Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I was wondering what's going to happen to the 2018 Elantra base, and accent, with no back-up cams after the law is in effect here in Canada after May 2018. I was wondering if the dealers will add a aftermarket type or will hyundia change the model?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
In the USA, if your vehicle did not come with safety belts, do not have to install them. When directional signals first came out, they had to work to pass inspection, but if you didn't have them originally, did not have to get them installed.

Installing a rear camera would cost next to nothing if done in production, you would be shocked how cheap these parts are when purchased in the thousands or even in the millions. But if a dealer installs one, like an arm and a leg and will probably wreck something in the process.

Now what about Canada?

·
Registered
941 Posts
You'll just have to wait and see...

But my guess... the law is for cars 'made' after May 2018, so pre-May'18 cars won't have anything done to them, and post-May'18 cars will be manufactured according to the law. If an owner wants a camera on an earlier model it will be up to them to pay for it to be installed, I'm sure.

It's pretty dumb of Hyundai to have not just made all 18s with the camera, knowing that the law was going into effect. They've been doing cameras in the US for years, should have just done it for Canadian cars as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's pretty dumb of Hyundai to have not just made all 18s with the camera, knowing that the law was going into effect. They've been doing cameras in the US for years, should have just done it for Canadian cars as well.

Yup that's what I thought, it sounds to be me that every car sold after May is required to have them installed. So I was wondering what was going to happen to the 2018 models sitting at the dealerships with out backup cams.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Ha, saw a 37 Olds at a car show, the kind of car I received my driver's license in when I was a foot shorter. Can't see the right front fender, no side view mirrors, and looking out the rear view, could only see air. Was wondering how I even passed my driver's test when I was 16 years old.

54 Olds Holiday coupe was quite the car, full rear vision, no seat belt, no head restains, had no problems backing up at 20 mph in that thing.

Limited is kind of like that 37 Olds, can't turn around with seat belts, head restrains prevent you from put your arm around the back of the seat, and those rear head restrains sure block your rear vision, glad it has a rear view camera. At night, lights up the rear like its daytime. The way they are making cars today, rear camera should be law.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Tried to find the actual wording of the law and couldn't, but @tenergy appears to be correct:

(Canada is changing to match USA regulations)

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/new-backup-camera-rule-cameras-will-be-mandatory-by-2018-223739

itsallfingtaken
Car regulations only apply to vehicles at time they were built. They are not retroactive to old cars already built.

2018 Elantra already has a backup camera in some trims.

2018 Accent will have a backup camera in some trims.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-...s-mini-me-official-photos-and-info-gallery#47

As @tenergy mentioned, my guess is cars built after May 2018 will either have the upgraded radio with the backup camera, or might get a new lower trim radio (for example, not a touchscreen), with a backup camera. The bezels and trim are available so it shouldn't be a difficult retrofit.

(But yes, I don't think dealers will do anything for pre-May 2018 build date cars, other than discount them to sell them for less than the b/u camera equipped cars.)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Apart from legal requirements I would recommend installing a backup camera. One reason I bought the 2017 Elantra SE (USA) was for the camera. There are many aftermarket DIY kits:

By the way using a backup camera takes some getting used to. I found myself paying too much attention to it at first and not spending enough time looking around. The camera view is essentially tunnel vision.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took an '18 Genesis 3.3T home from the dealership I work at over the past weekend. Not only does it have a back up camera, but it also has a forward facing camera, and cameras on the front, rear and mirrors that look down in which, after superimposing a picture of the car, gives you a 'birds eye view'. While very neat and allows you to makes sure you're in the lines and not about to bash your front bumper on a parking curb, is overly distractive to me. I found myself watching the cameras more than I should when backing into a parking space, and not being able to do it very well. I'd have to pull out and use the good ol' fashioned mirrors.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Just curious, I was wondering what's going to happen to the 2018 Elantra base, and accent, with no back-up cams after the law is in effect here in Canada after May 2018. I was wondering if the dealers will add a aftermarket type or will hyundia change the model?
Massachusetts was one of the first states to discuss making hands-free use of cell phones mandatory in cars back in 2005. By 2008 I had hands-free in all my cars. Still waiting for the law to pass, but I like the hands-free convenience.

Back-up camera is not hard to install; if you can trim some wires, drill a hole and handle a screwdriver you can do it yourself.

As far as Hyundai, and other Asian and European carmakers for that matter, there are 3 levels: FIO, PIO and DIO.

FIO is Factory Installed Option, where the item is put in the car when originally assembled.

PIO is Port Installed Option. Since some things are only required in certain markets it's too expensive to install them in the factory, so when the car arrives in the port (for example, Long Beach for Toyota) the required equipment is installed there, freeing the factory from having to separate a few hundred thousand cars from the millions cranked out.

Then the DIO, or Dealer Installed Option. Things like backup warnings and such are included here; or let's say you "order" a car with an upgraded stereo; they pull the stock unit and put in a better radio.

My guess is, unless Hyundai starts adding back-up cameras to ALL their units, the Canadian required BUC will be installed when the car originally enters the country, unless it's a model that comes with it already.

BTW, for example, in Toyota's case, air conditioning in the 70's-90's was a PIO, since shipping 25,000 cars with the added weight was expensive. They could send over a whole year's supply of AC units with a "short" shipment and install them at the port.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Most MY18 cars already have a back up camera, and looking at the link posted for aftermarket kits on Amazon, most decent ones are around $100 give or take. Some of the cheap ones are more like $30. Hyundai will add them in time to be compliant, and the cost is probably under $10 per unit (parts only) when you are talking about thousands of vehicles.

They know what they need to be in compliance, so I agree with those of you who wonder why they didn't already add one to all models. Seems pretty lame considering the fact that all Sonatas have blind spot warning systems this year.

Then again, some are made in Ulsan or other locations in South Korea and others are made in Montgomery Alabama. My 2018 Santa Fe Sport was made at KMAA (Kia) in West Point GA just like all SFS models starting with 2015, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
By the way using a backup camera takes some getting used to. I found myself paying too much attention to it at first and not spending enough time looking around. The camera view is essentially tunnel vision.
OMG... my parking accuracy went down the toilet for the first week or two because of this. Now I glance at it to check the way is clear, but mostly park without it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts