..... if not, maybe install it right where the trunk latch is and run the wires behind the license plate lights.

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
Wireless cameras usually work off of the same band as home cordless phones (2.4 ghz). While great for audio, with video you see every error in transmission and all interference is visualized. It really depends on the car and the environment you're using it in. I would probably say that its never flawless, but sometimes acceptable. But then you may pull into a parking garage or somewhere with lots of interference and *poof* its all static and lines. Just my experience

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (Iceberg802 @ May 13 2010, 06:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322619
Wireless cameras usually work off of the same band as home cordless phones (2.4 ghz). While great for audio, with video you see every error in transmission and all interference is visualized. It really depends on the car and the environment you're using it in. I would probably say that its never flawless, but sometimes acceptable. But then you may pull into a parking garage or somewhere with lots of interference and *poof* its all static and lines. Just my experience

I researched this, and the above is pretty accurate. I have been spoiled with my other 2 cars having the back-up sonar/camera. In my BMW, I had backup camera and sonar sound front AND back. The proximity sound/buzzer was much more usefull than the camera. That is why I went with a wireless 4 sensor sonar. It has an info screen that fits nicely above the rear view mirror. I am having it installed on Monday. I was going to DIY, but it involves removing the rear bumper and drilling 4 holes, so off to the Electronic shop. I will report back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I purchased from the internet a GPS unit with wireless backup camera. Did not installed yet just tried out. The camera goes on the license plate with a bracket and needs hooked to the reverse light. When you put the car in reverse the navigation screen is switched to the camera automaticaly. On the image are 3 lines that help you measure distance. It looks very neat. The hole thing was $98. The GPS is 4.3 wide screen and has multiple functions, even games.

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 13 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322581
Figured I'd post Hyundai's response here for posterity. In short, we're hosed. What I found most peculiar is they mention that you can't even buy the camera setup by itself. That should prove to be interesting in the future for those of you with LTD. Anyway, I'll have to keep an eye out for clean looking camera-only rearview mirrors (preferably wireless). Right now the only ones I've been able to find are either clip-on's for the existing mirror (which kind of look awkward) or ones with nav/bluetooth built in as well.

Hyundai's response:

"Dear XXXX:

Thank you for taking the time to clarify the information you want to know about your 2011 Sonata SE. We appreciate this opportunity to congratulate you on the purchase of your Sonata.

In researching your questions about installing a rear-view camera in your Sonata SE, we have found that the wiring between the Sonata Limited and the Sonata SE is not compatible for the installation of a rear-view camera from the Limited trim into the SE trim. Hyundai does not offer the rear-view camera from the Sonata Limited as a part that you would be able to purchase separately. The installation of any rear-view camera on your Sonata SE would necessitate cutting a hole in the trunk, and the cost would be prohibitive.

We hope that this information answers your original question. We have included this information in case number 3945692.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Consumer Affairs."

I ran into the same sort of problem trying to get the LTD turn signal mirrors for my SE. The problem seems to be the electrical wireing harnesses and some other components that would have to be completely replaced because the LTD cars have different harnesses than the SE cars. One dealership quoted me $2,000 to do the turn signal mirrors. The other two didn't even want to do it. I havent really asked them about the back up camera, but it seems like the same issue there.

What a shame...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just installed a backup camera on my Sonata. This is what you need to know:
-you have to find a way to get the wires in to the trunk. I used a round file and filed a little from the side of the license plate light.
-after you have the wiring inside you need to remove the lining on the trunk lid and the backup light on the right side. This needs done because the only way in the trunk is through a rubber grommet installed by Hyundai for OEM wiring. There is no other way beside drilling a hole in the trunk lid but you do not want to do that. After removing the rubber grommet you can pass your wiring into the trunk and reinstall the grommet.
-I connected my two wires for the camera transmitter to the right reverse light wiring. There are 3 wires going to the light but only to are used by the light. I used the black wire for - and blue wire for +. Just removed a little insulation and tapped in with my wires.Make sure you insulate the wires as they must be kept separate. Reinstalled the lining and all OK. I did check operation of the camera just to be sure before reinstalling everything. When the reverse lights come on the navigation switches to camera automatically. Not a bad system for $98. The screen is 4.3 wide.After uploading I see the pictures are not to clear but I did work under poor lighting. Still think you can see what I am talking about. Tomorrow I will upload pictures of the GPS itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 13 2010, 08:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322671
Just installed a backup camera on my Sonata. This is what you need to know:
-you have to find a way to get the wires in to the trunk. I used a round file and filed a little from the side of the license plate light.
-after you have the wiring inside you need to remove the lining on the trunk lid and the backup light on the right side. This needs done because the only way in the trunk is through a rubber grommet installed by Hyundai for OEM wiring. There is no other way beside drilling a hole in the trunk lid but you do not want to do that. After removing the rubber grommet you can pass your wiring into the trunk and reinstall the grommet.
-I connected my two wires for the camera transmitter to the right reverse light wiring. There are 3 wires going to the light but only to are used by the light. I used the black wire for - and blue wire for +. Just removed a little insulation and tapped in with my wires.Make sure you insulate the wires as they must be kept separate. Reinstalled the lining and all OK. I did check operation of the camera just to be sure before reinstalling everything. When the reverse lights come on the navigation switches to camera automatically. Not a bad system for $98. The screen is 4.3 wide.After uploading I see the pictures are not to clear but I did work under poor lighting. Still think you can see what I am talking about. Tomorrow I will upload pictures of the GPS itself.
That is wonderful. I am waiting for a Wired System with a clip on mirror for display to be delivered. I need a 12 Volt source for the mirror with built in LCD, but don't want to drain the battery if I forget to turn the mirror power off. Using a Backup Light 12V as source to the mirror is prefect. I can run a long wire from the backup light in trunk through the car trim to front mirror lining to supply the 12V source, but it will be long and power loss.

Is there an easy access to tap into a 12V Accessory source (Ignition Controlled) by the overhead bin (preferred) or somewhere under the dash without too much work, like tearing apart the center console to the back of the cigarette lighter connections? This way, in case I forget to turn off power to the mirror, battery won't be drained. The mirror will need 6W power. Using a dimming mirror source might not be enough power (I think the dimming mirror can only source 150 mA (not sure) from the connector (if exists). Is there a sunroof connector I can tapped into for the GLS? I don't have a sunroof.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts