Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove a "Premium" 2014 Cadenza and a Base 2014 Azera today. I am sorry to report that the Cadenza felt more solid, was quieter on the highway, and in general had a slightly more luxurious feel. I really wanted to like the Azera better. I had all but made up my mind to get a 2014 "Limited." Now, I am confused. We all know these cars are supposed to be twins, so I do not understand the differences. The steering on both felt perfectly adequate: not much difference there. No worries about loose steering feel on either car. They handled similarly... The Cadenza just felt more upscale (confirmed by my wife.)

I hope others on the board can report their similar experiences with both cars.
(Oh... and the Kia dealer was basically selling at invoice.)

The Cadenza brochure is 9X11" and is made of heavy stock, with better photos; the Azera's is 8X9". Hyundai seems to be trying to elevate the Kia brand - even at the cost of its sibling. No doubt trying to correct the poor reputation of Kia's of earlier years.

Please don't ban me..........

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Drove a "Premium" 2014 Cadenza and a Base 2014 Azera today. I am sorry to report that the Cadenza felt more solid, was quieter on the highway, and in general had a slightly more luxurious feel. I really wanted to like the Azera better. I had all but made up my mind to get a 2014 "Limited." Now, I am confused. We all know these cars are supposed to be twins, so I do not understand the differences. The steering on both felt perfectly adequate: not much difference there. No worries about loose steering feel on either car. They handled similarly... The Cadenza just felt more upscale (confirmed by my wife.)

I hope others on the board can report their similar experiences with both cars.
(Oh... and the Kia dealer was basically selling at invoice.)

The Cadenza brochure is 9X11" and is made of heavy stock, with better photos; the Azera's is 8X9". Hyundai seems to be trying to elevate the Kia brand - even at the cost of its sibling. No doubt trying to correct the poor reputation of Kia's of earlier years.

Please don't ban me..........
i sat in a cadenza last night at a local auto show - I don't find the interior at all more attractive than the Azera. Did not drive it of course.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Drove a "Premium" 2014 Cadenza and a Base 2014 Azera today. I am sorry to report that the Cadenza felt more solid, was quieter on the highway, and in general had a slightly more luxurious feel.
Dealers typically keep the tires overinflated to keep them from flat-spotting while the cars sit on the lot. It is possible that the Cadenza had tires set to the proper pressure while the tires on the Azera were overinflated. We almost didn't buy our Santa Fe because the first test drive left us feeling it was noisy and harsh. It wasn't until we drove the exact same model at another dealer, with the tires correctly inflated, that we liked the Santa Fe.

It would be interesting to check the Azera's PSI to be sure it is correct and test drive it again.

By the way, I test drove a Cadenza at the Auto Show and liked the way it drove. Much smoother and quieter than the Avalon I also drove. But, I don't know what the difference in tire inflation were. I have yet to test drive an Azera, but will do so soon. I am hoping the Azera will drive as nicely as the Cadenza because I just don't care for the interior look of the Cadenza.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Point. I also wondered whether the higher trim levels in both cars might have a little better insulation (since I drove the higher trim in the Cadenza.) One other item: the Cadenza had articulating headrests whose forward/backward angles could be changed (I know the fix we'll do to the Azera.)

·
Registered
472 Posts
You drove a premium Credenza and a base Azera. Not the same and probably 10K more for a Credenza as driven vs a base Azera.

Frankly for me, before I spend what I believe to be $44K for a Credenza I would look at a Lexus which would be less than the cost of a Kia.

The Azera with the technology package is a great bang for the buck and a better looking car than the Credenza. I think the inside of the Azera is as nicely done as most of the other manufacturers priced higher than the Azera.

Again, this is strickly my opinion and I respect yours but, compare apples to apples both in packages and price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sig... I agree. Though I did drive the "Limited + Premium Package" Azera last week (and wrote a review here). This time I drove them back to back.

The Cadenza was their "Premium" trim level. It was offered to me for @$34,000 without any bargaining on my part. Kia also has a "Technology" package one trim level higher. So, the pricing is similar, but the Kia ultimately would cost more.

I hope others weigh in on comparison test drives, as well.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
You drove a premium Credenza and a base Azera. Not the same and probably 10K more for a Credenza as driven vs a base Azera.

Frankly for me, before I spend what I believe to be $44K for a Credenza I would look at a Lexus which would be less than the cost of a Kia.

The Azera with the technology package is a great bang for the buck and a better looking car than the Credenza. I think the inside of the Azera is as nicely done as most of the other manufacturers priced higher than the Azera.

Again, this is strickly my opinion and I respect yours but, compare apples to apples both in packages and price.
Cadenza.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
As far as trim level differences, the Azera and the Azera Limited w/o the Premium Package will drive exactly the same. The only differences are in options. The Limited+Premium Package will drive differently because it has the larger tires and possibly the added weight of the pano sunroof. I don't know how the Cadenza trim levels affect driving characteristics.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Swive,

Thanks for your comments on the Cadenza. I've been waiting to hear about about someone's experience comparing the two but for most of us here I think we bought our Azera before the Cadenza even came out. And I haven't bothered to go out and test drive the Cadenza just for fun.

On paper these two cars seem so similar (same engine, similar features, similar statstics) they are like sister cars (which they are indeed with sister companies) yet there are definitely differences. If you are shopping for the two I'm glad you test drove both and back to back because it helps to compare one right after another.

I respect your opinion as you are probably one of the very few here that has driven both so there is little we can say to discount your experience. Also there are not a ton of reviews comparing these two cars.

Basically from what I can tell, most of us on this forum are pretty overall happy with our Azera. As far as looks go which is completely subjective I do like the Azera considerably more by a lot both interior and exterior. I like the Azera because it feels more modern and fresh while the Cadenza is more traditional/European and a bit staid to me but of course this is a matter of individual taste. I don't know that even if I knew the Cadenza drove quieter and handled better that I would necessarily choose the Cadenza. How the car looks and feels inside and out was a big priority for me. I am not a connoisseur when it comes to car handling as I drive pretty conservatively. But the Azera handles just fine for me. And I think it is plenty quiet.

Below are some previous discussions on this forum on people's thoughts between these two cars you might want to take a look at if you haven't already. But I don't think anyone actually drove a Cadenza.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/266-hg-2012-azera/159053-2014-azera-2014-cadenza.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/266-hg-2012-azera/161748-cadenza-aka-azera.html

One more thing I'll say about the Azera that I appreciate. No problems after 1 year of ownership. Considering that I own a 2012 model which was a new model release and many cars will often have problems/issues in the 1st year of a new model production, I think the fact that this car has been relatively problem free says a lot about Hyundai and its quality. Let's just say that I am impressed thus far (as this is my first Hyundai).

There are a lot of factors that will go into what you like about a car and don't like and your best bet is to test drive them (which you did) and then go with your gut as to what appeals to you. Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I test drove a Cadenza before I bought my second Azera. The drive did feel more up scale, smooth and I loved it. This is missing in the Azera. But with the cost of the Azera, the interior of the Azera, I went back to the Azera. My reasons for not choosing the Cadenza are the money, the interior and the back seats do not fold down. The key fob is even more upscale. I do not regret my choice.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ok boys and girls today I was with my buddy who wants to buy a Kia. So we looked at a few and he was fixed on the Cadenza. So he took it out for a test drive for about an hour. Meanwhile I was at the dealer looking at a few of the Kia's on the showroom floor. Can't say I like the Cadenza as it really isn't much. The Azera has much better lines, and the interior is far better, the layout of the dash in the Azera is more refined. The car is nice but in my opinion it is untested and for that money I rather have a Hyundai Azera.

So my buddy got back from his test drive and was not very impressed. So he headed over to the Hyundai dealer drove an 2013 Azera for an hour, came back sat down for the sales manager. Tried to work out a deal, but no deal struck. We went home and two hours later the deal was struck when the dealer called him on the phone.

Tuesday he picks up his 2013 Azera with the Tech package.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Ok boys and girls today I was with my buddy who wants to buy a Kia. So we looked at a few and he was fixed on the Cadenza. So he took it out for a test drive for about an hour. Meanwhile I was at the dealer looking at a few of the Kia's on the showroom floor. Can't say I like the Cadenza as it really isn't much. The Azera has much better lines, and the interior is far better, the layout of the dash in the Azera is more refined. The car is nice but in my opinion it is untested and for that money I rather have a Hyundai Azera.

So my buddy got back from his test drive and was not very impressed. So he headed over to the Hyundai dealer drove an 2013 Azera for an hour, came back sat down for the sales manager. Tried to work out a deal, but no deal struck. We went home and two hours later the deal was struck when the dealer called him on the phone.

Tuesday he picks up his 2013 Azera with the Tech package.
Nice - hard to imagine a dealer would leave a 13 sitting on the lot when there's an interested buyer.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Me too but I guess they thought they could get an extra thousand or two. I hate buying a car from a dealer. The dealer I went to I know the owner. My buddy knew the sales manager at this dealership and said he was going to get hooked up. He didn't at first but by the time he got home I guess the sales manager got the word from the top and said give him a deal. They only had 6 Azera 13s in the lot. The Sales Manager told me that they can't keep the Elantra's in the lot more than a week. They have been selling like hotcakes even how cold and snowy it has been here in Cincinnati.

I'm glad my buddy is all excited about his new purchase. The Azera is one heck of a car. I love mine!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heypal: Do you know specifically why your buddy liked the Azera better? And (if he is willing) please share what he paid for his 2013. And the name of the dealer in Cincy!
Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I will today. He has 4 options on color as there are four different colors on the lot at of the six Azera's left there. Paul told me he liked the ride better more comfortable seats, better view of the cockpit. He is a pilot flies military jets for Air Force stationed in Wright Pat. Currently he has a BMW 3 series and of course the car is getting expensive as the warranty has expired. So he wanted something nice, yet not break the bank as he has two kids and a wife that spends more money than Obama.

Paul said the seats are so soft and the heat on the seats is just the right temp. He likes the trunk being big and all has plenty of room for trips with the family. Paul said he liked the Kia but untested and Azera has been around for awhile. He has been following the forum here and said by far this is the best forum on the net.

He has driven my car and loves it. I knew he would select the Azera over the Kia but since he is into mechanics he wanted to try both cars. Paul likes the sleek design of the Azera and it has plenty of horses. He was glad the Sales Manager made the price happen as the Kia Sales Manager was not giving any deals.

I will find out what he paid and the color he selected later today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an interesting observation: The centerstack of the 2015 Genesis looks just like the Kia's. Clearly going for the more conservative look.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Really hope he enjoys it, he should fell at ease in it, the first time I drove the Azera I felt more like I was flying than driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts