Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read may reviews, and some user comments, that mention the steering feel of the Azera. Some say it wanders too much... some say it doesn't, some say it is too light... others say it is too heavy, etc. Motor Trend found a substantial difference between two HG Azeras they reviewed, saying the second one had much better steering than the first one they tested. I have wondered how there can be such diverse opinions on steering and suspected that, in addition to alignment differences, there may be software adjustments that affect the electronic steering feel. Well, over at the Sonata forum there is a long thread on that very subject: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/163171-2013-sonata-steering-problem-solved.html

To keep you from having to read through that long thread, I can summarize that there is an adjustment called EPS Type Recognition that allows the dealer to set the steering feel to either GLS, Soft, Hard or Sport. These settings determine the amount of power assist, with GLS being very boosted and light and Sport being the least boosted and the most heavy. Soft and Hard are levels between the two. Those that complained of wandering steering found much improvement by having the dealer set the type to Hard or Sport. The Azera service manual shows that EPS Type Recognition adjustment is available, but I can't tell from the illustrations if you can set it to all four possible levels. In any event, setting it to Hard or Sport should make the steering feel more direct.

According to the Sonata thread, most owners found that their dealers did not know of the settings, and some found their dealer wasn't willing to change the setting. Independent shops that have a Snap-on Verus scanner can also make the adjustment.

Perhaps some of our members that work at a Hyundai dealer can tell us what the settings are for an Azera and if they have made such adjustments and how the customer liked the new setting.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am certainly no expert but I find the steering in my Azera better than the steering in my previous Avalon. To me the Avalon wandered a bit but to me the Azera does not wander at all. Also, the boost is a little less than my Avalon which I like. I thought the Avalon steering was too light.

Would be interesting to find out if there is some adjustment possible and the current setting my Azera has.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is fascinating. I'm looking forward to hearing the replies from our Hyundai professionals on the forum. The steering in my 2011 Elantra was all over the place, so -- comparatively -- the Azera is significantly better; however, if I had the ability to tighten it just a bit, I would welcome the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Bottom line.. I'm not sure I would change mine in any case. It's better than most cars that I have owned. It's not in the league of my old G35, but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Lets start with an alignment to minimize the gross cambers out back, and cut the toe values also and bring the rear thrust line up the center of the chassis centerline, then finish off with front toe.

This will be the biggest contributor to silly all over the road wandering car.. the EPS Regocnition setting does nothing for real world align numbers.. it only affects steering wheel assist feel.

Have somebody that can read numbers and know what they mean set up your car' align.. ideally no more than -0.5 camber out back with total toe of no more than +0.14 total out back.. set front using WIN TOE.. see how it drive after that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
sbr711, I'm not doubting your knowledge or reasoning, but why would Hyundai set the alignment to something other than optimal?

·
Registered
20 Posts
What would be nice to have is the steering feel adjustability of the Elantra gt. On the steering wheel is a button to select, comfort, normal, or sport. The button probably changes the EPS settings you mentioned.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks very much Mr. Vivona! I was complaining about the steering on my Azera for about a year when, thanks to XSOLARA and CARMINE who put me onto the TK7 upgrade which was for early 2012 models. I finally convinced my dealership to put the software on my car even though the Vin# didn't indicate so. However, the date of build did! The steering is greatly improved when driving straight ahead! My dealer service manager did tell me that the new Santa Fe had the adjustable steering, but did not know that you could do it by a software change to the Azeras.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What is the TK7 upgrade???
It was a computer upgrade or correction to a steering problem on some of the first build 2012 Azeras. This TSB was supposed to be done before being sold to customers. My azera was one of the first build cars sold in WI. The steering was fine but the dealership did the upgrade anyway. .... I did not notice any difference in steering quality. I am perfectly happy on how the car handles.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I spoke to my service writer on Saturday and he said that there are three settings for the steering feel. There is light, medium and heavy. He said that the cars from the factory come medium. It is really whatever your preferenc is. He said that light is loosy goosy. Kind of all over the road. The medium is in between the three and heavy requires a lot more effort by the driver. For me, I like the factory setting but it is nice to know that if you want a different feel, you can have it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
474 Posts
It was a computer upgrade or correction to a steering problem on some of the first build 2012 Azeras. This TSB was supposed to be done before being sold to customers. My azera was one of the first build cars sold in WI. The steering was fine but the dealership did the upgrade anyway. .... I did not notice any difference in steering quality. I am perfectly happy on how the car handles.
Thanks !!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I spoke to my service writer on Saturday and he said that there are three settings for the steering feel. There is light, medium and heavy. He said that the cars from the factory come medium. It is really whatever your preferenc is. He said that light is loosy goosy. Kind of all over the road. The medium is in between the three and heavy requires a lot more effort by the driver. For me, I like the factory setting but it is nice to know that if you want a different feel, you can have it.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for looking into this! I am happy with my steering but it is very interesting to know they can actually change this.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for looking into this! I am happy with my steering but it is very interesting to know they can actually change this.

I was as surprised as you are. I think it is great if you can tailor your steering to what you like the feel to be.

Interesting that Hyundai doesn't make mention of this anywhere.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm sure Hyundai doesn't want to start a run on dealers messing with steering adjustments and by the way this would not be covered under warranty

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd like to check back and see if there are any responses from the Hyundai people...while I don't feel the steering is "bad", I do notice that when lightly braking while coming to a stop, the car tends to want to drift to one side of the lane or the other, requiring me to correct slightly while braking. A minor nuisance, but noticeable.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As many of you know, I don't yet own an Azera. I'm planning on getting a 2014 model when they come out. Anyway, when I test drive a car here is what I look for in steering. It is more comprehensive than just the steering feel. Before you blast me for tests that involve driving with my hands off the wheel, remember that these are just tests and not how I normally drive. I do these tests on as flat a road as I can find and only when it is safe to do so.

1. Can you accelerate briskly from zero to 45 mph with your hands off the wheel without the car drifting out of the lane? This tests for torque steer which is steering drift caused by power being sent out of balance to the front wheels.

2. Can you stop firmly from 45 mph to full stop with your hands off the wheel without the car drifting out of the lane? This tests braking balance as well as steering geometry.

3. Is the low-speed (parking, city cornering) steering feel light enough to make it easy to do a lot of in-town driving without fatigue?

4. Is the highway speed steering feel firm enough to eliminate the need to make constant steering corrections?

5. When you turn a corner and let go of the wheel, will the car return back to center (straight ahead) on its own with very light acceleration? I have driven cars that, if you make a tight u-turn and let go of the wheel, the car would continue to drive in a circle unless you gunned it, or turned the wheel back to center yourself.

6. Maintaining highway speed, can you go at least 10 seconds with your hands off the wheel without the car drifting out of the lane?

7. If you are making a sweeping corner at speed, like an exit ramp or curve in a road, and you hit a bump in the road, will the car continue as intended, or will the bump make the car jump sideways?

8. Is the overall steering feel linear so that you simply go where you intend to without even thinking about the steering?

My current and previous Mitsubishis (an 1987 Galant and a 1999 Diamante, plus my wife's 2002 Diamante) easily passed these tests. Many rental cars I have driven do not. Some do. My wife's 2012 Santa Fe is not bad, but it is not as linear as the Mitsubishis.

I would hope the Azera will live up to my expectations. What has been your experience with the Azera?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts